Fulham vs Newcastle United 9/11/08 Pre-match thread

Taylor Swift

It sounds like JFK is sticking with the same starting line up that beat Villa and there's nothing wrong with that.

A bench containing Owen, Guthrie, Zoggy, Bassong, Geremi and Harper is way better than some we've had this season.

Owen and Guthrie set for place on the bench

Nov 7 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR will send out an unchanged side at Fulham on Sunday – with apologies to his skipper Michael Owen and midfielder Danny Guthrie.

Not surprisingly, the United boss will give the team which started Monday’s game with Aston Villa a vote of confidence, leaving Owen and Guthrie again on the bench.

Owen, of course, is just finding his way back after injury, but Guthrie has only let United down on one occasion since his summer switch from Liverpool, when the red mist came down against Hull and his reward was a similarly coloured card.

Said Kinnear today: “It was a hard decision to leave Danny Guthrie out on Monday, but I spoke to him and assured him that he still has a major part to play for this club.

“He is a young lad who really is still learning his trade, while Nicky Butt is an experienced player and that’s what I felt we needed on Monday.

“Not only that, but it was also about the shape of the team for, while Danny likes to get forward, Nicky has perfected the art of sitting in front of the back four.”

Guest Stephen927

Hopefully we keep things unchanged. No real need to go messing about with the team who performed so well against Villa and who beat West Brom.

I love how the win over Villa completely changed the optimism for this game. I can see us winning, hopefully we win our next two games and salvage this season.

Hopefully we keep things unchanged. No real need to go messing about with the team who performed so well against Villa and who beat West Brom.

I love how the win over Villa completely changed the optimism for this game. I can see us winning, hopefully we win our next two games and salvage this season.

Europe here we come woohoo  :frantic:

Given

Beye

Taylor

Colo

Bassong

Geremi

Barton

Guthrie

Jonas

Ameobi

Martins

2-1 win.

So you'd change three of the starting line-up that beat Villa 2-0 yet NOT bring back Owen? ???

I'd put out what I thought was the best team possible atm. Wasn't too sure if Owen was 100% so I didn't inckude him in the first XI.

Guest Stephen927

I'm talking top half  :lol:

Yeah I was just kidding,  although the intertoto isn't out of the realms of possibility depending who wins the cups etc.  I'd take 12th personally though.

Guest Stephen927

Yeah I was just kidding,  although the intertoto isn't out of the realms of possibility depending who wins the cups etc.  I'd take 12th personally though.

I don't think there is an Intertoto next season. :(

All about keeping this bunch of players fit which will prove to be impossible for the most part. Shame, cos our first team is very good but our squad is a bit iffy.

also from this season,

runners up in the cups don't get a euro place if the cup winner has already qualified,

therefore handing more euro places to the league

Guest LucasUnger

It sounds like JFK is sticking with the same starting line up that beat Villa and there's nothing wrong with that.

A bench containing Owen, Guthrie, Zoggy, Bassong, Geremi and Harper is way better than some we've had this season.

best bench we had for a long time.

With everyone fit, there would be a few "senior players" left disappointed at not even being on the bench, which isn't bad considering you can now have 7 on there.

I can't recall us ever having players that should arguably be a squad/first team player not even making the bench.

As said in another thread, I don't think our problem is lack of depth, its more lack of quality in areas of the first 11.

With everyone fit, there would be a few "senior players" left disappointed at not even being on the bench, which isn't bad considering you can now have 7 on there.

I can't recall us ever having players that should arguably be a squad/first team player not even making the bench.

As said in another thread, I don't think our problem is lack of depth, <b>its more lack of quality in areas of the first 11.</b>

I agree, DM, LB and CB.  If we could improve those we'd be much stronger.

At this point in time I see where your coming from with Enrique but I think he could be a good player for us given a run of games, certainly good enough to be in a team challenging for a higher position. If the rest of the team around him is of a decent standard of course.

As said in another thread, I don't think our problem is lack of depth, <b>its more lack of quality in areas of the first 11.</b>

Gonna have to disagree with both of you.

When we have everyone available we've got a canny side, not top 4, but certainly top half.

Its once we get our usual 2/3/4 first-teamers out that it shows our lack squad depth/quality. For example, we lose our LB and RB, and we're having to use either a midfielder (Geremi or Zog) or throw a centre-half out there.

Its no coincidence we've got points and climbed the table with our only key players coming back, and we were bottom without them.