West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me Carroll is looking the same player with the same strenghts and weaknesses as he did last year but the difference is it's now in the Premiership and England which is huge. Quite often the sign of a good player is that he looks the same no matter what the team is and to be fair Andy did that tonight.

I daresay Carroll at 21 is better than Crouch was at 21, but Crouch has the experience and it showed tonight.

Carroll showed tonight that he's not afraid of being pitched in at that level. He didn't freeze, and did his best, which is promising. But he's still raw and looks a couple of years off being ready.

Crouch did one thing and it was instinctive. Carroll never got the opportunity. Thought Carroll's all-round game was good compared to him.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4520/010278921017800.jpg

:laugh:

Looks like a 'Jack the Lad' type then as well.

before he went for the homeless look

Chuffed to bits for him. When you think back to twelve months ago he wasn't even first choice striker until shola got injured and we were desperate. Most of his goals came toward the end of last season, his rise to international level has taken well under a year and is nothing short of remarkable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9201845.stm

England manager Fabio Capello has defended his decision to leave Steven Gerrard on the pitch until the 85th minute of their 2-1 defeat by France.

Gerrard went off injured and Capello was criticised by Liverpool fitness coach Darren Burgess on Twitter, though the comments were later removed.

But Capello said: "I told Liverpool he would play for an hour if possible.

"With Garry Barry and Rio Ferdinand's injuries we needed a senior player on the pitch. I'm upset about Gerrard."

Capello added: "They asked that he can play one hour if it's possible. They can't decide how long a player plays with the national team. If it's possible, he'd have played an hour.

"I understand why they're upset and I'm also upset. The problem is that, when you play this game on Wednesday after a lot of Premier League, Europa League or Champions League games, it's possible there might be an injury for a player.

"The Premier League, every time, is a tough league for the players."

England were thoroughly outplayed by France in the friendly at Wembley, but injuries to Gerrard, Barry and Ferdinand look set to overshadow a disappointing performance from Capello's men.

Australian Burgess, who joined Liverpool in the summer as head of fitness and conditioning, did not hide his disgust after watching Gerrard limp off towards the end of the contest, though his tweets were deleted after about an hour of being published.

"Unbelievable from all associated with England and English FA with regard to SGs [Gerrard's] injury. Completely ignored agreement and past history," said Burgess.

"Completely amateurish and now we pay for their incompetence. Absolutely disgraceful."

Liverpool's official website said that Gerrard would be assessed on his return to their training base at Melwood on Thursday.

Not particularly unhappy to see Gerrard out like but it shows what we were up against. Telling comments from the Liverpool bloke.

At the end of the article,  theres some good positive quotes from Capello on Carroll too;

Capello reserved special praise for Carroll, who passed a late fitness test on a groin injury to make his first appearance for his country.

"I'm really happy for Carroll and his performance, he's a really good player for the future of England," added Capello. "We have found a good player and that's important."

:thup:

Nah was probably just Hughton being spineless ;)

It still surprises me how much Carroll dominates defenders, I know he is a big lad but your typical centre back is hardly Walter the softy the commentator had it spot on tonight, Carroll fancies himself against anybody and rightly so. Was also nice to hear them mention Bolton putting 3 up against him but still not being able to stop him.

Very happy for him that he got to play. Must have been a fantastic occasion for him.

Was very disappointed with what seemed to be England's gameplan in the first half... left him to create much out of nothing. Still he did okay with the little he had to feed from.

I was relieved when he finally came off too :)

Guest firetotheworks

I only saw highlights because I was out tonight, but whenever I saw him I was filled with so much pride to see one of our players, one of our fans, and one of our strikers playing as number 9 for England. Even when his touch let him down I had a smile on my face.

Something seemed to click for him at Old Trafford in August. He was scoring goals before that, but was looking generally poor on the deck. He's looked absolutely sensational for the most part since that game.

Can you give some credit to CH and CC.

Pleased with what I saw, very proud of him.

Same here, especially since the whole match was the Andy Carroll match. All the focus and attention on him, he was the main man, almost Rooney-esque at times, loved it.

I hate being a sissy but I'm now genuinely worried about how long we'll be able to keep him. It seems that every hyped young english player starting out at smaller premiership teams in the past five years has without exception been poached by bigger clubs.

Ex) young, downing, bentley, johnson

I hate being a sissy but I'm now genuinely worried about how long we'll be able to keep him. It seems that every hyped young english player starting out at smaller premiership teams in the past five years has without exception been poached by bigger clubs.

Ex) young, downing, bentley, johnson

If someone wants to offer £35m for him the fair enough, its something we can't turn down but he's just signed a 5 years deal, he's going nowhere unless the offer is gigantic.