Fat Ash - "Kinnear is better than Capello and will lead us to Europe"

David Icke - Son of God

I get the feeling one or two would be gutted if Ashley managed to get Owen to sign this new contract.

you're not going down the "hope they fail" route I hope ?

At my age now, I've seen far worse than this, and even the suggestion of it is pretty sad. Sorry but that is true and how I see it.

For the record, I'll say what I've always said. The more "trophy players" the club sign ie just like the other trophy winners do, the better.

If Owen DOES sign, is it a sign of a change or direction or Ashley trying to paper over the cracks and get deluded people on his side ?

Do you think it would be a sign of him realising he has been wrong and is prepared to attempt to match the european qualifications of his predecessors ?

What do you think ?

I think it'd be the first sign that if he can't sell the club, then he's going to give it a shot, yes. As for the European qualifications of his predecessors comment, we're not a million miles from a European place despite all the crap that's gone on.

Well mate, I want to be back in europe as soon as is possible. I've said before I would welcome a genuine change of heart by Ashley, although it would take a lot now for me to believe it or trust him.

I'd say keeping Owen and making a couple of signings in January would be a start mind. Always said that it'll be the start of February before I really judge the direction of the club.

I would agree with that, but its 12 months too late.

Trying to patch up a sinking ship is really all it is, unless its an unlikely and genuine change of direction.

As has been said. There's not that many times under Shepherd we spent more than £5m on 5 different players in a 12 month period. Add to that Jonas, Guthrie, Bassong as new first team starters and I would hardly call it patching up a sinking ship.

It could be argued that the team we can now put on the park has improved considerably since Ashley has arrived.

Well, the Halls and Shepherd punched the clubs weight, you can't deny that. Plenty of players were of the highest priced transfers at the time, including a world transfer record.

They also broke the clubs record fee for a defender at least twice by the way. And didn't sell a player behind the managers back for the same price to finance it either.

I certainly belive Joe is the best manger we have since Bobby Robson. He is by mile better than Sounss, Roeder and Big Sam.

You are aware that Keegan came back, right?

His record is better than the Record KK have in his second term thus make him a better one over him.

I certainly belive Joe is the best manger we have since Bobby Robson. He is by mile better than Sounss, Roeder and Big Sam.

His record is better than the Record KK have in his second term thus make him a better one over him.

Uh oh.

I get the feeling one or two would be gutted if Ashley managed to get Owen to sign this new contract.

At my age now, I've seen far worse than this, and even the suggestion of it is pretty sad. Sorry but that is true and how I see it.

For the record, I'll say what I've always said. The more "trophy players" the club sign ie just like the other trophy winners do, the better.

If Owen DOES sign, is it a sign of a change or direction or Ashley trying to paper over the cracks and get deluded people on his side ?

Do you think it would be a sign of him realising he has been wrong and is prepared to attempt to match the european qualifications of his predecessors ?

What do you think ?

:lol:

I think you're trying to imply that we were "trophy winners" under the old board.

That, or you're too drunk to think straight.

ah, you're back.

I meant "trophy winners" as in managers who win titles with 2 different club, things like that, and looking at a record like that hoping they can do it again.

Feeble excuse. You were talking bollocks, let's face it.

You're completely and utterly wrong. Keegan had a win percentage in his second stint of just over 28%. Kinnear currently has a win percentage of just over 27%. For christ sake Roeder had a win percentage of just over 45% and Souness a win percentage of 43%.

Your argument is really flawed if that's what you're basing it on.

What do you think ?

I think it'd be the first sign that if he can't sell the club, then he's going to give it a shot, yes. As for the European qualifications of his predecessors comment, we're not a million miles from a European place despite all the crap that's gone on.

Well mate, I want to be back in europe as soon as is possible. I've said before I would welcome a genuine change of heart by Ashley, although it would take a lot now for me to believe it or trust him.

I'd say keeping Owen and making a couple of signings in January would be a start mind. Always said that it'll be the start of February before I really judge the direction of the club.

I would agree with that, but its 12 months too late.

Trying to patch up a sinking ship is really all it is, unless its an unlikely and genuine change of direction.

As has been said. There's not that many times under Shepherd we spent more than £5m on 5 different players in a 12 month period. Add to that Jonas, Guthrie, Bassong as new first team starters and I would hardly call it patching up a sinking ship.

It could be argued that the team we can now put on the park has improved considerably since Ashley has arrived.

Well, the Halls and Shepherd punched the clubs weight, you can't deny that. Plenty of players were of the highest priced transfers at the time, including a world transfer record.

They also broke the clubs record fee for a defender at least twice by the way. And didn't sell a player behind the managers back for the same price to finance it either.

Punched above their weight financially in the end which cost them sadly, but I know what you mean.  O0

I'm as much a sucker for a big signing as the next man, though beyond that it's also the draw to other players (including even academy players) such signings mean. Fingers crossed that despite the turmoil, Owen, and just as importantly for me, the likes of Collocini, Jonas, Martins, Beye and Given stay on, so that Ashley (or whoever is finally in charge) can continue to attract such decent players in.

You're completely and utterly wrong. Keegan had a win percentage in his second stint of just over 28%. Kinnear currently has a win percentage of just over 27%. For christ sake Roeder had a win percentage of just over 45% and Souness a win percentage of 43%.

So you think Roeder is better manger we had since Bobby.

Nah, just that Souness > Keegan.

