Maintenance Updates

Guest SteveRawlinson

It's a hit and miss thing, you have to time it juuuuuust right.

I've given up reporting problems but I've got to say that since you came back I haven't had any so thanks.

Aww thanks, it's nice to be appreciated, even if it is just a form of Schadenfreude.

In your face, Andrew!!

I'm fiddling with the avatars as they've been pinpointed as a reason why we may still be experiencing dodgy performance, you'll have to bear with me a bit.

Apparently the problems we're having a more to do with the forum software being poorly configured than the new server (this is according to the SMF tech support guys.)

I'm fiddling with the avatars as they've been pinpointed as a reason why we may still be experiencing dodgy performance, you'll have to bear with me a bit.

Apparently the problems we're having a more to do with the forum software being poorly configured than the new server (this is according to the SMF tech support guys.)

Cheers Rich. No worries.  :thup:

I can't see any avatars and yes they are turned on.

Glad it's not just you. I thought something bad had happened to my wee Bobby the Gorilla picture.

EDIT: It has. It's now Gordon Brown. :frantic:

Aye, we might have to go back to pre-Xmas avatars to get this working unfortunately!

I'll explain the gist of what the problem was: as was currently set-up, avatars were being stored as an extension of www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php which means that every time an avatar loads on a page (each single avatar per post) we were basically loading an entire "page" rather than the single "image", which is obviously putting unnecessary load on the server.

In order to remedy this problem you need to move all avatars from their current location to a brand new directory within the server FTP, plus change multiple settings along with it. Unfortunately the need is such that we probably have to go back to the last stored set of avatars, which was done before all the Xmas stuff got uploaded.

Once we get the process done, though, people will simply be able to re-upload their Xmas/new avatar again and they'll be stored in the new directory and we won't have to fiddle with them ever again.

I know it's frustrating, but basically we're starting to do things "right" as far as the forum goes so that we can get the very best performance out of it. As it stands there's an awful lot that simply hasn't been configured correctly and doesn't run properly which leads to crashes and errors and slowness.

We've got a checklist to work through now, basically, but the avatars should be the only things that affect you guys too much.

Aye, we might have to go back to pre-Xmas avatars to get this working unfortunately!

I'll explain the gist of what the problem was: as was currently set-up, avatars were being stored as an extension of www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php which means that every time an avatar loads on a page (each single avatar per post) we were basically loading an entire "page" rather than the single "image", which is obviously putting unnecessary load on the server.

In order to remedy this problem you need to move all avatars from their current location to a brand new directory within the server FTP, plus change multiple settings along with it. Unfortunately the need is such that we probably have to go back to the last stored set of avatars, which was done before all the Xmas stuff got uploaded.

Once we get the process done, though, people will simply be able to re-upload their Xmas/new avatar again and they'll be stored in the new directory and we won't have to fiddle with them ever again.

I know it's frustrating, but basically we're starting to do things "right" as far as the forum goes so that we can get the very best performance out of it. As it stands there's an awful lot that simply hasn't been configured correctly and doesn't run properly which leads to crashes and errors and slowness.

We've got a checklist to work through now, basically, but the avatars should be the only things that affect you guys too much.

That was just a noise.

Sorry. It's fucking tedious, I know.

The reasons for doing it are worthwhile basically, even though it's a bit of pain in the arse for all those who've changed their avatar since near December.

Won't happen again!

Has anyone noticed that all the auto youtube imbedding has stopped working this week?

It only doesn't work where the uploader has designated embedding is not allowed. This happens often on YouTube because they want you to visit their channel instead.