Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest elbee909

......Soooooooooooooo Bassong is great isn't he......

Yes - it's massively encouraging that we have someone like this in our ranks, but I just hope he doesn't get slaughtered if he has a dip in form.  We do like to build them up.

lets hope he doesn't go the way of this particular team-mate

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_4686781,00.html

N'Zogbia's future at St James' Park has been the subject of conjecture amid reports that he has grown frustrated with his inconsistent chances in the first team.

The likes of Arsenal and Paris St Germain have been mooted as interested parties in the winger, while skysports.com understands Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is an admirer of his talent.

N'Zogbia is keen for a new challenge away from Tyneside and is hopeful of sealing an exit in the near future.

He told L'Equipe: " After four years at Newcastle, I want to reach a higher level of ambition. I don't think that is possible here.

no ambition ?

Villa bigger and more ambitious than Newcastle ? Well, they acted it in the past, but not since 1992 they haven't been, until now that is.

Yes, why not steer the thread that way?  Bloody egomaniac.

Keep ignoring the reason he may leave if it suits you not to believe it then.

Entirely irrelevant to a thread on Bassong.  You can tie every bloody thread into the same subject if you try hard enough.  And you do try.  If only so you can have pops at people. 

Like I said - egomaniac.

eeerrrr........the thread is about BAssong, and why he might go, or stay. People have mentioned the fact that they hope we can keep him, and so do I, but I'm pointing out that the club will have to do much better. Whats wrong with this ? Has it occurred to you that if the club was run well, I'd have nothing to point out ? Like when I didn't point out such things when the club DID show ambition, unlike people like you who harped on and moaned on constantly about the fact you thought the club was run badly and managed badly despite being one of the most successful in the country ? Why didn't you moan on at people for criticising then ?

I'm not derailing this thread. Its the likes of you that are derailing this thread, because you have no factual reply, so why not accept it, admit it and accept I have my point of view the same as you do which happens to be one that is borne out of factual information and not something made up or down to a personality based agenda.

I hope that this can be the case in future.

BTW , I've posted positive comments on Joe Kinnear, snd have done so before the last 2 games, because they are deserved. Look at them. For some reason they also seem to be against the general consensus, whatever that means, work it out, but a few people are starting to think the same as me (again) .......

N'Zogbia's future at St James' Park has been the subject of conjecture amid reports that he has grown frustrated with his inconsistent chances in the first team.

The likes of Arsenal and Paris St Germain have been mooted as interested parties in the winger, while skysports.com understands Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is an admirer of his talent.

N'Zogbia is keen for a new challenge away from Tyneside and is hopeful of sealing an exit in the near future.

He told L'Equipe: " After four years at Newcastle, I want to reach a higher level of ambition. I don't think that is possible here.

no ambition ?

Villa bigger and more ambitious than Newcastle ? Well, they acted it in the past, but not since 1992 they haven't been, until now that is.

Yes, why not steer the thread that way?  Bloody egomaniac.

Keep ignoring the reason he may leave if it suits you not to believe it then.

Entirely irrelevant to a thread on Bassong.  You can tie every bloody thread into the same subject if you try hard enough.  And you do try.  If only so you can have pops at people. 

Like I said - egomaniac.

eeerrrr........the thread is about BAssong, and why he might go, or stay. People have mentioned the fact that they hope we can keep him, and so do I, but I'm pointing out that the club will have to do much better. Whats wrong with this ? Has it occurred to you that if the club was run well, I'd have nothing to point out ? Like when I didn't point out such things when the club DID show ambition, unlike people like you who harped on and moaned on constantly about the fact you thought the club was run badly and managed badly despite being one of the most successful in the country ? Why didn't you moan on at people for criticising then ?

I'm not derailing this thread. Its the likes of you that are derailing this thread, because you have no factual reply, so why not accept it, admit it and accept I have my point of view the same as you do which happens to be one that is borne out of factual information and not something made up or down to a personality based agenda.

I hope that this can be the case in future.

Yes, the thread is about Bassong.  Then you post something about Zoggy who may or may not have expressed his usual yearly may or may not be going/staying stuff and that's relevant to Bassong how?  Oh, he's his team-mate.  Yes, that'll be it.

I'm not derailing this thread.  You are.  Again, as you do, time and time again.  The one with most persistent personality driven agenda is you.  You should take your 'factual information' and go and ruin your own forum with it.

