Michael Owen gets injured; rejoice!

Willow

Guest Brazilianbob

Just pay the Owen whatever he wants and let him score the goals to get us back up the table and into Europe.  We can always sell him in a couple of years after he is signed up on another 4 year contract so we then get a decent fee.  However, above all else he owes us the fans for supporting him while he was out injured!  Perhaps he needs a gentle reminder of that!

wake up and check this board and the other media outlets everyday to just see if he signed or not.

ill be the happiest man in florida if he does...the man is a class act and appears to be a true man who plays the game and doesn't let the money get to him. 

my heart says he will stay, my mind says he won't....

We need to sing his name more imo to leave him in no doubt that we want him to stay.  It was oba this and shola that from our fans today, didnt even hear the Owen song after he scored.

Howay lads, we've got to keep little mickey!!

League: 45 appearances out of possible 130 (10 sub) 24 goals

League Cup: 2 appearances out of possible 7 (1 sub) 2 goals

FA Cup: 3 appearances out of possible 8 (0 sub) 1 goal

Total: 50 out of possible 145 (11 sub) 27 goals

His game to goal ratio is pretty decent as he averages a goal every 2 games but he's played just over 1/3 of possible games. It works out as around 363k per game, rougly including 100k+ wages but thats before any appearance or goal bonuses.

IMO it would be best for both parites if he left either in january or the summer

Clown.

Why not add the cost of relegation to your shitty little stats, cause that's where we will end up if Owen goes next month.

Honeslty, he averages a goal every 1.8 matches in the league when he starts yet you still want rid.  :idiot2:

So you feel we have got value for money over the last 4 years then?

For arguements sake lets say he's on 100k per week (could be more, could be less but lets go off the 'reported figure') thats £19.2m over 4 years plus his transfer fee thats £35.2m before any appearance or goal clauses he might have.

As someone has said above he has not justified his transfer fee, his stupidly high wages or his world class status

yeah i do, cause he's gonna keep us up

to say you'd rather he left in jan is just idiotic

We need to sing his name more imo to leave him in no doubt that we want him to stay.  It was oba this and shola that from our fans today, didnt even hear the Owen song after he scored.

If we had any indication that he wanted to stay I'm sure we'd be singing his name from the rooftops. All he has to do is say "I'd like to stay" but he hasn't done that yet has he?

If we had any indication that he wanted to stay I'm sure we'd be singing his name from the rooftops. All he has to do is say "I'd like to stay" but he hasn't done that yet has he?

he'd want to stay if he thought it was his best option....AS GOES FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM

he'd want to stay if he thought it was his best option....AS GOES FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM

Fine but I haven't got an option to support anyone else so if he's not staying he can fuck off.

Just pay the Owen whatever he wants and let him score the goals to get us back up the table and into Europe.  We can always sell him in a couple of years after he is signed up on another 4 year contract so we then get a decent fee.  However, above all else he owes us the fans for supporting him while he was out injured!  Perhaps he needs a gentle reminder of that!

He'll by 31 if we decide we don't want him in two years' time and with what must have happened and his wages, there's no club that would take him without us paying a part of his wages etc.. If there's even a chance that we might not want him in two years' time, then don't sign him to a long-term deal but I'm afraid that's one thing we're going to have to do to convince him to stay because other clubs aren't as desperate as we are.

He'll by 31 if we decide we don't want him in two years' time and with what must have happened and his wages, there's no club that would take him without us paying a part of his wages etc.. If there's even a chance that we might not want him in two years' time, then don't sign him to a long-term deal but I'm afraid that's one thing we're going to have to do to convince him to stay because other clubs aren't as desperate as we are.

About the whole 31 thing, I'm not sure which attributes he has right now are going to decline with age. His work rate is pretty unimpressive already and he's lost his pace anyway. It's not as if his footballing brain is suddenly going to atrophy once he hits 30.

He's probably a good bet for 31. Maybe even a bit beyond that.

Guest rebel_yell12

About the whole 31 thing, I'm not sure which attributes he has right now are going to decline with age. His work rate is pretty unimpressive already and he's lost his pace anyway. It's not as if his footballing brain is suddenly going to atrophy once he hits 30.

He's probably a good bet for 31. Maybe even a bit beyond that.

I was under the impression that Owen's work rate was considered quite good.  At least according to OPTA, and several of the pundits, iirc.  I don't get to watch every game myself, so I can't say for certain from my own observation.  But I do recall reading that Owen's distance covered per match is quite high, especially since Keegan's arrival.

Guest justin99.

He'll go to whoever offers him the most money.

He's a great striker, but anyone who thinks he's not in it for the money is dreaming.

you've just defined 99% of footballers

He's a great striker, but anyone who thinks he's not in it for the money is dreaming.

Call me a dreamer then, but I personally I think he'll go to whoever he thinks will give him the best chance of winning something, and the money will be secondary.

That won't be us.

Call me a dreamer then, but I personally I think he'll go to whoever he thinks will give him the best chance of winning something, and the money will be secondary.

That won't be us.

Considering most believe the top four won't be that arsed though, are we not pretty much as likely to win something as anyone else in the league? The only team who genuinely look like they're going to do something are Aston Villa, and I'm not sure he fits into their team.

I think he'll go where the money is the best btw.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/owen-offered-new-deal-at-newcastle-1067760.html

Newcastle today formally tabled their offer of a new contract to striker Michael Owen.

It is understood the Magpies have presented the terms of the deal to the England international's representatives and are now awaiting their response.

Manager Joe Kinnear revealed on Friday that Owen, Nicky Butt, Steve Harper and Shola Ameobi, who are all out of contract at the end of the season, would be made offers this week.

He expects to sit down with all four tomorrow to discuss the way forward having been given the green light by owner Mike Ashley.

However, Kinnear admitted that, while he is hopeful of persuading Butt, Harper and Ameobi to stay at St James' Park, he is less optimistic of getting a positive answer from Owen.

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker illustrated his importance to the club which paid £17million for his services three and a half years ago when he celebrated his 29th birthday with his 29th goal in their colours in the 3-0 win at Portsmouth yesterday.

Owen produced a superb finish despite the best efforts of former England team-mates Sol Campbell and David James to remind both the Magpies and national boss Fabio Capello of his potency in front of goal.

The Italian does not currently see Owen as part of his plans, but where Pompey's Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch, both part of Capello's plans, fired blanks, he took his big chance with aplomb.

He later refused to be drawn on his future amid speculation that a series of suitors will attempt to lure him away from Tyneside during next month's transfer window.

However, Kinnear has insisted a man who has now scored nine goals in 15 appearances this season will not be sold during January.

The 61-year-old now faces the task of talking his captain into extending his stay rather than leaving on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Newcastle claimed to have offered Owen an "improved" three-year deal back in August, although his representatives were bemused by the suggestion.

Those claims were made amid reports that then manager Kevin Keegan had been told the striker would only be handed a one-year extension at a reduced salary of £85,000 a week, a cut of around £18,000.