He's back?

oldtype

I will happily say right here and now that Mike Ashley is by far and away worse than Freddy Shepherd who I will say right here and now I couldn't stand and was glad to see go. Ashley makes FS look like SJH during the KK years and if I had a choice between the two FS would win hands down. Indeed Ashley's mismanagement of the club and all the issues effecting us right now has made me re-evaluate FS's time here and FS as a figure in the club's history. The grass isn't always greener, be careful what you wish for etc. couldn't be more true! I stand by my thoughts on FS which have been well documented over the years on this forum but in retrospect, he wasn't quite the devil I made him out to be.

Freddy Shepherd was here for a decade. Mike Ashley has been here for around a year and a half. During his tenure Shepherd did a lot of things right and should be commended for that. He also did a lot wrong and had at least one second chance, no matter what you think of him. Ashley has been here for a far shorter term and done some things well and some things very poorly.

I think it is unfair of you a) not give Ashley a second chance should he not be off as soon as we'd hope (the club is more important than the status of one man) despite giving Shepherd a second chance when he messed up severely, b) not appreciate that not everything is his fault, although as owner he must take eventual responsibility for the failings of those beneath him and well as his own mistakes, and c) not take into account how much longer Shepherd was here for when comparing the two.

It's no surprise that Shepherd has done better than Ashley because he was here for far longer. There's nothing to say that we couldn't get over this debacle and then somehow end up being fairly successful for the following years. I don't understand for a second why you're re-evaluating your position on Shepherd - think what you want of Ashley, but I fail to see how he's so bad that he paints Shepherd in a better light.

I get the impression your vitriol and hatred of Ashley stems from the way your hero Keegan left the club again; did you feel the same way towards those responsible in 1997 for turning us into a PLC?

I've told you time and time again, I can't be arsed going over the same shite about the old board and the digs at other forum posters

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58111.msg1587486.html#msg1587486

my opinion on the rest of your post that I clipped is that its too little too late, he's been a disaster and lots of you younger guys are now seeing what the club was run like for decades before, eeeer,, 1992. Not quite so bad, but getting there.

I also agree that the clubs ambition is now limited to staying in the top league. Now, THAT is "going backwards", because its a major shift in policy. But I pointed this out ages ago too.

NE5 we know this, no-ones arguing with you are they? 

can't you just stop now, please, for the sake of the little baby jesus, buddah, krishna, allah & greggs pasties please please please, just stop

I've told you time and time again, I can't be arsed going over the same shite about the old board and the digs at other forum posters

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58111.msg1587486.html#msg1587486

my opinion on the rest of your post that I clipped is that its too little too late, he's been a disaster and lots of you younger guys are now seeing what the club was run like for decades before, eeeer,, 1992. Not quite so bad, but getting there.

I also agree that the clubs ambition is now limited to staying in the top league. Now, THAT is "going backwards", because its a major shift in policy. But I pointed this out ages ago too.

Before this exercise in revisionist history runs it's course, it's worth pointing out that we have been struggling in the bottom half of the table for the last FIVE years. Ashley has been here for only ONE of those, which means that Freddy Shepherd was in charge for FOUR years of similar struggle. That was despite spending heavily on players, some of who turned out to be massive wastes of money. It could be argued it was the Roy Keane route to disaster.

Something to think about.

i like the vagueness of NE5 sometimes, never any commitment to detail, for example:

all it would have taken to get us back to the CL under the old board & FS was the appointment of a good manager and that manager being backed (paraphrashing)

the same must apply to ashley, it has to or its bollocks

but the level of backing is never mentioned; i'm firmly of the opinion that it would take an investment of 50-100m before the start of next season to get us competing for a uefa spot, never mind CL, and i don't mind saying it 'cause i know its true

ashley could come back, as could FS, but neither of them are in a position to be spending that kind of money

the end

Before this exercise in revisionist history runs it's course, it's worth pointing out that we have been struggling in the bottom half of the table for the last FIVE years. Ashley has been here for only ONE of those, which means that Freddy Shepherd was in charge for FOUR years of similar struggle. That was despite spending heavily on players, some of who turned out to be massive wastes of money. It could be argued it was the Roy Keane route to disaster.

I think your maths is very poor.

Enlightening response :thup:

It should be. 5th and 7th is struggling in the bottom half of the table is it? That's revisionist.

It should be. 5th and 7th is struggling in the bottom half of the table is it? That's revisionist.

Roeder's seventh place involved long periods in the bottom half and relegation was talked about even back then

Roeder's seventh place involved long periods in the bottom half and relegation was talked about even back then

Exactly. I'm sure UV knows this, just as he must know that even SBR's final season when we finished 5th, we struggled badly for the first half of it. Unless UV's trying to make the point that Freddie Fantastic sacked SBR without any good reason whatsoever.

Exactly. I'm sure UV knows this, just as he must know that even SBR's final season when we finished 5th, we struggled badly for the first half of it. Unless UV's trying to make the point that Freddie Fantastic sacked SBR without any good reason whatsoever.

So you're not going to even admit that you didn't mean to include Robson's final season, and got your maths all wrong.

