The Roflham Lolspurs Thread

Willow

Guest Chubby Jason

By that I mean they could do no better managerially. I'm not saying that Redknapp is the worlds greatest manager, but I'd image he's the best (and most compatible with the club) that they could attract.

It's not often I'll defend Redknapp but he's done a proper job there, totally turned them around. It's pathetic if they think they could do better.

What's wrong with them being ambitious after finishing 4th and getting to the quarters of the CL?

That it's a one off and they should realise that before calling for the head of their best manager in donkeys years perhaps?

It's not often I'll defend Redknapp but he's done a proper job there, totally turned them around. It's pathetic if they think they could do better.

What's wrong with them being ambitious after finishing 4th and getting to the quarters of the CL?

That it's a one off and they should realise that before calling for the head of their best manager in donkeys years perhaps?

Yes, but more generally there's no surprise some are getting excited after their recent achievements. Calling for Redknapp's head is OTT but there's nothing wrong in "thinking they could do better".

It's unlikely, but if you can't have some optimism and ambition after the upwardly mobile 12 months they've had then when can you?

Yes, but more generally there's no surprise some are getting excited after their recent achievements. Calling for Redknapp's head is OTT but there's nothing wrong in "thinking they could do better".

It's unlikely, but if you can't have some optimism and ambition after the upwardly mobile 12 months they've had then when can you?

That is the height of their ambition that they can realistically reach. They're insane if they think they could do any better than last season or even repeat it with all the money being spent by the top teams.

Guest Chubby Jason

What's to say he can't get them back up there again? He's got them from bottom of the league to Champions League in the space of something like 3 years, for him to be sacked would be ridiculous. They forced Jol out years ago and were greeted with the disastrous Ramos appointment, if he is sacked they'll get what they deserve...so hopefully they do give him the bullet.

Guest BooBoo

Harry can sugar coat it all he wants, but Spurs' form at the business end of the season has been awful.

I took no joy in their loss last night. I would much rather they make fifth then Liverpool.

If they did sack Redknapp (which would be silly) they could always go for CH.  :fishing:

Would rather they got Sam.

Take van der Vaart out of Spurs for 9 months and give us Ben Arfa fit and I doubt there'd have been much difference.

I dunno like  :lol:

Not that mad to suggest Ben Arfa would have helped us to 2-3 extra wins and Spurs without van der Vaart to have 2-3 less wins is it? :lol:

the extra games and added competition for 4th have seen them buckle a bit, you need a big enough squad and i'm not sure they have that.

in fairness they've done well given the absolute cretins who play up front for them. the extent to which the strikers have underperformed has really fucked up their season. i think defoe hadn't scored a goal until his 14th game of the season. add in some comedy defending from time to time by the likes of Gomes and it's no surprise where they've finished. Can't really blame Redknapp for that imo.

Take van der Vaart out of Spurs for 9 months and give us Ben Arfa fit and I doubt there'd have been much difference.

And Lennon, Bale and Modric

Yeah, and when comparing the sides you also have to look at the weaker players. I don't think the likes of Simpson, Nolan, Perch, Best, Ryan Taylor or Lovenkrands would get anywhere near their first team.

Take away VDV and they're probably below us, tbh.

If VDV then joined us, maybe.

Spurs are going to finish on less points than we managed under Souness and Roeder. They haven't had a good season, despite the obvious talent on their books.

Guest BooBoo

But Bale played well agains Inter automatically elevating him to the position of second best player in the world and Spurs a Barca-lite side.

What's more like the truth is that Spurs and Bale gave been generally disappointing with half a dozen good performances creating a load of media hype/ nonsense.

And Lennon, Bale and Modric

Yeah, and when comparing the sides you also have to look at the weaker players. I don't think the likes of Simpson, Nolan, Perch, Best, Ryan Taylor or Lovenkrands would get anywhere near their first team.

Of course they wouldn't still doesn't mean to say if they'd missed VdV and we'd had Ben Arfa available we'd not have finished a lot closer. It's only a 4 game swing really.

But Bale played well agains Inter automatically elevating him to the position of second best player in the world and Spurs a Barca-lite side.

What's more like the truth is that Spurs and Bale gave been generally disappointing with half a dozen good performances creating a load of media hype/ nonsense.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6931699,00.html

Harry slams 'idiot' critics

Harry Redknapp has angrily hit out at Tottenham fans who have criticised the club's fortunes this season.

Redknapp is bemused by those supporters who used a radio phone-in following the 1-0 defeat by Manchester City on Tuesday to vent their anger at Spurs' recent slump.

Hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League once again were extinguished at Eastlands and the team are locked in a battle with Liverpool - Sunday's opponents - for fifth place in the Premier League.

Redknapp insists the dissenting voices are only a minority and is not taking any notice of their opinion.

"The reaction doesn't hurt me. The reason I don't listen to phone-ins is because you're talking about idiots," he said.

"Who rings up a radio station? My dad lived for football, went every Saturday, but he wouldn't pick up the phone to a radio station. It's absolute nonsense.

"They're idiots who don't even watch football. They say, 'We were rubbish today'.

"The guys on the radio ask them if they were at the game, and they say, 'No, I heard it on the radio'.

"When I start worrying about what they think, I'll be in trouble.

"99.9 per cent of people who go to Tottenham have loved everything they've seen. That's all that matters."

No disaster

Spurs made their Champions League debut this season, reaching the quarter-finals where they were knocked out by Real Madrid.

Redknapp stresses that the club can never take qualifying for Europe's top club competition for granted.

"I can't believe what's been said. I don't know where they've been the last few years. Not watching Tottenham obviously," he said.

"We've seen some great football this year, some great games.

"Maybe expectations have been raised, but they don't have any brains, they don't understand.

"If they think we should have Champions League football every year, then what's been happening during all those years we didn't qualify?

"I didn't see us reaching the Champions League previously.

"It's not as if it's something that happens every year but hasn't happened this time, so it's a disaster.

"It's so hard to get into the top four now.

"We were flying until Gareth Bale got injured and that was a massive setback for us. We could have got an extra four or five points."

I reckon he can't wait until next summer and the England job. 6th will be their limit next year and he'll see it as a chance to get out.

If he feels the need to hit back at critics, the England job isn't for him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BooBoo

Some Keegan esque comments from Redknapp tonight, essentially saying "this is as good as it's gonna get."

Odd.

Some Keegan esque comments from Redknapp tonight, essentially saying "this is as good as it's gonna get."

Odd.

trying to make out he's actually done a brilliant job rather than completely take his eye off the league while being caught staring at the bright lights of the champions league

Odd.

Is that him saying thats as far as he can take them?

Getting ready for the Chelsea job?