Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

For Shepherd, “it is a case of what might have been” when he reflects on Owen’s Newcastle days. “If he’d stayed fit I certainly think we would have finished in the top three but football can be very cruel,” Shepherd added.

That's pure comedy gold is that.

“I thought his signing was the biggest coup for me as Newcastle chairman, but it has proved to be a very expensive deal for the club. I certainly don’t regret signing Michael, I just regret the amount of injuries he’s sustained.

“I still remember feeling physically sick when David Davies from the FA rang me up after the England-Sweden World Cup game [in 2006] to tell me the knee injury was worse than it had appeared to be on television.”

Newcastle agreed a compensation package with the FA and Fifa to cover Owen’s £100,000-a-week wages following his World Cup injury. Shepherd added: “Newcastle made sure he got the best knee surgeon in the world in Richard Steadman over in America and they [the FA] never reimbursed us for any medical bills. It cost us a fortune.”

can't wait to hear UV's take on this alhough i doubt we will ;)

“I thought his signing was the biggest coup for me as Newcastle chairman, but it has proved to be a very expensive deal for the club. I certainly don’t regret signing Michael, I just regret the amount of injuries he’s sustained.

“I still remember feeling physically sick when David Davies from the FA rang me up after the England-Sweden World Cup game [in 2006] to tell me the knee injury was worse than it had appeared to be on television.”

Newcastle agreed a compensation package with the FA and Fifa to cover Owen’s £100,000-a-week wages following his World Cup injury. Shepherd added: “Newcastle made sure he got the best knee surgeon in the world in Richard Steadman over in America and they [the FA] never reimbursed us for any medical bills. It cost us a fortune.”

can't wait to hear UV's take on this alhough i doubt we will ;)

he'll probably say something about every signing being a risk and no matter who it is if they get unlucky injuries is more bad luck than judgement.

it is the truth after aswell.

WILLIAM HILL have opened a book on where Michael Owen will be playing on the first day of next season, and make Manchester City 5/4 to be his club by then.

William Hill: Owen’s club 1st day of next season

Man City 5/4

Newcastle 4/1

Liverpool 11/2

Everton 13/2

Man Utd 10/1

Chelsea 12/1

Arsenal 12/1

Wigan 33/1

http://www.williamhillmedia.com/index_template.asp?file=11457

I will be getting some of that action.

Manchester United can do better than Owen. Unless they are tight on cash, I don't see why they would settle on 29 year old with poor injury record. Especially after the Luois Saha experiment.

Because Owen is a class player who would do well in a team that actually plays the ball on the ground. His all round game, not just goal scoring, is well suited to a team like manure and he wouldn't be expected to play every game in that squad. IMO, he'd be an excellent addition to that squad.

Nowhere near as good as they've already got. Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney are streets ahead of Owen in terms of pace, technique and vision. They bring everything that Owen has not got. He should stay as he is a prolific goalscorer, nothing more or less.

As for Man City, they are in the relegation places, if they spend on a striker, they will be looking for someone strong and athletic at exorbitant prices. Owen doesnt fit their bill in the slightest.

WILLIAM HILL have opened a book on where Michael Owen will be playing on the first day of next season, and make Manchester City 5/4 to be his club by then.

Man City 5/4

Newcastle 4/1

Liverpool 11/2

Everton 13/2

Man Utd 10/1

Chelsea 12/1

Arsenal 12/1

Wigan 33/1

Manchester United can do better than Owen. Unless they are tight on cash, I don't see why they would settle on 29 year old with poor injury record. Especially after the Luois Saha experiment.

Because Owen is a class player who would do well in a team that actually plays the ball on the ground. His all round game, not just goal scoring, is well suited to a team like manure and he wouldn't be expected to play every game in that squad. IMO, he'd be an excellent addition to that squad.

Nowhere near as good as they've already got. Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney are streets ahead of Owen in terms of pace, technique and vision. They bring everything that Owen has not got. He should stay as he is a prolific goalscorer, nothing more or less.

As for Man City, they are in the relegation places, if they spend on a striker, they will be looking for someone strong and athletic at exorbitant prices. Owen doesnt fit their bill in the slightest.

ronaldo isn't really a striker and,personally i think owen would get more goals in that team than tevez who is only on loan and not looking like he's going to stay.

Man City 5/4

Newcastle 4/1

Liverpool 11/2

Everton 13/2

Man Utd 10/1

Chelsea 12/1

Arsenal 12/1

Wigan 33/1

ronaldo isn't really a striker and,personally i think owen would get more goals in that team than tevez who is only on loan and not looking like he's going to stay.

Man U can attract better players and Man City can afford better players. 

Man City 5/4

Newcastle 4/1

Liverpool 11/2

Everton 13/2

Man Utd 10/1

Chelsea 12/1

Arsenal 12/1

Wigan 33/1

Man U can attract better players and Man City can afford better players. 

are there many better playeres than someone who scores a goal every two games,retains possession and carries no transfer fee. think man utd and laarson but owen is some years younger.

there arent many "better" players IF he can get the games in.

