Newcastle 2 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 21/12/08 - Xmas festivities start on page 16

midds

Guest Howaythetoon

First of all I'll discuss Spurs. They are an average side who would have been delighted with a point which I'd say was their whole game plan from the off, soaking up our play and then hitting it long for Lennon or Modric which actually worked when the latter scored, although there were many shouts of off-side. I'd have to look at the goal to say whether it was or not. Regarding Modric I'm glad we didn't buy him, very light weight, a tart with it and nothing special whatsoever. I didn't even know Bentley was playing until the second half, he was that anonymous. He's a fine player in his own right but at that price vastly overrated. Having said that he could be being underused by Redknapp. I've already discussed Spurs' fans in another thread - pretty much in line with their team - average.

To Newcastle and our performance...

Defensively I thought we were solid throughout in all areas of the park and we worked tremendously hard at all times. This was a very disciplined performance in terms of the team, holding our shape well up until the end. It is true we stuck 10 men behind the ball whenever they had it which helped us be so strong defensively but it also allowed Spurs to dictate too much of the game for my liking and meant at times we were too deep with no real outlet.

My man of the match was N'Zogbia, one of the best games I've seen him play. He was everywhere and a constant threat. Bassong quickly followed along with Butt who rarely gave the ball away, tackled and pressed like a man possessed and drove the team on, at one point urging all around to up their game and indeed the fans to turn up the volume which we dully did. Speaking of the fans I though the support was decent throughout, no real moans and groans and at the end thousands stayed behind a good 5 minutes to clap the lads off to a man while chanting "Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle" - which hasn't happened in a long time fans staying behind to cheer the lads of in such a way. Superb stuff.

Back to the game, we didn't really play well in terms of an attacking game nor our own football, too much indecisiveness, sloppy passing and aimless long balls or high balls, a better team I must warn would have punished us today. Once again after taking the lead we dropped off and sat too deep. It was Butt, N'Zogbia especially and Jonas with his combatitive if often fruitless running which kept the side going when it looked like we were happy to keep it at 1-0 or when they scored, to stick with what we had. Owen was pretty much anonymous today while Viduka was poor up[ until his moment of magic in setting up Duff.

The biggest thing that stood out in terms of our team and this game was how important a mobile, direct and quick forward is to the side - in short Martins - and how once again we badly require some creativity and running in central areas of midfield, badly. If we can add such a player, maybe a more attacking left-back and bring in some cover for up front, maybe something better can be made of this workmanlike, unbalanced but at times competent side.

A fully deserved 3 points, a good enough performance, a sound defensive game and the perfect Christmas present for us all. Well done the lads and Joe Kinnear. Fanfucking tastic  :thup:

We were the better team first half, 2nd half two average/poor teams going toe-to-toe.

A few random comments about certain Spurs players

Corluka - CNZ had the beating of him. Why Spurs signed him when at one point in the summer they had 3 rightbacks in Gunther, Hutton & Chimbonda is crazy

Modric - To me there did not seem that much difference between him & Guthrie

Bentley - Mentioned to Northerengimp that he was nowt special, the reply "Was he playing" :lol: says it all.

Huddlestone - Looks like he is back on the burger chips now Ramos has done one

Pavlechenko - s****

Was sitting in 1892 today rather than Gallowgate end & Bassong at times is bossing that defence around verbally which was nice to see.

Ok i missed the 2nd half. Did you lot actually deserve it (honest answer please)?

More than your lot deserved the 2-1 league cup win, thats for ******* sure....

Viduka is a waste of space; hasnt won anything in the air and is so static it's unbelievable!!

Thought he was pretty decent myself. So good at holding the ball up with his back to goal and causing trouble around the area. Pivotal role for the winning goal.

Guest firetotheworks

Oh and Beye was superb yet again. We (well, I) just accept it as standard now. Goes without saying.

Aye its becoming a given now, just like Given.  :suicide:

Imo a draw wouldn't have been unfair. Not sure where this whole "we dominated" malarky is coming from. Overall, an even game, and in the end it was a bit of magic from Viduka that won it.

The sign of a true champion is winning when you play poor, we are going to win the league. Nailed on.