Not at all, the reason I posted them stats was to show you how your reasoning for saying that Kinnear is a better manager than Keegan is flawed. You said that Kinnear has a higher win percentage than Keegan did in his second stint so therefore he must be the better manager, I was just showing you that firstly you were wrong about the stats and that secondly the stats aren't a clear indication, because by them standards, both Souness and Roeder did good jobs - which of course they didn't.

What do you think ?

:lol:

I think you're trying to imply that we were "trophy winners" under the old board.

That, or you're too drunk to think straight.

ah, you're back.

I meant "trophy winners" as in managers who win titles with 2 different club, things like that, and looking at a record like that hoping they can do it again.

Feeble excuse. You were talking bollocks, let's face it.

don't really wish to derail the thread, but perhaps rather than saying I'm talking bollocks, you could finally respond to the comment about appointing a manager who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs - in the other one where I've asked you about 20 times if you prefer.

What do you think ?

I doubt very much that Ashley is going to spend big for a few reasons:

firstly, the club is still up for sale. Secondly he hasn't got the money to compete with the top 4, only City have tbh. The other option would be to borrow money against the club and spend big like Liverpool, Manu and Villa. I don't think he was ever going to do that in the first place and definitely not now the clubs for sale.

He's probably going to carry on trying to buy value players and build the squad gradually on players who won't go downhill quickly.

So far as I'm aware, the vast majority of players we brought to the club by the last owners fell into that category and I can quite easily list a lot of them if you wish ?

If your list is going to include players bought under Sir John Hall's time as Chairman then don't bother. If you can make a list of value players bought under Shepherd's reign as chairman then by all means go ahead as that's the period we are generally considered to have spent badly in the transfer market.

What do you think ?

firstly, the club is still up for sale. Secondly he hasn't got the money to compete with the top 4, only City have tbh. The other option would be to borrow money against the club and spend big like Liverpool, Manu and Villa. I don't think he was ever going to do that in the first place and definitely not now the clubs for sale.

He's probably going to carry on trying to buy value players and build the squad gradually on players who won't go downhill quickly.

So far as I'm aware, the vast majority of players we brought to the club by the last owners fell into that category and I can quite easily list a lot of them if you wish ?

If your list is going to include players bought under Sir John Hall's time as Chairman then don't bother. If you can make a list of value players bought under Shepherd's reign as chairman then by all means go ahead as that's the period we are generally considered to have spent badly in the transfer market.

there are plenty of players under the chairmanship of both, but as nobody at any time had a controlling interest in the club and neither at any time was ever in a position to run the club single handed without the other, there is no point seperating them. I understand that you want to find a way to slate Shepherd here, but sadly for you, it has little basis for the reasons I've just given.

You can, in the meantime, ignore the fact that Woodgate was also a record transfer at the time, and the acid test is that Ashley is unlikely to match the Champions League and european qualifications, [which is what REALLY matters], if he ever was at all.

You are obviously ignoring the fact that Milner was sold to essentially finance the transfer of Colocinni while failing to back their appointed manager while making a profit in the transfer window, something that didn't happen under the Halls and shepherd, or the Halls OR Shepherd if you are determined to try and seperate the regimes.

You can defend Ashley until you are blue in the face, but the penny pinching manner in which the club has been run since he came, will never match what the club has done in the last 15 years even if you live until you are 200.

To get back on topic, buying players who's value is hoped to rise, is nothing new, and you're spouting rubbish if you say or imply that it is.

What do you think ?

there are plenty of players under the chairmanship of both, but as nobody at any time had a controlling interest in the club and neither at any time was ever in a position to run the club single handed without the other, there is no point seperating them. I understand that you want to find a way to slate Shepherd here, but sadly for you, it has little basis for the reasons I've just given.

You can, in the meantime, ignore the fact that Woodgate was also a record transfer at the time, and the acid test is that Ashley is unlikely to match the Champions League and european qualifications, [which is what REALLY matters], if he ever was at all.

You are obviously ignoring the fact that Milner was sold to essentially finance the transfer of Colocinni while failing to back their appointed manager while making a profit in the transfer window, something that didn't happen under the Halls and shepherd, or the Halls OR Shepherd if you are determined to try and seperate the regimes.

What about the Summer we sold Woodgate? Didn't we make a profit of £10m that window while accepting the offer before informing the manager?

What do you think ?

You can defend Ashley until you are blue in the face, but the penny pinching manner in which the club has been run since he came, will never match what the club has done in the last 15 years even if you live until you are 200.

To get back on topic, buying players who's value is hoped to rise, is nothing new, and you're spouting rubbish if you say or imply that it is.

oh and here is your list, not including the time of Dalglish and Gullit either, which adds shay given, Nobby Solano, Andy Griffin, Domi, Pistone, Goma, Glass, Hamman, Speed and Ferguson to the list, without even thinking.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,57178.msg1598810.html#msg1598810

What do you think ?

oh and here is your list, not including the time of Dalglish and Gullit either, which adds shay given, Nobby Solano, Andy Griffin, Domi, Pistone, Goma, Glass, Hamman, Speed and Ferguson to the list, without even thinking.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,57178.msg1598810.html#msg1598810

We didn't sign Dyer under Bobby, I thought you would know that.

Was Hamann the player who we cashed in on after one season when the big boys came calling?

I hope you mean Tron spouting things which aren't true ?

I think he means the thread being hijacked from post 128 onwards.

a long term supporter like you should also know that what Tron implies is incorrect.

Are you saying that this thread is about praising Mike ashley for looking to buy young players who might improve for the first time in the clubs history or something  mackems.gif