Guest rebel_yell12

This is the same Freddy Shepherd who was talking about the financial impact of Owen's injury the day he done his knee at WC '06.  Not a word of worry or sympathy for a 26 yr old player facing a possibly career-ending injury (at the time, it was thought both the ACL and the MCL were torn) -- a player who (it came out later) had personally made calls to apologize for getting injured to both the head of NUFC (Shepherd, I should guess), and Northern Rock, amongst others, by half-time of that match.  The same FFS who made wonderful comments about Newcastle's women, etc. -- the list goes on and on.  For him to even attempt to speak from/about a "moral" high-ground is an affront to reasonable people, imo.

That said, Owen is no doubt thinking about business and his career, not any "moral" issue.  Yes, he was injured, but it's not as if he got himself suspended or jailed or something -- injuries are a part of football and always a gamble when you sign a contract.  Does Eduardo "owe" Arsenal?  No, he doesn't.  I understand that Eduardo was at least injured in an Arsenal kit, whilst Owen was injured in an England kit, but the FA reimbursed Newcastle for I think 10 mil (double Owen's wages for the year spent out).  Owen is seeing out the entirety of his contract, and may still re-sign (if Newcastle show improvement, get the background stuff sorted, etc.) -- he's hardly told the club to f*** off with the new contract.  He's asking for more time, probably to see if there's a new owner/resolution to the background chaos.

Does anyone else think Owen's comment about wages was intended to keep the press quiet about the supposed pay-cut?  Or at least, minimise the spin.  I've gotten the impression that Owen felt he was offered a very fair contract, he just needs more time to make a decision.  And given the status of the club (non-permanent manager, an owner trying to sell, etc.) and the history whilst he's been here (5 managers, 2 owners with a third trying to be arranged, a few different board set-ups, changing coaches & staff, etc.)  I don't blame him.  I don't think too many of the fans do either -- at least judging from this board.  Being a bit disappointed is expected but very few seem to be truly blaming Owen for what seems a sensible decision. 

Any player with other options would be a bit mad to sign on to this right now (so, I expect Butt & Ameobi at least to re-sign).  Although, as someone pointed out upthread, it's a bit of a gamble for Owen too.  If he's injured come May/June (or has the measles or something else like he done last summer) he could take a serious hit in marketability.  Of course, if he's been continuously fit (touch wood) and scoring at his current pace -- his marketability on a free would be huge, I should think.  Sadly, I think he may view that as a far less risky gamble than signing on with Newcastle United for another three years and three or four more managers. 

Surely Owen wants his England place back. So he has to  to go somewhere he's going to get guaranteed first team football and can keep Capello's attention. I can't see him being a nailed on starter at any of the so called big 4 clubs tbh. He can't do 4-5-1 and that's what gets played quite often these days...

Isn't he more likely to get into the England squad being a top four squad player than he is playing regularly for us and having games where he is anonymous because the service he needs isn't there?

Of course it isn't, Capello isn't going to pick a striker that isn't even a regular for their club.  Staying fit and continuing to score goals regularly for us will get him into the England side.

For Shepherd, “it is a case of what might have been” when he reflects on Owen’s Newcastle days. “If he’d stayed fit I certainly think we would have finished in the top three but football can be very cruel,” Shepherd added.

Yeah, righto, Freddy. Course we would have.

absolutely priceless, should be a timely reminder of (a) what a mouthy fuckwitted twat FS actually was & (b) that chairmen/owners don't always know a lot about football - topical one that

3rd place :lol:

If a decent bid comes in in January for him, the club will sell him rather than losing him for free in the summer.

And then Owen would remind NUFC that he said he won't be going anywhere until the end of his contract.

All the power is with Owen. Unless it suits him he won't go anywhere.

If a decent bid comes in in January for him, the club will sell him rather than losing him for free in the summer.

Why not? It's not like we're in a relegation battle. I don't see any reason for the club to do that.

Guest thefishman

Not sure if this has been posted,

what would MO or nufc do if owen got injured and was out for the next 9 months? Bet the fucka would sign then! imo  hes already agreed to sign for whoever but doesnt want the flak off the toon fans for the next few months,so says im still debating!

For Shepherd, it is a case of what might have been when he reflects on Owens Newcastle days. If hed stayed fit I certainly think we would have finished in the top three but football can be very cruel, Shepherd added.

absolutely priceless, should be a timely reminder of (a) what a mouthy fuckwitted t*** FS actually was & (b) that chairmen/owners don't always know a lot about football - topical one that

The same owner who was caught on camera saying "I'd drive him back to Liverpool". :lol:

For Shepherd, it is a case of what might have been when he reflects on Owens Newcastle days. If hed stayed fit I certainly think we would have finished in the top three but football can be very cruel, Shepherd added.

absolutely priceless, should be a timely reminder of (a) what a mouthy fuckwitted t*** FS actually was & (b) that chairmen/owners don't always know a lot about football - topical one that

The same owner who was caught on camera saying "I'd drive him back to Liverpool". :lol:

christ aye!!  :lol:

Forgot about that, wonder if thats mentioned when certain posters blame the new board for not getting Owen to sign a new contract (as if he ever was).

Forgot about that, wonder if thats mentioned when certain posters blame the new board for not getting Owen to sign a new contract (as if he ever was).

Well they will have been in charge for half of his tenure here.