Okay, have it your way. This season and last are just the same as when we finished 5th under Robson.  :laugh2:

Guest Howaythetoon

I will happily say right here and now that Mike Ashley is by far and away worse than Freddy Shepherd who I will say right here and now I couldn't stand and was glad to see go. Ashley makes FS look like SJH during the KK years and if I had a choice between the two FS would win hands down. Indeed Ashley's mismanagement of the club and all the issues effecting us right now has made me re-evaluate FS's time here and FS as a figure in the club's history. The grass isn't always greener, be careful what you wish for etc. couldn't be more true! I stand by my thoughts on FS which have been well documented over the years on this forum but in retrospect, he wasn't quite the devil I made him out to be.

Freddy Shepherd was here for a decade. Mike Ashley has been here for around a year and a half. During his tenure Shepherd did a lot of things right and should be commended for that. He also did a lot wrong and had at least one second chance, no matter what you think of him. Ashley has been here for a far shorter term and done some things well and some things very poorly.

I think it is unfair of you a) not give Ashley a second chance should he not be off as soon as we'd hope (the club is more important than the status of one man) despite giving Shepherd a second chance when he messed up severely, b) not appreciate that not everything is his fault, although as owner he must take eventual responsibility for the failings of those beneath him and well as his own mistakes, and c) not take into account how much longer Shepherd was here for when comparing the two.

It's no surprise that Shepherd has done better than Ashley because he was here for far longer. There's nothing to say that we couldn't get over this debacle and then somehow end up being fairly successful for the following years. I don't understand for a second why you're re-evaluating your position on Shepherd - think what you want of Ashley, but I fail to see how he's so bad that he paints Shepherd in a better light.

I get the impression your vitriol and hatred of Ashley stems from the way your hero Keegan left the club again; did you feel the same way towards those responsible in 1997 for turning us into a PLC?

Ashley doesn't give a f*** about Newcastle United, at least FS did. I can't accept anyone who has no real feelings for the club and those that follow it. FS cared in his own admittedly at times skewered way. Ashley only cares about himself and his own agendas. FS did too but he cared about the team too. Ashley is a fake, someone who shouldn't be involved with a game he cares little for or has any real belonging to nor understanding of.

So you're not going to even admit that you didn't mean to include Robson's final season, and got your maths all wrong.

Okay, have it your way. This season and last are just the same as when we finished 5th under Robson.  :laugh2:

Priceless. UV accuses me of getting my maths wrong, realises he's actually got his wrong after being pointed in the right direction, and then claims I didn't mean to get my maths right - so there! :lol:

Regarding Ashley there isn't a thing that he could do to convince me he was genuine, sincere and whole hearted with his intentions for NUFC. He is a complete fake and a snide b****** to go with it. If he were in the mafia he'd be a rat. We'd be mugs to welcome him back. By all means come back Ashley but stay the f*** in the background and do what you have to do to get things in order.

If a chairman who slagged off Shearer as being boring, and Newcastle women can put things right (which I think Shepherd did to be fair), then why can't Ashley be given a second chance?

I couldn't give a damn about that particular argument, I have no real feelings on the issue other than he will not get another chance with me and there is no chance in hell I would ever welcome his being at Newcastle United regardless. If others want to give him a second chance, knock yourselves out.

You're as fickle as they come. You just admitted you slightly changed your mind about Shepherd. If things start going right, you'll change your mind too

Priceless. UV accuses me of getting my maths wrong, realises he's actually got his wrong after being pointed in the right direction, and then claims I didn't mean to get my maths right - so there! :lol:

I'm gutted tbh, how could I have not realised that the season we finished 5th was one where we were "struggling in the bottom half of the table" and was similar to last season and this, even though we weren't in the bottom half at any point after mid october. Thanks for putting my revisionist history straight, I was worried about relegation, but now realise we'll be knocking on the door of the Champions League places come the end of the season.

Guest firetotheworks

Can we stop with the boring semantics? We were shit under FS since Souness, that was a noticeable and sustained amount of time. Finishing 7th was a combination of other teams falling away and our capitalisation on the feel good factor Souness leaving brought, doesnt mean we didnt struggle, and it doesn't mean we weren't shite, because we were.

2007-08 - 13th

2006-07 - 13th

2005-06 - 7th

2004-05 - 14th

2003-04 - 5th

I see 2 top 7 finishes in the last 5 years there. Don't you ?

Your interpretation of these finishes to be something other than they are, is truly of mick and mandiarse proportions.

Can we stop with the boring semantics? We were shit under FS since Souness, that was a noticeable and sustained amount of time. Finishing 7th

.......... was finishing 7th. Whats the problem ?

Guest firetotheworks

Can we stop with the boring semantics? We were s*** under FS since Souness, that was a noticeable and sustained amount of time. Finishing 7th

You.

Can we stop with the boring semantics? We were s*** under FS since Souness, that was a noticeable and sustained amount of time. Finishing 7th

You.

don't shoot the messenger just because the message doesn't suit your "opinion"

You.

don't shoot the messenger just because the message doesn't suit your "opinion"

If you followed your own advice in this respect, you never post anything on this forum at all. :lol:

You just don't care how much stupid, hypocritical shite you post, do you?