Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

lets hope he doesn't go the way of this particular team-mate

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_4686781,00.html

N'Zogbia's future at St James' Park has been the subject of conjecture amid reports that he has grown frustrated with his inconsistent chances in the first team.

The likes of Arsenal and Paris St Germain have been mooted as interested parties in the winger, while skysports.com understands Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is an admirer of his talent.

N'Zogbia is keen for a new challenge away from Tyneside and is hopeful of sealing an exit in the near future.

He told L'Equipe: " After four years at Newcastle, I want to reach a higher level of ambition. I don't think that is possible here.

no ambition ?

Villa bigger and more ambitious than Newcastle ? Well, they acted it in the past, but not since 1992 they haven't been, until now that is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N'Zogbia make noises about leaving when the previous regime was incumbent?

correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't go, did he ?

:lol:  How do you get your argumetns so water-tight?

Whats your feelings on Bassong? Good signing by the scouting team?

thought after the Coventry game he looked good as a left back and he had something. He's superb as a centre back.

As for the scouting team, most people get some signings right, credit where it is due. Shame they also found xisco and that other bloke, whatisname, Fernandez ? .

All our managers have made some good signings though, the real shame is that the good signings made have been offset by selling a player the manager wanted to keep and not giving him the money to buy his own player(s) with it rather than looking like its offset the fee for Colocinni. Dalglish signed Given, Solano, Speed, Hamman. Gullit bought Dyer and Ferguson. Roeder bought Martins and Duff. Allardyce bought Beye, Enrique. Even the fuckwit Souness bought Owen [lets not speculate Shearer played a big part and keep it consistent as Souness was the manager] but lost that by kicking out Bellamy and Robert

I've explained this before. Good clubs bring in players to strengthen the team as the manager sees fit, not sell one to buy one and make money or save money from it all.

My quibble is with the overall attitude of the club, and the fact that they are behaving like a 2nd rate club, which became clear to me some time ago. They will make some good signing and bad signings, but aren't looking to add players to the current good ones to the extent that they have shown ambition to put the club where it should be. Simple fact is, even this "buying up the youngsters" stuff has been grossly over-exaggerated on here. People make out the club has never done it before, I pointed out this was wrong, and listed a load of players to prove it, and it led to the thread being locked. If you want to compete with the trophy winning clubs you have to seriously compete with them. Stop making excuses and making naive suggestions that it can be done on the cheap, because it can't.

I'll give you some more examples. Who are the last good youngsters manu have bought ? I'll tell you who they have bought. Nani (21) for 17m, Anderson (19) for 18m. We won't even mention Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. Even Arsenal have bought Walcott (17) for 12m, Nasri for 15m. Liverpool have bought Torres for 23m. I won't mention Robbie Keane because of his age, but he has cost them close to 20m quid. We have, in the young player stakes, apart from Bassong, bought Xisco for 5m, Guthrie for 2.5m this summer. People like you think that our scouting team are going to find players like this for 2 or 3m quid or less ? Do you think people like Ferguson, Benitez and Wenger are amateurs and are going to allow someone like Denis Wise to beat them to the best players, and do you think the clubs are going to accept bids of a few million quid from us when others are prepared to pay 4 or 5 times that amount to back their managers, or do you think our scouting team is so superior to that of other top clubs that they will find these players before other clubs do and their value goes up ? if you do, then you are suggesting the scouting teams of the other top clubs are incompetent at best for not spotting these players earlier and thus putting their clubs in the position whereby they need to pay these unnecessary fees ?

The only chance we have of signing these sort of players, is if we are in the Champions league and matching these teams, or being seen to be at least trying to get up with them, as soon as possible.

Thats reality. Not dreaming.

He played at CB (not LB)  in the coventry game, I know that for a fact because I opened a thread "First impressions of Bassong" straight after the game. He looked to have a good understanding with Coloccini, and in fact the back four that game was the same as the current starting line up.

Spending money is a part of longer term success, but conversely success is what you need to bring about the signings.  We need a mixture of Bassong type signings - talent, but with something to prove - as well as proven talent signings.  And all clubs can sacrifice players along the way to make money that can go towards the longer term.  Even Keegan did that.  What doesn't seem to work is going out and just buying up players left, right and centre. 

Frustratingly it's always going to be a slow process to move back up the table, and when we've tried to take the reactionary short-cuts, it's usually gone wrong somehow.

you don't need a mixture of anything, you need to be able to identify quality, and pay for it if you have to.

Why do you keep rejecting the path the old board took, which gave you regular european footballl, capacity crowds, top class international footballers and the league positions that came with it ?

