Mido chants to be investigated by the FA

Guest nufc_kev

Guest nufc_kev

I personally didn't hear too much directed towards Mido on Saturday, storm in a teacuptastic. Have to fully agree with Southgate on this one like.

The Football Association will on Monday launch an investigation into racist abuse from a section of visiting supporters towards Mido that marred the Tyne-Tees derby for the second season running.

Soho Square officials will contact Newcastle and Middlesbrough after the Egyptian striker was briefly subjected to Islamaphobic taunts – "Mido, he's got a bomb you know" – as he warmed up in a repeat of the scenes at the Riverside from August last year. "We'll have to look at it," an FA spokesman said on Sunday night.

"We'll speak to the clubs. This will most likely involve working with Newcastle to try to prevent it happening again.

"The police may also be involved in helping identify any offenders because this is potentially a criminal offence. We want to make it clear you can't get away with chants like this."

Newcastle officials echoed FA sentiments with a spokesman stating: "The club does not condone any sort of offensive chanting."

It seems Newcastle will escape official sanction with the FA inclined to encourage education in an effort to eradicate the racist chants, despite past efforts falling on deaf ears.

The game's governing body launched a similar investigation last season but no banning orders resulted due to problems identifying culprits. Both clubs were urged to take steps to avoid a repeat.

"Hopefully you can highlight people at the centre of it and stop them from coming to grounds and fine them," Boro manager Gareth Southgate said. "We have to rise above it. If people want to shout those things it's a reflection on them rather than anything else.

"There's a danger we go on a witch hunt. What do you do? Punish the club? They can't do anything about their travelling fans. It's individual decisions to sing what they want.

"I don't think that's fair. How can a club the size of Newcastle control individuals? It's a sensitive one and I understand the importance, but I don't want to put the pressure on an excellent club like Newcastle."

Mido was unavailable for comment but Southgate added: "When something like that happens I'm sure the player thinks I'll show you, like when Mark Viduka came on. It can be a double-edged sword. You want fans to get on the opposition's back but sometimes it can bring a better display out of players.

"When I was at Crystal Palace we had a multi-racial team and racist chanting was far more prevalent. It was wrong but it inspired our players. They made sure they had the final say."

Guest toonlass

Didn't hear it myself, but funny how they make a fuss about Mido looking like Richard Reid and yet say nowt about the Paedo chants

Didn't hear it myself, but funny how they make a fuss about Mido looking like Richard Reid and yet say nowt about the Paedo chants

The paedo shit is 1000000000000000000x worse and was alot louder than any mido songs.

That mido has a bomb song was hilarious imo.

That's a fine opinion you have there sire. Cretinous and downright pathetic, but still. Racists ARE people afterall

Paedophilia is alot alot alot worse than racism. double standards by the media as per usual

The thing is...and I'm not sticking up for any racist connotations meant by the songs, but the only reason he ever got that song directed at him is due to his similarity to the 'shoe bomber' not because of where he comes from.  Thats like Robbie Savage making a complaint because he was getting ripped for looking like a girl.

Thats my opinion anyhow.

Pathetic if you ask me.

That mido has a bomb song was hilarious imo.

That's a fine opinion you have there sire. Cretinous and downright pathetic, but still. Racists ARE people afterall

Paedophilia is alot alot alot worse than racism. double standards by the media as per usual

What a great defence.

He looks like Richard Reid, its nothing to do with his religion, where he comes from just that he looks like someone and someone infamous which lends for him to be ripped accordingly. If he wasn't playing for Boro, Boro fans would be singing it at him, in fact the spuds rivals did it way before us, but being london based clubs nowt was said. People need to stop getting all Louise Keeeeeeys about this.

I'm not denying there's racism in football, or even racism in our own support, but FFS, this is political correctness gone mad. People took the piss out of Griffin looking like Fred West, mainly his own team mates, but since they are both white people in question they can accept the humour and get on with it. As soon as an Arab or Asian gets a little bit of a ribbing its an outrage. I wish they'd stop taking themselves and everything so seriously.

All this excuse-making is pathetic.

The chants are intended to cause offence, then people whine when offence is taken.

Most football chants to the opposition are.  :rolleyes:

Yep.

So ban all offensive chants?

He looks like Richard Reid, its nothing to do with his religion, where he comes from just that he looks like someone and someone infamous which lends for him to be ripped accordingly. If he wasn't playing for Boro, Boro fans would be singing it at him, in fact the spuds rivals did it way before us, but being london based clubs nowt was said. People need to stop getting all Louise Keeeeeeys about this.

I'm not denying there's racism in football, or even racism in our own support, but FFS, this is political correctness gone mad. People took the piss out of Griffin looking like Fred West, mainly his own team mates, but since they are both white people in question they can accept the humour and get on with it. As soon as an Arab or Asian gets a little bit of a ribbing its an outrage. I wish they'd stop taking themselves and everything so seriously.

Is your best friend an asian?

Guest Jawesome

Haven't you heard, black / asian / hispanic / north african people aren't racist, and it's actually written in global law that they are immune to prosecution from any racism allegations.