Personalities don't bother me, I have a terrible attitude that I actually like people who do well for the club in terms of results on the pitch, and don't particularly feel the same about those who damage this or run it down. Terrible thing I agree, but there you go.

Guest elbee909

I'd be careful here, he might turn into another Taylor if we get ahead of ourselves.

He just needs to be left alone to progress, but I think it's a sign of how desperate we are for young players to make the step up that we heap the pressure on.

no ambition ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N'Zogbia make noises about leaving when the previous regime was incumbent?

Guest elbee909

no ambition ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N'Zogbia make noises about leaving when the previous regime was incumbent?

Yes, but please let's not have a discussion about 'regimes', let's all agree Bassong is great and have a good sexy Christmas time.

no ambition ?

Yes, but please let's not have a discussion about 'regimes', let's all agree Bassong is great and have a good sexy Christmas time.

I concur twice over.

no ambition ?

correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't go, did he ?

no ambition ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't gone, has he?

I'd be careful here, he might turn into another Taylor if we get ahead of ourselves.

Taylor's never ever looked this good in the shirt tbh.

Correct. Taylor's best ever performances in all his years in the first team haven't been as good as Bassong's best. The frenchman LOOKS a completely different player. A level above. I put that down to having a better understanding of the game at such a young age.

no ambition ?

:lol:  How do you get your argumetns so water-tight?

Whats your feelings on Bassong? Good signing by the scouting team?

no ambition ?

thought after the Coventry game he looked good as a left back and he had something. He's superb as a centre back.

As for the scouting team, most people get some signings right, credit where it is due. Shame they also found xisco and that other bloke, whatisname, Fernandez ? .

All our managers have made some good signings though, the real shame is that the good signings made have been offset by selling a player the manager wanted to keep and not giving him the money to buy his own player(s) with it rather than looking like its offset the fee for Colocinni. Dalglish signed Given, Solano, Speed, Hamman. Gullit bought Dyer and Ferguson. Roeder bought Martins and Duff. Allardyce bought Beye, Enrique. Even the fuckwit Souness bought Owen [lets not speculate Shearer played a big part and keep it consistent as Souness was the manager] but lost that by kicking out Bellamy and Robert

I've explained this before. Good clubs bring in players to strengthen the team as the manager sees fit, not sell one to buy one and make money or save money from it all.

My quibble is with the overall attitude of the club, and the fact that they are behaving like a 2nd rate club, which became clear to me some time ago. They will make some good signing and bad signings, but aren't looking to add players to the current good ones to the extent that they have shown ambition to put the club where it should be. Simple fact is, even this "buying up the youngsters" stuff has been grossly over-exaggerated on here. People make out the club has never done it before, I pointed out this was wrong, and listed a load of players to prove it, and it led to the thread being locked. If you want to compete with the trophy winning clubs you have to seriously compete with them. Stop making excuses and making naive suggestions that it can be done on the cheap, because it can't.

I'll give you some more examples. Who are the last good youngsters manu have bought ? I'll tell you who they have bought. Nani (21) for 17m, Anderson (19) for 18m. We won't even mention Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. Even Arsenal have bought Walcott (17) for 12m, Nasri for 15m. Liverpool have bought Torres for 23m. I won't mention Robbie Keane because of his age, but he has cost them close to 20m quid. We have, in the young player stakes, apart from Bassong, bought Xisco for 5m, Guthrie for 2.5m this summer. People like you think that our scouting team are going to find players like this for 2 or 3m quid or less ? Do you think people like Ferguson, Benitez and Wenger are amateurs and are going to allow someone like Denis Wise to beat them to the best players, and do you think the clubs are going to accept bids of a few million quid from us when others are prepared to pay 4 or 5 times that amount to back their managers, or do you think our scouting team is so superior to that of other top clubs that they will find these players before other clubs do and their value goes up ? if you do, then you are suggesting the scouting teams of the other top clubs are incompetent at best for not spotting these players earlier and thus putting their clubs in the position whereby they need to pay these unnecessary fees ?

The only chance we have of signing these sort of players, is if we are in the Champions league and matching these teams, or being seen to be at least trying to get up with them, as soon as possible.

Thats reality. Not dreaming.

no ambition ?

thought after the Coventry game he looked good as a left back and he had something. He's superb as a centre back.

As for the scouting team, most people get some signings right, credit where it is due. Shame they also found xisco and that other bloke, whatisname, Fernandez ? .

