Chelsea 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

Our CM pairing are still a bit slow in covering the space between them and the defence but we can't drop too deep or one goal will really open the floodgates. Most of their attacks have come from Bosingwa (who Duff just leaves for Enrique, who's marking to Cole, to also mark) or their wingers drifting into the space in the middle, so we've gotta watch out for that.

Neither Butt or Guthrie have any sort of engine. i love how good guthrie's first touch and short-passing are, but he is essentially a five-a-side player and is clueless about how to utilise and cover the whole length/width of the pitch. Butt needs no explanation as his legs have gone.

RE: Martins. Was a simple mistake when he miscontrolled the ball and let it roll under his foot, no doubt about that one.

however, he also had one superb knock-down and one superb lay-off, both to Guthrie in the first half, a skilful first touch swivel to win a freekick and a genuinely top class through ball to Jonas to create a chance. For the backheel he's worked the channel well, picks the ball up and uses good control and strength to hold off the defender. as he has his back turned to him, and doesnt have eyes in the back of his head, he backheels a ball into a dangerous, open space. Had Duff, or even Owen, been supporting him as they shouldve been by moving into that open space, we would be applauding an excellent piece of play. to criticise him for taking a risk in an upfield position like that completely misses the point, you have to try stuff like that, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesnt. if you dont take risks you get Alan Smith.

That's about right.

I honestly can't see what Enrique has done bad this half, defensively speaking. He's hit a few stray passes sure, but one-on-one defensively he's been assured. He's looks like he hasn't got any pace at all, but no one has gotten past him. The one defensive error he makes from time to time is the same as the one Duff is doing, he's inviting the opposition into the area far too much for my liking.

Other than that, Bassong has been outstanding (Who said that a CB from a relegated French team would be disastrous?), Coloccini has been good, Gutierrez has been really good defensively and offers us something on the break. Owen has been anonymous offensively (as have the rest of the team) but has done a great job defensively.

All-in-all it's been a good first half from the lads and the right team selection from Kinnear.

We did well, considering who we're playing against.

Our CM pairing are still a bit slow in covering the space between them and the defence but we can't drop too deep or one goal will really open the floodgates.

And still you think Bassong has been our best player?

Yes. How many shots has Anelka had in the box? Zip, zero, zilch, nada. Bassong's overwhelmed their attackers in the air and he's made a couple of nice tackles as well. Done nothing wrong.

Bassong has been quality in the first half, surprised how well he's done tbh.

I honestly can't see what Enrique has done bad this half, defensively speaking. He's hit a few stray passes sure, but one-on-one defensively he's been assured. He's looks like he hasn't got any pace at all, but no one has gotten past him. The one defensive error he makes from time to time is the same as the one Duff is doing, he's inviting the opposition into the area far too much for my liking.

think enrique got better as the half went on as he started to be more aggressive, won two good challenges by using his strength.

I honestly can't see why Enrique even bothers nowadays tbh!