Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

The worrying thing for me is that if Ashley stays then the needed replacement will not be top draw. Or if we do spend money on a goalscorer, that will leave no money for anything else. No progress.

You and your mates at NUSC better hurry up and help him sell the club then.

Why is he not saying that he will leaeve us. Hate those cowards...

He's hardly a coward for not wanting to decide on a very important decision that'll affect potentially the rest of his playing career.

The worrying thing for me is that if Ashley stays then the needed replacement will not be top draw. Or if we do spend money on a goalscorer, that will leave no money for anything else. No progress.

Haven't joined but a sale is the only real hope imo.

Facing a new season with Ameobi, Martins and Xisco and a championship plodder would bring relegation.

If I were Ashley, I would pay whatever it takes to sign Bellamy. I would then walk up to Owen and tear up the contract offer into tiny pieces in front of his eyes. Finally I would hand him a mop and point to the floor.

And the winner in that sweet little scenario is ?

Guest The Libertine

If I were Ashley, I would pay whatever it takes to sign Bellamy. I would then walk up to Owen and tear up the contract offer into tiny pieces in front of his eyes. Finally I would hand him a mop and point to the floor.

bobyule. agenda personified.

The cleaning lady.

Facing a new season with Ameobi, Martins and Xisco and a championship plodder would bring relegation.

I thought you told me yesterday that you were a Viduka fanboy?

Why haven't you joined up btw? You've been vocal in support of them on here in the past.

Am I the only one who really wouldn't be so gutted if he ran out his contract and left?  He's a class striker, but he's so injury prone and by the time he starts next season he'll be a few months away from 30.  Meanwhile he takes up enough wages to pay a lot of players two or three times over.  I mean I'd like him to stay on say £80,000 a week, simply because his quality is hard to replace.  But if he does leave I'd look at the positives, along with Viduka that's that's almost £10 million a year chopped off the wage bill.  Which gives us a lot of head room in wages to bring in quite a few new players.

Am I the only one who really wouldn't be so gutted if he ran out his contract and left?  He's a class striker, but he's so injury prone and by the time he starts next season he'll be a few months away from 30.  Meanwhile he takes up enough wages to pay a lot of players two or three times over.  I mean I'd like him to stay on say £80,000 a week, simply because his quality is hard to replace.  But if he does leave I'd look at the positives, along with Viduka that's that's almost £10 million a year chopped off the wage bill.  Which gives us a lot of head room in wages to bring in quite a few new players.

Depends on who we could replace him with. There are players we could bring in with the extra money freed up from Owen's contract but would be they be better at getting goals and would they come? We need to massively invest if he does go. 

Why haven't you joined up btw? You've been vocal in support of them on here in the past.

I am and I'd give him all the money they are trying to give Ameobi for however many years just to play for one more year.

I support the main aim NUSC to give a voice to fans but have felt that their statements are crass (though improving) - I think Peasepud talks a lot of sense and if the party line reflected him more I'd join.

I am and I'd give him all the money they are trying to give Ameobi for however many years just to play for one more year.

I support the main aim NUSC to give a voice to fans but have felt that their statements are crass (though improving) - I think Peasepud talks a lot of sense and if the party line reflected him more I'd join.

Fair enough, I agree with you on both things there. O0

Depends on who we could replace him with. There are players we could bring in with the extra money freed up from Owen's contract but would be they be better at getting goals and would they come? We need to massively invest if he does go. 

I doubt we'll bring someone in who's as good a striker as Owen when fit, but what makes it a bit easier is the fact that Owen plays so few games.  When he can't play we have to play the likes of Ameobi.  Its like having a striker who's great one week and shit the next, because one week he's Michael Owen and the next he's Ameobi :lol:  If we could replace Owen with a very good striker, not top class like Owen but very good in his own right, who is consistently fit then I'd be very happy with that.  We could get a settled front two for once.

As much as it may fuck us off, realistically what would you do ?

You work for a firm that is fundamentally unstable.

You've been there 3 years and have had a number of managers and 2 dodgy owners, the current one has gone awol and is trying to sell.

The firm has taken massive steps backwards in the three years you have been there.

Despite them supporting you through a long period of illness you have no emotional ties to the firm, you are only there because they pay you way over the odds.

There's a serious chance the firm could fold (in our case be relegated) in 6 months.

You have one or two moves max before you retire

The door is wide open for you to leave at your own free will and join a better, more successful firm at low risk to yourself.

Would you sign up for another 3 years of chaos and uncertainty ? I know I wouldn't. I'd be listening to offers and planning my escape.

Reading Owen's, Kinnear's, and other players' comments lately, I'm glad to see a slight change in tone to a positive one. Rather than talk about staying up this season (or namely surviving relegation), they are talking about "progressing this season", and "ending the season on a high". I hope that Kinnear realizes that we can finish in the top 6 as much as we can get relegated, and that he has set his and the squad's sights on quietly and confidently climbing up the table to shock all and sundry by finishing in the top 8 or so. It would be a perfect "up yours" to the London media.

Obviously we are not safe yet. But I'm glad that Kinnear and co. are on the positive side of things and realize that we have the squad to easily finish in the top half.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pro's

- Goal every other game (nearly)

- Retains the ball well

- Very high profile

- Will attract other players

Against

- He is 30 next year

- Lost his explosive pace

- Injury prone

- Huge wages

- Constant speculation

- Is not going to get any better

Obviously the nearly 1:2 goal ratio is a big plus but apart from that i really do not see many benefits in him staying. If we got a Bellamy, Cisse or Zaki i will be honestly non plussed about him leaving

The best thing the club could do now is respect his decision and give him the time he wants without putting any pressure on him, while getting a back up plan ready in case he does leave.

Not go down the road of questioning his loyalty or demanding he commits to the club like we've done in the past.

I think that's the most important thing. While Michael Owen has every right to look after his own interests, we should also be looking after ours and not be in a hopeless position of pining for a positive decision from Owen. If Ashley shows he's willing to invest in quality with or without Owen, it would make him worried about losing Newcastle rather than Newcastle worried about losing Owen.

Load of bollocks. He doesn't particularly like football, he only does it cos he is good at it. He'll wait until his contract is up and wait for whoever offers him the most money. That way he can make as much as possible for when he retires and takes up the one thing he loves...horse racing!!

:lol:

"I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

"I am happy here and enjoy the challenge. It is simply a matter of seriously thinking about my future as I was 29 last week and my next career decision is a crucial one.

"My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages.

"I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window and want to assure the fans that under Joe Kinnear's passionate management, I am committed with the rest of the players to ensure that the club ends the season on a high."

Dont think we should be too negative i would think that we can take some positives from MOs statement. Maybe i am being a bit trusting but stating that he is willing to accept a cut in wages could well be an attempt to silence the media rather than tart himself to Villa.

Guest sicko2ndbest

''I have no intention of leaving Newcastle United during the January transfer window''

Because your negotating position will be far stronger in the summer as the 5-6 mil we would get for you will go in your coffers instead of the clubs finances.

If you want to go just go and at least give us the opportunity to recoup some of the money we have shelled out for you!

£30million has been spent on you by NUFC, show some loyalty you greedy twat

I think he sees staying here to the end of the season, scoring goals and keeping us in the league or maybe even getting us into Europe, as better than any money in January. That is of course if he has already  made up his mind about leaving.

Who can fucking blame him?

1. He didn't want to come here in the first place. It was either here or Madrid's bench.

2. 5 points off Europe, 5 points off Relegation. If you aren't fully committed to the club, why would you commit yourself before the club is safe?

Nobody can see tonight's developments as a 'revelation' at all tbh.