Anyone think we've progressed in the past 2 and a half years?

Nobby

Aye, must have been a canny bunch of players out injured for that game!

By way of comparison, the team we put out at West Ham earlier this season wan't much better:

Given

Edgar

Taylor

Coloccini

N'Zogbia

Geremi

Cacapa

Butt

Duff

Owen

Xisco

Yep I just looked at that as well which represents now at the height of an injury crisis. I'd say this side has more quality than the 2006 one though.

Roeder had an abysmal squad, obviously the board at that time didn't want to back their manager too heavily in the transfer market. Martins was probably the only significant signing during his time in charge iirc.

I think I just saw the Shepherd bat signal. *Takes cover*.

By way of comparison, the team we put out at West Ham earlier this season wan't much better:

Given

Edgar

Taylor

Coloccini

N'Zogbia

Geremi

Cacapa

Butt

Duff

Owen

Xisco

Yep I just looked at that as well which represents now at the height of an injury crisis. I'd say this side has more quality than the 2006 one though.

Owen's talking about finishing in a European place. It might be a bit ambitious but when you consider we just beat Villa who are pushing for a top 4 slot it's maybe not that far fetched. Shame about all the uncertainty around the club though.

Guest shearer_206

Matty Pattison and Amdy Faye midfield partnership.

f***ing hell.

Ah Matty Pattison. My first hate  :smitten:.

I was at the game, he was fucking shite an' all...!

Matty Pattison and Amdy Faye midfield partnership.

f***ing hell.

Ah Matty Pattison. My first hate  :smitten:.

I was at the game, he was f***ing s**** an' all...!

Plus he was bald. I could have tolerated him if he had kept the lolzy ginger afro.

Roeder had an abysmal squad, obviously the board at that time didn't want to back their manager too heavily in the transfer market. Martins was probably the only significant signing during his time in charge iirc.

Wrong thread. :lol:

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

Perhaps as way of proper comparison you'd like to post a team from today's squad without 6 first team midfielders and 2 best strikers (Bowyer, Dyer, Emre, Parker, Luque, Milner, Shearer, Owen from that squad iirc)

Guest Stephen927

The team we put out against Villa is better in almost every way possible. Our squad still doesn't have much depth thats one thing thats never changed since then.

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

Perhaps as way of proper comparison you'd like to post a team from today's squad without 7 first team midfielders and 2 best strikers (Bowyer, Dyer, Emre, Parker, Jenas, Luque, Milner, Shearer, Owen from that squad iirc)

Jenas was at Spurs by then.

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

Perhaps as way of proper comparison you'd like to post a team from today's squad without 7 first team midfielders and 2 best strikers (Bowyer, Dyer, Emre, Parker, Jenas, Luque, Milner, Shearer, Owen from that squad iirc)

I don't think Jenas was there then.

Wrong thread. :lol:

I did think twice before mentioning it but jesus...if you are talking about a threadbare squad which can't handle injuries, that one was dismal, despite the results.

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

Yup, you're right. I edited, but too late. Only 6 injuries in midfield.

Given

Edgar

Taylor

Coloccini

N'Zogbia

Geremi

Cacapa

Butt

Duff

Owen

Xisco

Owen's talking about finishing in a European place. It might be a bit ambitious but when you consider we just beat Villa who are pushing for a top 4 slot it's maybe not that far fetched. Shame about all the uncertainty around the club though.

If you was to replace Taylor with a decent CB, Butt with a decent DM, and have everyone in the first team actually playing to their ability (massive IF), then going for a European spot shouldn't be beyond the set of players we have.

Squad size and quality are better yes, but the club is in a mess, a part time manager and an owner wanting to sell after a mass protest from the fans, thats not moving forward. Once we have some stability then we have a very good chance of seeing some good days back at the Toon, I just hope its sooner rahter than later.

Squad size and quality are better yes, but the club is in a mess, a part time manager and an owner wanting to sell after a mass protest from the fans, thats not moving forward. Once we have some stability then we have a very good chance of seeing some good days back at the Toon, I just hope its sooner rahter than later.

