Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur - 21/12/08 - Pre-match thread

Dave

JONATHAN WOODGATE spent Saturday night in hospital amid fears of a recurrence of the back injury that has blighted his career.

The Spurs defender left the field 10 minutes into the 0-0 draw with Manchester United at White Hart Lane.

Woodgate was taken to hospital where doctors tried to discover the cause of the problem before they discharged him yesterday.

Assistant Spurs boss Kevin Bond said: “He was in hospital with a back spasm but they’re not sure of the prognosis.”

Spurs will be hoping the injury is not the same back problem that hindered his progress at Real Madrid.

Woodgate, 28, is almost certain to miss Thursday’s home UEFA Cup clash against Spartak Moscow.

Jermaine Jenas is also likely to miss out, while Ledley King (knee) cannot play in every game.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp said: “I’ve got kids out of the youth team because you have to have so many homegrown players in your squad.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2037428.ece

Hugely depends on Martins' availability.  If he's not fit then very likely we can only get a draw at best.  Lennon and Bentley both are in good form and I can see Butt concede a penalty again.

Hugely depends on Martins' availability.  If he's not fit then very likely we can only get a draw at best.  Lennon and Bentley both are in good form and I can see Butt concede a penalty again.

Bentley in good form?

Since when like?

3-2 to Newcastle, with many papers making tired Christmas Cracker puns.

Bentley in good form?

Since when like?

From what I saw in the match vs Man Utd.  Not excellent but do creates some threat.

Bentley in good form?

Since when like?

From what I saw in the match vs Man Utd.  Not excellent but do creates some threat.

One game is hardly good form. He's been fairly shite since he went to Spurs. He'll no doubt improve but so far has been a real disappointment at WHL.

He (Bentley) wasn't good againt United at all btw. Spurs biggest threats are definitely Modric and Lennon of late. Their striker situation is interesting. Both Bent and Pavlyuchenko are good players who struggle to play upfront alone and haven't looked very good together. Neither of them seems to fit in when I watch Spurs play.

Oba always scores because Michael Dawson just so cannot handle him. The fact that a) Redknapp might be aware of that and b) he played well against Man U so might just keep his place fills me full of hope.

I wouldn't be that devestated with a draw if I'm honest, provided it's a good draw and not one like Stoke/Wigan/City at home.

Only way I'd be happy with a draw is if we're 3-0 down with 10 minutes to go.

3 points please off these tossers, will take a last minute tap in from Cacapa if it means the fucking Redknapp household are miserable playing Mario Kart this Christmas.

Guest kingdawson

If Dawson plays we win.

They play Spartak Moscow in the Waffa on Thursday and have not yet guaranteed qualification for the next round, so King might well play in that one. :nods:

King is 100% not gonna play that game. Redknapp couldnt give 2 fucks about that competition and has already said he's gonna play some youngsters.

If Dawson plays we win.

They play Spartak Moscow in the Waffa on Thursday and have not yet guaranteed qualification for the next round, so King might well play in that one. :nods:

King is 100% not gonna play that game. Redknapp couldnt give 2 f***s about that competition and has already said he's gonna play some youngsters.

really? doesnt make much sense

Guest kingdawson

Hutton, Jenas, and Woodgate are definatley out for the game against you lot. Dos santos is due back next week so could make the bench (altough very unlikely). Dawson was superb against man united but he always has a mare against you lot. Think he'll start though.

Probable team....

--------------------------------------------Gomes-----------------------------------------

Corluka---------------Dawson-------------------------King--------------------Ekotto

Bentley-----------------Zokora---------------------Huddlestone-------------Lennon

---------------------------------------------Modric-----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Bent--------------------------------------------

Guest kingdawson

If Dawson plays we win.

King is 100% not gonna play that game. Redknapp couldnt give 2 f***s about that competition and has already said he's gonna play some youngsters.

really? doesnt make much sense

He sees it as a distraction from what really matters (the league). He's said that players like Bostock and Parrett will be playing on thursday. Tbh i dont even think he'd really care to much if we get knocked out.

Hutton, Jenas, and Woodgate are definatley out for the game against you lot. Dos santos is due back next week so could make the bench (altough very unlikely). Dawson was superb against man united but he always has a mare against you lot. Think he'll start though.

Probable team....

--------------------------------------------Gomes-----------------------------------------

Corluka---------------Dawson-------------------------King--------------------Ekotto

Bentley-----------------Zokora---------------------Huddlestone-------------Lennon

---------------------------------------------Modric-----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------Bent--------------------------------------------

That wouldn't be "adventurous", "attacking" Harrys 4-5-1 away from home is it?

Guest kingdawson

Probable team....

We do create quite a few chances with that formation tbf (works much better then 4-4-2). Modric is the key here. If Butt stays with him the whole game, you'll probably win. In a recent away game, i remember a team marking him throught (sometimes even double marking him), and it did the job. Huddlestone and Bent have a very good understanding so you should watch out for through balls every now and again. Our weak link is usually Ekotto, but he's been very impressive recently. His positional sense is sometimes very dodgy so Jonas may get some luck down that side (ekotto can definately keep up with him pace wise though.

Any chance Taylor starting? coz i'd fancy Bent to tear him apart if on form. Colllocini is a rock but he is vulnerable to the odd mistake here and there, and a player like Bent thrives on that.

Ohhhh yeahhhhhh and then there's Aaron Lennon who's been far and away our best player this season (corluka a close second).

Probable team....

We do create quite a few chances with that formation tbf (works much better then 4-4-2). Modric is the key here. If Butt stays with him the whole game, you'll probably win. In a recent away game, i remember a team marking him throught (sometimes even double marking him), and it did the job. Huddlestone and Bent have a very good understanding so you should watch out for through balls every now and again. Our weak link is usually Ekotto, but he's been very impressive recently. His positional sense is sometimes very dodgy so Jonas may get some luck down that side (ekotto can definately keep up with him pace wise though.

Any chance Taylor starting? coz i'd fancy Bent to tear him apart if on form. Colllocini is a rock but he is vulnerable to the odd mistake here and there, and a player like Bent thrives on that.

Ohhhh yeahhhhhh and then there's Aaron Lennon who's been far and away our best player this season (corluka a close second).

You haven't been watching us much these last two seasons if you think Butt can keep up with Modric. If you look at the teams that will be put out, they are very equal  except for your midfield which is stronger, but only because of Modric. If your team is correct, then Huddlestone/Zokora are not very impressive at all.