Fulham vs Newcastle United 9/11/08 Pre-match thread

Taylor Swift

With Martins' confidence as it is, we've got a chance of winning any game regardless of how bad we're playing. I know he's hardly as prolific or as effective as the great man, but he's like Shearer in that respect: whilst he's on the pitch, and he's playing well, you've got a chance of winning the game.

It wouldn't be unlike us to bomb, but i'm still confident.

i dont agree with the Shearer comparison because certainly in his years with us he relied heavily on the players around him performing well

I know what you mean about Martins though, I said it before and during the Villa game, he's the only player at this club capable of winning a game with scraps to feed on. If he's on form, we can get a result against anyone

Bullsh!t. Shearer pretty much did it all.

That's not true. Sure, we were a much, much better side with Shearer in the starting XI but towards the end of his career players like Bellamy/Robert had a huge effect on his effectiveness and ability to find the net.

Yea, well maybe in term of work rate, but he was in a quite good condition considering his age.  If you look around there's only a share few who can be considered to have the same value (eg. Giggs at Man Utd). But Shearer meant a trillion times more than just that to the team, and with him on the field we were pretty much guaranteed at least one goal. Shearer was imho synonymous to a consistent goal scorer. Not to forget we had 10 men on the field that did fuck all, and then you still had Shearer being there banging the goals for us.

Taylor and Enrique struggling with injuries, Taylor definitely out

:o What a shame. I hope its Bassong, but I'd expect Cacapa.

Wait?...Wha?..It's wierd for me to only hear about half our starting defense being injured 50 minutes before a match. I hadn't heard anything about this.

Guest timmy boy

Not sure about Cacapa, maybe would of preferred Bassong in the centre as he seems stronger than Cacapa and better in the air, although Cacapa is better on the ball.

FFC: Mark Schwarzer, John Pantsil, Paul Konchesky, Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes, Zoltan Gera, Danny Murphy, Jimmy Bullard, Simon Davies, Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora

Subs: Chris Baird, Clint Dempsey, Erik Nevland, Pascal Zuberbuhler, Fredrik Stoor, Leon Andreasen, Julian Gray

NUFC: Shay Given, Habib Beye, Jose Enrique, Claudio Cacapa, Fabricio Coloccini, Nicky Butt, Joey Barton, Jonas Gutierrez, Damien Duff, Shola Ameobi, Oba Martins

Subs: Steve Harper, Sebastien Bassong, Michael Owen, Geremi, Charles N'Zogbia, Danny Guthrie, Andy Carroll

Pity Taylor is out tbh, he and Colo were definitely starting to click.

My worry is that we'll struggle in the air, neither Cacapa or Colo are particularly good in that regard.

I can see Zamora bullying Cacapa and Johnson has the kind of pace to worry him too. think i wouldve preferred Bassong.

Pity Taylor is out tbh, he and Colo were definitely starting to click.

My worry is that we'll struggle in the air, neither Cacapa or Colo are particularly good in that regard.

I can see Zamora bullying Cacapa and Johnson has the kind of pace to worry him too. think i wouldve preferred Bassong.

Zamora couldnt bully a child. Think Cacapa will do fine although im not sure as to how the balance of the defence will work - they both seem like too simlair players.  Would of prefered Bassong.

Guest timmy boy

Yeah Zamora for his size isn't the bravest or strongest from what I have seen of him.Didn't hold it up well at Everton when I watched them and wasn't great in the air.

Yeah Zamora for his size isn't the bravest or strongest from what I have seen of him.Didn't hold it up well at Everton when I watched them and wasn't great in the air.

he's up against strong players like yobo and jagielka vs everton.

look at his performance against arsenal earlier in the season vs gallas and toure who are, anyway, much stronger and better adjusted to the prem than Cacapa, or even Colo for that matter. totally dominated them.