If it wasn't for the spelling mistake right at the end I'd have thought someone had hacked your account.

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

I'd still back the squad we've built since then to tan the arses off that one led by Roeder. How many of them would you have wanted to keep?

Harper

Carr Taylor Ramage Huntington

Milner Parker Butt Duff

Martins Sibierski

That's the squad we were forced to play for most of 2006-2007 due to first-team inuries.

Even if you bring back some of our better injured players like Dyer, Emre and Bramble(yes, bramble. He was the best CB we had that season.) the squad is still shocking. (You can't really say Owen was an NUFC player in 2006-2007. Roeder had him at his disposal for about two matches)

Let me put that into perspective for you. That back line?

One of them is currently the weakest member of our back four.

The second plays in the Championship.

The third is a squad player for a League One side.

The last one is currently without a club and will never play football at the top level again.

The more you think about it the fact that we weren't relegated that year seems more and more like an achievement. Our defense that year was arguably worse than Derby's ever was.

Harper

Carr Taylor Ramage Huntington

Milner Parker Butt Duff

Martins Sibierski

That's the squad we were forced to play for most of 2006-2007 due to first-team inuries.

Even if you bring back some of our better injured players like Dyer, Emre and Bramble(yes, bramble. He was the best CB we had that season.) the squad is still shocking. (You can't really say Owen was an NUFC player in 2006-2007. Roeder had him at his disposal for about two matches)

Let me put that into perspective for you. That back line?

One of them is currently the weakest member of our back four.

The second plays in the Championship.

The third is a squad player for a League One side.

The last one is currently without a club and will never play football at the top level again.

The more you think about it the fact that we weren't relegated that year seems more and more like an achievement. Our defense that year was arguably worse than Derby's ever was.

It's hard to see anyone in that side who isn't still on the team that I would have right now, with the exception of Milner, perhaps.

I truly think that we're one or two players away from having a really competitive team. The fact is that we should have gotten those players during the last transfer window, but we're still improving.

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

It is a ridiculous comparison. Our best first team in 2006-2007 would have looked like this:

Given

Solano

Taylor

Moore

Babayaro

Dyer

Parker

Emre

N'Zogbia

Martins

Owen

We would have the following alternatives:

Harper, Krul

Carr

Bramble, Edgar, Ramage

Onyewu, Huntington

Bernard

Duff

Butt

Milner, Patisson

Luque

Sibierski, Ameobi

Rossi, Carroll

Source: http://www.nufc.com/html/2006-07html/app-goals.html

That is not a bad squad, and the first team you have selected there was in an extreme injury crisis. In context, as UV says, what team would we be able to field if we would have to do without: Collocini (Taylor was out as well), Jonas, Butt, Barton, Duff, N'Zogbia, Guthrie, Owen and Martins? The defence would be considerably stronger than it was back then, but we wouldn't look thrilling by any means:

Given

Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique

Geremi LuaLua Smith Gonzalez

Ameobi Xisco

Team to play Birmingham

Given

Carr

Moore

Bramble

Babayaro

Solano

Faye

Pattison

N'Zogbia

Ameobi

Chopra

It is a ridiculous comparison. Our best first team in 2006-2007 would have looked like this:

Given

Solano

Taylor

Moore

Babayaro

Dyer

Parker

Emre

N'Zogbia

Martins

Owen

We would have the following alternatives:

Harper, Krul

Carr

Bramble, Edgar, Ramage

Onyewu, Huntington

Bernard

Duff

Butt

Milner, Patisson

Luque

Sibierski, Ameobi

Rossi, Carroll

Source: http://www.nufc.com/html/2006-07html/app-goals.html

That is not a bad squad, and the first team you have selected there was in an extreme injury crisis. In context, as UV says, what team would we be able to field if we would have to do without: Collocini (Taylor was out as well), Jonas, Butt, Barton, Duff, N'Zogbia, Guthrie, Owen and Martins? The defence would be considerably stronger than it was back then, but we wouldn't look thrilling by any means:

Given

Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique

Geremi LuaLua Smith Gonzalez

Ameobi Xisco

you do it on purpose dont you man, fuck off