Ashley, it’s time to honour Sir Bobby

Skirge

Ashley, it’s time to honour Sir Bobby

Nov 5 2008 The Journal

SO, all will be revealed about the state of the club after we’ve slaughtered Chelsea and avenged both our beloved rivals’ recent 5-0 hammerings.

For someone who’s been out of the game for four years, JFK didn’t take long to get taken into the confidence of Ashley. Given the standing of Mr Ashley and his cabal up here, it may be wise for Joe to keep out of the politics, and concentrate on the football.

Speaking of which, much praise must be heaped on JFK and the team for the victory over Villa. Hopefully the benefits of a settled back four will mean a few more clean sheets, because I’ll always back us to score at least one.

There was the usual controversy with Barton, but the bottom line is, this is going to be his lot for the foreseeable future.

Opposition managers are going to tell their players to wind him up. I remember Inter Milan doing it to Craig Bellamy in the halcyon days of our Champions League campaigns.

As for the sale, it would appear we are down to two serious bidders. Of course, we have to bear in mind this information is from a banking company employed to oversee the sale. I remain cautious on that score.

Finally, this is a repeat appeal to Mike Ashley from a few months ago.

Nobody could fail to have been moved by recent pictures of Sir Bobby Robson in his valiant battle against cancer.

So if you do nothing else for this club Mr Ashley, whether you stay or go, I urge you to name a stand after this distinguished and honourable man. I would urge supporters who share this view, to e-mail, write to or telephone the club and apply pressure.

In an age where even a modicum of talent attracts the word ‘star’ let us honour someone who truly deserves that title.

Without wishing to doubt the fighting qualities of Sir Bob, this must be done sooner rather than later.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/11/05/ashley-it-s-time-to-honour-sir-bobby-61634-22185530/

I'm sure that Bobby would take greater pride having part of the acadamy or some initiative named after him than a stand.

I'd be all for the 'Sir Bobby Robson Suite' at SJP, or even an executive box on top of the Bobby Robson Acadamy.

The stands should not be named after managers/players/owners. There are only four of them and you are bound to leave out someone worthy of the honour

Personally, would have the acadmey named after him, having said that SBR is synonomous with Newcastle the city like no other manager is with another city. I think he represents more than just his achievments for this football club and can easily see a stand being renamed after him as being more than a football honour but more of an honour for the city.

Guest neesy111

I've had this argument many a time before, no disrespect to Sir Bob, but people like Joe Harvey are more worthy of having a stand or something like that named after them.

exactly totally agree, or even bobby moncur someone that has lifted a trophy

Guest firetotheworks

I think something is better than nothing, not a stand though. The Academy would be a good choice I reckon, and one youd imagine he'd prefer.

I've had this argument many a time before, no disrespect to Sir Bob, but people like Joe Harvey are more worthy of having a stand or something like that named after them.

Think the big picture though - this club is more than just football its the heartbeat of the city and is economically and historicaly linked with the city, i cant thinks of a more apt person who epitomises what the club stands for than SBR. Think about it in terms of the city, not just Football achievemnts at this club.

Guest firetotheworks

Why would Ashley give a s***?

So he can say to all his mates 'I gave them Jonas, paid the debts and a bobby robson statue and they still drove me out of town, theres no helping them'

He's a cunt, though.

I agree too, except who's "like" Joe Harvey? Lifted trophies as both captain and manager -- and no one has done either since.

As much as a great bloke he is, SBRs big achievments came at other clubs.

Considering how highly he is thought of across the country (and considering he managed England), surely it would be more apt to name something at Wembley in his honour.

whatever happens, something needs to be done for him by nufc fans, or ideally football fans in general soon. its all well and good loads of people turning up at his funeral but its not gonna make him feel any better is it, not being morbid or anything but haway lets get something sorted out.

If Ashley can't find a buyer mind, could be a good PR stunt.

Right up Mr Ashley's alleyway.

This would be the crowning achievement in an already impressive resume as such, and would compliment the rubbish spouted when he has spilled his guts to the press ie. 'i've always hated Spurs' - ie. as a counterpoint to his London-based roots - and his 'it's time for me don the suit/have some influence in running the club' remarks. These are just two press related examples, along with his forays among the supporters on matchday and accompanying 'King Kev' replica shirt.

Some of the shit he's come out, when needed, have been selective, opportunistic and very well timed.

Correct. But how many people will fall for Ashley's new drive for popularity, some people must be really stupid  bluelaugh.gif