All our managers have made some good signings though, the real shame is that the good signings made have been offset by selling a player the manager wanted to keep and not giving him the money to buy his own player(s) with it rather than looking like its offset the fee for Colocinni. Dalglish signed Given, Solano, Speed, Hamman. Gullit bought Dyer and Ferguson. Roeder bought Martins and Duff. Allardyce bought Beye, Enrique. Even the fuckwit Souness bought Owen [lets not speculate Shearer played a big part and keep it consistent as Souness was the manager] but lost that by kicking out Bellamy and Robert

I've explained this before. Good clubs bring in players to strengthen the team as the manager sees fit, not sell one to buy one and make money or save money from it all.

My quibble is with the overall attitude of the club, and the fact that they are behaving like a 2nd rate club, which became clear to me some time ago. They will make some good signing and bad signings, but aren't looking to add players to the current good ones to the extent that they have shown ambition to put the club where it should be. Simple fact is, even this "buying up the youngsters" stuff has been grossly over-exaggerated on here. People make out the club has never done it before, I pointed this out and it led to the thread being locked. If you want to compete with the trophy winning clubs you have to seriously compete with them. Stop making excuses and making naive suggestions that it can be done on the cheap, because it can't.

I'll give you some more examples. Who are the last good youngsters manu have bought ? I'll tell you who they have bought. Nani (21) for 17m, Anderson (19) for 18m. We won't even mention Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. Even Arsenal have bought Walcott (17) for 12m, Nasri for 15m. Liverpool have bought Torres for 23m. I won't mention Robbie Keane because of his age, but he has cost them close to 20m quid. We have, in the young player stakes, apart from Bassong, bought Xisco for 5m, Guthrie for 2.5m this summer. People like you think that our scouting team are going to find players like this for 2 or 3m quid or less ? Do you think people like Ferguson, Benitez and Wenger are amateurs and are going to allow someone like Denis Wise to beat them to the best players ?

The only chance we have of signing these sort of players, is if we are in the Champions league and matching these teams, or being seen to be at least trying to get up with them, as soon as possible.

Your dreaming a little to be honest - we blew that oppurtunity to keep up with the top 4 in terms of spending power the second we sacked SBR and the second Abrhamovich came to town, its jsut you who fails to recognise that, look at Villa, they are pursuiing pretty much the exact same thing we are doing, not going for the giants of the game, like Torres or Anderson like you say but the same sort of targets as us, young up coming players for the future, much like we did under SBR and much like we are doing now.  They are 3rd.

I hope signings like Bassong can continue for as long as possilbe as far as im concerned, the quality of the player IS the most important thing, nothing else and if every single window we make a profit i couldnt give a fuck, as long as the club continue to imporve the squad with gems like Bassong and Guthrie.

Villa is the ideal model at the moment, the ironic thing with them is that arguable there most important players are Carew (5m), Young (9.5m) and Agbonglahor (youth), yet again hihgligting the fact that quality is the most important thing, NOT the amount of money.

The game has changed.

no ambition ?

My quibble is with the overall attitude of the club, and the fact that they are behaving like a 2nd rate club, which became clear to me some time ago. They will make some good signing and bad signings, but aren't looking to add players to the current good ones to the extent that they have shown ambition to put the club where it should be. Simple fact is, even this "buying up the youngsters" stuff has been grossly over-exaggerated on here. People make out the club has never done it before, I pointed this out and it led to the thread being locked. If you want to compete with the trophy winning clubs you have to seriously compete with them. Stop making excuses and making naive suggestions that it can be done on the cheap, because it can't.

I'll give you some more examples. Who are the last good youngsters manu have bought ? I'll tell you who they have bought. Nani (21) for 17m, Anderson (19) for 18m. We won't even mention Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. Even Arsenal have bought Walcott (17) for 12m, Nasri for 15m. Liverpool have bought Torres for 23m. I won't mention Robbie Keane because of his age, but he has cost them close to 20m quid. We have, in the young player stakes, apart from Bassong, bought Xisco for 5m, Guthrie for 2.5m this summer. People like you think that our scouting team are going to find players like this for 2 or 3m quid or less ? Do you think people like Ferguson, Benitez and Wenger are amateurs and are going to allow someone like Denis Wise to beat them to the best players ?

Your dreaming a little to be honest - we blew that oppurtunity to keep up with the top 4 in terms of spending power the second we sacked SBR and the second Abrhamovich came to town, its jsut you who fails to recognise that, look at Villa, they are pursuiing pretty much the exact same thing we are doing, not going for the giants of the game, like Torres or Anderson like you say but the same sort of targets as us, young up coming players for the future, much like we did under SBR and much like we are doing now.  They are 3rd.

