Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

I'm pretty sure Bassong was spotted by Wise, he was brought over for a trial and then Keegan declared he was happy to sign him as he had impressed

<b>Didn't hear KK moaning about that one, then!</b>

:lol:

I've been really impressed by him he looks to be a terrific talent I wasn't surprised to read he is a graduate of the Clairefontaine youth academy.

Best piece of business in terms of value for money in quite a while.

Coloccini however has been a parallel opposite.

I have been so impressed by him he looks to be a terrific talent I wasn't surprised to read he is a graduate of the Clairefontaine youth academy.

Jonas for free is probaly better.

Bassong has been fantastic. He was a quite well-known talent for a few years before we signed him, so I was surprised that we got him for so cheap. Probaly a result of Metz going down, as this could not have done wonders for their finances.

Don't think Coloccini has been all that bad in my opinion. Not what I'd had hoped for. (Hopefully he'll become more comfortable soon), but certainly no where near one of our worst signings.

I have been so impressed by him he looks to be a terrific talent I wasn't surprised to read he is a graduate of the Clairefontaine youth academy.

<b>Jonas for free is probaly better.</b>

Bassong has been fantastic. He was a quite well-known talent for a few years before we signed him, so I was surprised that we got him for so cheap. Probaly a result of Metz going down, as this could not have done wonders for their finances.

Don't think Coloccini has been all that bad in my opinion. Not what I'd had hoped for. (Hopefully he'll become more comfortable soon), but certainly no where near one of our worst signings.

His fee is yet to be established correct ?

I've said it many times for me Gutierrez isn't half as good as people say he is the main reasoning being he hasn't provided or scored nearly enough goals for a player who plays as a Winger(a main provider of goals).

His fee is yet to be established correct?

I've said it many times for me Gutierrez isn't half as good as people say he is the main reasoning being he hasn't provided or scored nearly enough goals for a player who plays as a Winger.

We got Jonas for free under the Webster ruling, but Mallorca are basically suing for the 8 million pounds other clubs were willing to pay. We followed the rules though, so I can't see them winning anything.

Jonas hasn't provided enough in terms of production, but I'm in the camp of people who thinks that isn't his fault. He's been fine when playing with the "good" strikers and when he had some freedom. Lately he's been recognised as our only threat and pretty much double teamed the enitre match.

His fee is yet to be established correct?

I've said it many times for me Gutierrez isn't half as good as people say he is the main reasoning being he hasn't provided or scored nearly enough goals for a player who plays as a Winger.

We got Jonas for free under the Webster ruling, but Mallorca are basically suing for the 8 million pounds other clubs were willing to pay. We followed the rules though, so I can't see them winning anything.

<b>Jonas hasn't provided enough in terms of production, but I'm in the camp of people who thinks that isn't his fault.</b> He's been fine when playing with the "good" strikers and when he had some freedom. Lately he's been recognised as our only threat and pretty much double teamed the enitre match.

I'm sorry but he is playing as a Winger and when wide he has no delivery whatsoever nor any idea when to deliver if you look at his mere three assists they were all from passes don't get me wrong though I think he is a decent player with some terrific attributes those being his stamina, turn of pace also for a tall player he has great feet but his short passing is far far better then his long passes and for these reasons I'd like to see him given a role as a forward runner either side of a 4-3-3 this something maybe to consider when Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka are all fit.

Guest toonlass

How many assists does Jonas have btw?

If Bassong were to score then he would be far and away the best signing of the season imo.

Although to be honest I think he is the best signing anyway

If Bassong were to score then he would be far and away the best signing of the season imo.

Best central defender we've had since Woodgate...although competition isn't too strong...think he will develop into a world class defender,whether it's in a Toon shirt is another matter.

I think Jonas has 3. I also don't think one goal from a centre back would be the reason behind him being the best signing of the season.

Guest toonlass

I think Jonas has 3. I also don't think one goal from a centre back would be the reason behind him being the best signing of the season.

Would cap off his season I think.

Doesnt get near enough praise from the likes of Sky etc. If he was playing in a 'top 4' side then he'd be the new Desailly etc.  :rolleyes:

But yes, he was immense today. Jo hardly get a look in, while Anichebe and then Saha werent given a sniff. Quality player young Seb.  :aww:

What I like about him is that he's a very simple footballer, in that he doesnt try anything flash or fancy, he just defends and lets the more attacking minded players do the stuff. Doesnt take any unneeded chances as well (Mr. Bramble!!). 

Guest Howaythetoon

He was up against a blue shirted equivalent of Ameobi in terms of performance from the Everton forward and while he put in a solid shift yes, he was hardly outstanding or MOTM material which for me was a toss up between Enrique, Steven Taylor and Nicky Butt (all for different reasons, Enrique for his skill, his complete domination of Anichebe, Butt for his captain's performance and leadership and Taylor for his all-round battling, running and drive).

What impresses me about Bassong more than anything is his awareness, for example Colo will usually plant a head on the ball even when there is time to bring it down and space to play it, Bassong will do that if there is time and space or if not he'll plant a head or put his boot through it. He assesses things. He also has a good sense of anticipation, many a time he judged correctly what the Everton forward (and others from previous matches) would do. He's becoming a very good player. Mind, he's getting good practice given our absolute abortion of a midfield.

Bassong made Jo look very shit iyam. Largely for the reason you outlined in the second half of your post. He's got one of the best 'radars' i've seen from a CB we've had. The anticipation of strikers' runs and through balls is top notch, and the amount of stuff he cleared by simply intercepting stuff and passing it out was exceptional, for someone of his (in)experience.

Arguably MOTM today, but tbf i think Butt just about grabs that accolade.