Building slowly is a path for 2nd rate clubs by the way, clubs like Newcastle, with the 3rd biggest support in the country [courtesy of the club being built up  by the Halls and Shepherd I have to say because its true and to back it up we were in a position similar to Sheffied Wednesday and Leeds before they took over the club) shouldn't be even considing such standards. Basically, we should be in for every quality player that comes available, and that includes Wayne Rooney 3 years ago. Unless you are happy with speculating on a 17 year old possibillity instead, and can beat off the hot competition from the likes of Manu, Arsenal and Chelsea, assuming of course your scouts can identify the new Ronaldo before the scouts of Man U  :lol:

lets hope he doesn't go the way of this particular team-mate

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_4686781,00.html

N'Zogbia's future at St James' Park has been the subject of conjecture amid reports that he has grown frustrated with his inconsistent chances in the first team.

The likes of Arsenal and Paris St Germain have been mooted as interested parties in the winger, while skysports.com understands Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is an admirer of his talent.

N'Zogbia is keen for a new challenge away from Tyneside and is hopeful of sealing an exit in the near future.

He told L'Equipe: " After four years at Newcastle, I want to reach a higher level of ambition. I don't think that is possible here.

no ambition ?

Villa bigger and more ambitious than Newcastle ? Well, they acted it in the past, but not since 1992 they haven't been, until now that is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N'Zogbia make noises about leaving when the previous regime was incumbent?

correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't go, did he ?

:lol:  How do you get your argumetns so water-tight?

Whats your feelings on Bassong? Good signing by the scouting team?

thought after the Coventry game he looked good as a left back and he had something. He's superb as a centre back.

As for the scouting team, most people get some signings right, credit where it is due. Shame they also found xisco and that other bloke, whatisname, Fernandez ? .

All our managers have made some good signings though, the real shame is that the good signings made have been offset by selling a player the manager wanted to keep and not giving him the money to buy his own player(s) with it rather than looking like its offset the fee for Colocinni. Dalglish signed Given, Solano, Speed, Hamman. Gullit bought Dyer and Ferguson. Roeder bought Martins and Duff. Allardyce bought Beye, Enrique. Even the fuckwit Souness bought Owen [lets not speculate Shearer played a big part and keep it consistent as Souness was the manager] but lost that by kicking out Bellamy and Robert

I've explained this before. Good clubs bring in players to strengthen the team as the manager sees fit, not sell one to buy one and make money or save money from it all.

My quibble is with the overall attitude of the club, and the fact that they are behaving like a 2nd rate club, which became clear to me some time ago. They will make some good signing and bad signings, but aren't looking to add players to the current good ones to the extent that they have shown ambition to put the club where it should be. Simple fact is, even this "buying up the youngsters" stuff has been grossly over-exaggerated on here. People make out the club has never done it before, I pointed out this was wrong, and listed a load of players to prove it, and it led to the thread being locked. If you want to compete with the trophy winning clubs you have to seriously compete with them. Stop making excuses and making naive suggestions that it can be done on the cheap, because it can't.

I'll give you some more examples. Who are the last good youngsters manu have bought ? I'll tell you who they have bought. Nani (21) for 17m, Anderson (19) for 18m. We won't even mention Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo. Even Arsenal have bought Walcott (17) for 12m, Nasri for 15m. Liverpool have bought Torres for 23m. I won't mention Robbie Keane because of his age, but he has cost them close to 20m quid. We have, in the young player stakes, apart from Bassong, bought Xisco for 5m, Guthrie for 2.5m this summer. People like you think that our scouting team are going to find players like this for 2 or 3m quid or less ? Do you think people like Ferguson, Benitez and Wenger are amateurs and are going to allow someone like Denis Wise to beat them to the best players, and do you think the clubs are going to accept bids of a few million quid from us when others are prepared to pay 4 or 5 times that amount to back their managers, or do you think our scouting team is so superior to that of other top clubs that they will find these players before other clubs do and their value goes up ? if you do, then you are suggesting the scouting teams of the other top clubs are incompetent at best for not spotting these players earlier and thus putting their clubs in the position whereby they need to pay these unnecessary fees ?

The only chance we have of signing these sort of players, is if we are in the Champions league and matching these teams, or being seen to be at least trying to get up with them, as soon as possible.

Thats reality. Not dreaming.

He played at CB (not LB)  in the coventry game, I know that for a fact because I opened a thread "First impressions of Bassong" straight after the game. He looked to have a good understanding with Coloccini, and in fact the back four that game was the same as the current starting line up.

yep, you're right. I remember being hugely impressed with him and posted it somewhere, maybe in your thread, and also remember Enrique having a good game too.

Typical NE5. Can't be bothered to talk about or celebrate the win on Sunday at all.

No no no, why enjoy actual football when you can waste everybody's time by hijacking threads and regurgitating the same shit.

how many wins have you celebrated over the last 45 years oldtype ?

The hijackers are those who reject facts, as stated, not necessarily the people that you just "disagree" with.