I hope signings like Bassong can continue for as long as possilbe as far as im concerned, the quality of the player IS the most important thing, nothing else and if every single window we make a profit i couldnt give a fuck, as long as the club continue to imporve the squad with gems like Bassong and Guthrie.

Villa is the ideal model at the moment , the ironic thing with them is that arguable there most important players are Carew (5m), Young (9.5m) and Agbonglahor (youth), yet again hihgligting the fact that quality is the most important thing, NOT the amount of money.

The game has changed.

I'll leave you to go and add up the amount that O'Neill has been backed by his owner.

Flies in the fact completely, of everything you've said before.

Thats the end of this. I don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread by people who don't like the truth, although anybody who wishes to debate what is a good subject [iMO] I'll reply in the same vein.

Last season Everton finished 5th and Villa 6th and both clubs spent around the same as we did, Villa didn't spend loads of money to fly up the league, they've done it by building the club up over the past few years with O'Neill finishing in the bottom half in his first season there, fair play to their owner they stuck with him and now are getting the benefits from it.

I find it staggering that people are more interested in net spend rather than the quality of player brought in, I wouldn't swap any of Jonas, Coloccini or Bassong for any of the outfield players Villa signed in the Summer.

no ambition ?

:lol: How do you get your argumetns so water-tight?

Your dreaming a little to be honest - we blew that oppurtunity to keep up with the top 4 in terms of spending power the second we sacked SBR and the second Abrhamovich came to town, its jsut you who fails to recognise that, look at Villa, they are pursuiing pretty much the exact same thing we are doing, not going for the giants of the game, like Torres or Anderson like you say but the same sort of targets as us, young up coming players for the future, much like we did under SBR and much like we are doing now. They are 3rd.

Villa is the ideal model at the moment , the ironic thing with them is that arguable there most important players are Carew (5m), Young (9.5m) and Agbonglahor (youth), yet again hihgligting the fact that quality is the most important thing, NOT the amount of money.

The game has changed.

I'll leave you to go and add up the amount that O'Neill has been backed by his owner.

Thats the end of this. I don't want to be accused of hijacking this thread by people who don't like the truth, although anybody who wishes to debate what is a good subject [iMO] I'll reply in the same vein.

You're not wrong there mate but how is the way they've spent there money simliar to that of Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool? (that is your argumetn, just incase you forgot)

Care to remind me what players Man U and Villa have been competing to sign? "Fact is the only way to compete with the top clubs is to sign the players the the top clubs thmeselves want to sign" That ring a bell?

There miles apart and dont ad anything to your argument whatsoever.

Villa are 3rd, there most expensive player is £12m Milner and that was after 3 years working there way up. Ours is £10m in our second season working our way up.

Bassong, Guthrie, Jonas and Collo are proof so far that this system is working, what if we sing another 4 players next summer of this claibre what do you think that will leave our squad capable of achieivng.

Stop being such a stalwart, get behind the team and start being more positive, the tell tale signs of success are there, its just a minority of people who dont want to reconginse that and for the life of me i cant understand why.

no ambition ?

The game has changed.

You're not wrong there mate but how is the way they've spent there money simliar to that of Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool? (that is your argumetn, just incase you forgot)

Care to remind me what players Man U and Villa have been competing to sign? "Fact is the only way to compete with the top clubs is to sign the players the the top clubs thmeselves want to sign" That ring a bell?

There miles apart and dont ad anything to your argument whatsoever.

Villa are 3rd, there most expensive player is £12m Milner and that was after 3 years working there way up. Ours is £10m in our second season working our way up.

Bassong, Guthrie, Jonas and Collo are proof so far that this system is working, what if we sing another 4 players next summer of this claibre what do you think that will leave our squad capable of achieivng.

Stop being such a stalwart, get behind the team and start being more positive, the tell tale signs of success are there, its just a minority of people who dont want to reconginse that and for the life of me i cant understand why.

my point, is that the best youngsters also cost big bucks most of the time. You will not put together a good team of Bassong type signings, the buying policy of the other clubs prove - as well as history - proves that it is impossible. The best youngsters won't sign for a mid table to bottom half club that sells its best players and undermines its managers.

As for "getting behind the team", I've done that for worse periods than this - so far - and I've got 1334 reasons for still doing it. Shame that Ashley didn't see fit to show all those reasons to his manager who DID want the best for the club.