West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He is a poor footballer who had a good year, basically.

Nonsense.

How is there any evidence of anything different?

Well, if we want to nitpick, there's 3 Premier League goals in 5 starts in 2009.

The line between success and failure for forwards is thinner than for the others 9 players on the field. We've seen it with a lot of strikers, upset the balance of their reponsibilities and their return drastically changes. Look at Leon Best; as the main man he couldn't stop scoring.

His powers may have been exaggerated slightly due to the fact that we'd just come up and everyone thought we were shit, so the assumption was that us matching and sometimes twatting teams had to be completely due to our standout player, who also happened to excite people by being English and the type of player people had been yearning to see for a while.  As it happened, after he left, we still often managed to defy expectations.

In other words, it was assumed that if he could make Newcastle beat Villa 6-0, he'd turn Liverpool into Real Madrid.

He is a poor footballer who had a good year, basically.

Nonsense.

How is there any evidence of anything different?

Well, if we want to nitpick, there's 3 Premier League goals in 5 starts in 2009.

The line between success and failure for forwards is thinner than for the others 9 players on the field. We've seen it with a lot of strikers, upset the balance of their reponsibilities and their return drastically changes. Look at Leon Best; as the main man he couldn't stop scoring.

i don't buy that, you watch a game and you can see if a forward has a good game regardless if he scores or not, conversely you can watch a forward have a stinker and people will still give him MotM when he mishits 2 goals.

He just doesn't have any self confidence now. IMO self confidence is one of the biggest things affecting how players do in any sport. It just seems nobody really understands how important it really is.

He just doesn't have any self confidence now. IMO self confidence is one of the biggest things affecting how players do in any sport. It just seems nobody really understands how important it really is.

Agree that he looks absolutely bereft of that youthful arrogance/confidence he enjoyed with us. He just didn't seem to be fazed no matter who he was doing battle with at centre back.

To me, he looks like a little boy lost. I think the move was too soon, too big and he's going to take some time to grow into the position, club etc.

Still don't seem him flopping completely though.

Guest neesy111

He was exceptional for us for a good year, he was unbeatable in the air, he goes to Liverpool and suddenly he can do nothing right? A pretty clear case of a player struggling to bed in like.

I remember similar sayings about Michael Ricketts.....

He was exceptional for us for a good year, he was unbeatable in the air, he goes to Liverpool and suddenly he can do nothing right? A pretty clear case of a player struggling to bed in like.

Ah, the Michael Ricketts comparison. I didn't expect that one like...

What transfer can Ricketts blame his dip in form on then?

:spit:

Personally speaking, I would rather we didn't bring him back. Everything was geared towards him when he was at Newcastle, I'm not sure he fits into a team that plays passing football. I know we are still pretty direct, but I'd like to think we have higher aspirations. I'd much prefer to see us sign a Bellamy type rather than another big man. I still rate Carroll as a big target man, I just think the rest of his game isn't all that.

His powers may have been exaggerated slightly due to the fact that we'd just come up and everyone thought we were shit, so the assumption was that us matching and sometimes twatting teams had to be completely due to our standout player, who also happened to excite people by being English and the type of player people had been yearning to see for a while.  As it happened, after he left, we still often managed to defy expectations.

In other words, it was assumed that if he could make Newcastle beat Villa 6-0, he'd turn Liverpool into Real Madrid.

Sums it up. There was an element of hysteria surrounding assessments of the player.

His power in the air was a very useful weapon for us to have in coming up to the top division, but he needs far more to be of use to a team like Liverpool.