Typical NE5. Can't be bothered to talk about or celebrate the win on Sunday at all.

No no no, why enjoy actual football when you can waste everybody's time by hijacking threads and regurgitating the same shit.

Class. :lol:

No no no, why enjoy actual football when you can waste everybody's time by hijacking threads and regurgitating the same s***.

Nice comback old man  mackems.gif

No no no, why enjoy actual football when you can waste everybody's time by hijacking threads and regurgitating the same s***.

easy, and most of them were in the 2nd division pre-1992. Lets not go there eh ?

Guest elbee909

Spending money is a part of longer term success, but conversely success is what you need to bring about the signings.  We need a mixture of Bassong type signings - talent, but with something to prove - as well as proven talent signings.  And all clubs can sacrifice players along the way to make money that can go towards the longer term.  Even Keegan did that.  What doesn't seem to work is going out and just buying up players left, right and centre. 

Frustratingly it's always going to be a slow process to move back up the table, and when we've tried to take the reactionary short-cuts, it's usually gone wrong somehow.

you don't need a mixture of anything, you need to be able to identify quality, and pay for it if you have to.

Why do you keep rejecting the path the old board took, which gave you regular european footballl, capacity crowds, top class international footballers and the league positions that came with it ?

Probably something to do with the postscript to one of the biggest spending stints in recent years culminating in a decline in almost every area.  Take off the rose tinted glasses.  I never said anything about not wanting us to spend but you can't blow your load in such a short time and expect anything sustainable.  Man Utd can spend big now because they have to, to improve on what they have.  We can spend less and still improve without doing a Man City.

I don't want to talk about the old fucking board anyway and I think everyone wishes you would stop repeating your one and only routine.  I've actually been deleting my posts replying to you in an attempt to not have this thread go down the shitter.  It's meant to be something of a feelgood thread - something you'd know nothing about it seems, being a complete Steptoe-style killjoy.

easy, and most of them were in the 2nd division pre-1992. Lets not go there eh ?

:lol:

Am I let off due to the fact I was only seven then? ;)

Your loyalty and support for the club is not in doubt.

Whether you come to this board for any reason other than to repeat the same arguments about the old board over and over and over and over and over and over and over again most certainly is.

Your loyalty and support for the club is not in doubt.

Whether you come to this board for any reason other than to repeat the same arguments about the old board over and over and over and over and over and over and over again most certainly is.

"argument" ? It isn't an "argument". Why does it need repeating ?

As I said earlier, give credit where its due and I made positive comments about Kinnear in the relevant thread - before the last 2 games too - is that an "argument" or "negative" comments, or are you just noticing the posts where I "disagree" [even though its factual and truthful].

This is derailing the thread isn't it ? And its not my intention .........

Bassong is perhaps the most influential signing of the "new" ownership. I have been really impressed with most of our signings to be honest. A couple of blips, Smith mainly, but every club has those.

I disagree. I think the purchase of Coloccini has been the most influential. Bringing in an Argentina international central defender for big bucks showed that we were willing to spend the money if the player was right for us. We needed an experienced head back there, and to have him in the shape of the relatively young quality player that he is has had more influence on the team imo. Coloccini's been very good since joining, and its between him and Bassong for player of the season so far. Hasn't missed a game, and knows what he's doing. Could still do better though mind.

Bassong is perhaps the most influential signing of the "new" ownership. I have been really impressed with most of our signings to be honest. A couple of blips, Smith mainly, but every club has those.

I disagree. I think the purchase of Coloccini has been the most influential. Bringing in an Argentina international central defender for big bucks showed that we were willing to spend the money if the player was right for us. We needed an experienced head back there, and to have him in the shape of the relatively young quality player that he is has had more influence on the team imo. Coloccini's been very good since joining, and its between him and Bassong for player of the season so far. Hasn't missed a game, and knows what he's doing. Could still do better though mind.

But bassong is so fucking sexy.

I agree with pretty much all of that, other than that if your going to mention contenders for player of the season, you can't not mention Shay Given as he's been outstanding this season.

Coloccini's been very good since joining

No he wasn't he was pretty poor when he first joined.

That's you being pedantic. I don't consider a few shaky moments in his first few games getting adjusted to this league "poor". As far as I can remember he failed to man-mark for Everton's 2nd goal, but that's about it. Everything else should be considered part of his learning to adapt.

not seen as much as many but he makes mistakes (colocini), the important thing is he seems to be making most of them in non-critical areas

that's a good defender, the likes of ferdinand make mistakes all the time they're just generally not "bramble-esque" howlers in his own box

Goals were flowing past man, it is only recently him & the rest of the back four have picked up.

It's also only recently that the defence has been played together consistently. At the beginning of the season Beye was injured, Bassong was backup, Enrique was injured/in and out, and only Colo has been there all the way through.

Overall Colo has done his own job well since joining.