Maintenance Updates

Guest SteveRawlinson

Has anyone noticed that all the auto youtube imbedding has stopped working this week?

It only doesn't work where the uploader has designated embedding is not allowed. This happens often on YouTube because they want you to visit their channel instead.

Ah, my bad, just observed that quite a few consecutive videos on the youtube thread hadn't been embedded so jumped to conclusions.

Couple of minutes! It was 30 seconds!! :laugh:

Just me messing on again, it'll stop now. I'm a bad lad.

Pretty sure it lasted for a good couple of minutes or so there for me, might have just been a case of my cache playing catch-up or something.

You dudes do ask that we report everything and anything, to be fair...

Pretty sure it lasted for a good couple of minutes or so there for me, might have just been a case of my cache playing catch-up or something.

Calm down dear. I thought the two "!!" and the :laugh: would be safety enough man!

O0 :lol: :blush:

Calm down dear. I thought the two "!!" and the :laugh: would be safety enough man!

O0 :lol: :blush:

I was hardly being all that serious myself, sweetie.

:-*

Ah well. It lasted the entire 90 minutes at least and it going down for a brief moment isn't too bad when we've basically just had 100 people logging onto the forum at once.

Considering the state the forum software is STILL in (we're still sorting out some absolutely major stuff that it's missing, basically, which should improve things no end) I'm personally amazed it's done as well as it has since the move.

The problems we've been having aren't server related, they're to do with our forum lacking a lot of what a forum of this size needs (namely an optimizer/accelerator that can improve performance by 80%, having all our images hosted off-site which also supposedly makes a huge difference and the fact that our database isn't fully tweaked yet to work with the forum).

The hosts are installing all of that stuff for us as we speak though and they should be in soon. I'd expect SMF errors to be banished with all of that happening.

I know it sounds crazy, but we are actually one of the biggest SMF forums on the internet - especially when you consider how many posts we've deleted from here over the years (our archive only goes back to January 1st 2007 now).

The biggest SMF forum (redandwhitekop) has 6 million messages over almost 6 years of running, we have around 1.2 million in less than 2 years, so imagine how close we'd be to that size if we'd kept everything since 2005.

Just to give people an idea of the scale we're working with here.

Where are the names gone from the top of the screen saying who's online?

They're turned off to improve performance. There are a few tweaks being tried out in this way, such as the number of threads per page.

An Error Has Occurred!

The server is currently under high stress. Please try again shortly.

Probably just worrying about finances etc. with christmas coming up.

Perfectly understandable.

• 2 weeks later...