Fulham vs Newcastle United 9/11/08 Pre-match thread

Taylor Swift

Owen and Guthrie set for place on the bench

Nov 7 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR will send out an unchanged side at Fulham on Sunday – with apologies to his skipper Michael Owen and midfielder Danny Guthrie.

Not surprisingly, the United boss will give the team which started Monday’s game with Aston Villa a vote of confidence, leaving Owen and Guthrie again on the bench.

Owen, of course, is just finding his way back after injury, but Guthrie has only let United down on one occasion since his summer switch from Liverpool, when the red mist came down against Hull and his reward was a similarly coloured card.

Said Kinnear today: “It was a hard decision to leave Danny Guthrie out on Monday, but I spoke to him and assured him that he still has a major part to play for this club.

“He is a young lad who really is still learning his trade, while Nicky Butt is an experienced player and that’s what I felt we needed on Monday.

“Not only that, but it was also about the shape of the team for, while Danny likes to get forward, Nicky has perfected the art of sitting in front of the back four.”

He's perfected the art because he CAN'T FOOKING RUN!

Given

Beye

Taylor

Colo

Bassong

Geremi

Barton

Guthrie

Jonas

Ameobi

Martins

2-1 win.

So you'd change three of the starting line-up that beat Villa 2-0 yet NOT bring back Owen? ???

I'd put out what I thought was the best team possible atm. Wasn't too sure if Owen was 100% so I didn't inckude him in the first XI.

Geremi in place of Duff is a huge call on current form. Bassong for Enrique is also an interesting call with the way José seems to be settling back into the side.

Same team as Villa for me.

It sounds like JFK is sticking with the same starting line up that beat Villa and there's nothing wrong with that.

A bench containing Owen, Guthrie, Zoggy, Bassong, Geremi and Harper is way better than some we've had this season.

Add Ranger to that bench and it's all good. :pow:

Guest nufc_kev

really? maybe optimistic thinking, but i was reckoning on an entertaining encounter, as fulham play good stuff at home, and we are in good form.

If they throw loads of men forward it gives the likes of Barton, Jonas and Martins to break on the counter attack. I'm hoping for some good stuff to be played.

Guest firetotheworks

Same team as against villa I reckon. Maybe Owen will play, but Kinnears daft if he drops Oba after hes just found his feet. Id be tempted to swap Butt for Guthrie, but there should be no change elsewhere, especially the back four.

I can see a very poor game, not a criticism of Newcastle, just can see a very scrappy game, with 1 goal winning it either day.

I'd think that last year, but we're playing different now. We've got a little spring in our step and I think we can get two goals past them.  :snod:

A limited number tickets remain available for Newcastle fans - these can be bought direct from the ticket office

at Craven Cottage.

Cash turnstiles will also be in operation at the so-called neutral section, which is adjacent to the away section in the Putney End.

I wish we didn't have to wait all weekend when was last time we were 3pm on a Saturday :(

If we played at 3pm today, we would most probably not be shown on the tv. I love that we dont play at 3pm, so I can watch the game :)