West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If true, I'm glad the club took that stance.

He's a fantastic footballer, but he isn't the club. We have to think what a new contract so soon would have done to the rest of the club. At a time when Barton was accepting a pay cut, giving Carroll such a rise would have disrupted the squad.

IF it is true and he wanted more money to stay then.. A. he was aware of what Liverpool were willing to pay him(tapping up?)

B.. Club had no choice but to accept the offer, cannot let players do this.. he thinks he is fkn Rooney.

It does seem he was aware, at least he knew of the first Liverpool bid and his agent would have a good idea what that meant in terms of wages. Asking for a new contract under the circumstances would be down to agent advice, persuaded Carroll the time was perfect to ask for more money as they knew that Liverpool had bid. Agent saw a Rooney type situation and mega dollars for himself.

Guest neesy111

If we'd really wanted to keep him we would have offered him a new contract.

And? Give him a new contract every 3 months man when he wants a pay rise.

Cause he wanted a new contract this one time like? Relax man. Should've given him one.

2 months after his last major contract.  Not even Man Utd or Chelsea give out contracts every 2-3 months man.

What's to say he wanted a new contract 2 months after his last one like?

Pardew has said he asked for new contract, see his interview.

His deal with us wasn't even that good. If he had gotten this new and improved one, that would prob be the end of it.

he had gotten a new improved deal a few months ago, whats supposed to be done just hand out new contracts every few months?

That new deal on around £35k a week, if that isn't a decent deal then I don't know what is.

Rooney did it at Man Ure at it worked.. is it not believable that Carroll would try the same?.. is Carroll version of  "kind of pushed me out"  more            "they would not pay me more money so I had no choice"

Guest neesy111

Cause he wanted a new contract this one time like? Relax man. Should've given him one.

2 months after his last major contract.  Not even Man Utd or Chelsea give out contracts every 2-3 months man.

His deal with us wasn't even that good. If he had gotten this new and improved one, that would prob be the end of it.

he had gotten a new improved deal a few months ago, whats supposed to be done just hand out new contracts every few months?

Not saying that. But to keep hold of our best players we have to be up there with clubs like Tottenham and Liverpool when it comes to wages. Carroll was no where near those wages.

Spurs don't pay out massive wages btw.  Carroll was still on decent wages for what he was a prospect.  Would you hand out 100k to striker that's had a good 6 months.  Nah.

On that theory we should have offered Jenas a similar amount for his decent 6 months in 2002/03.

This is what i thought the whole time.

Carroll is basically stating that he was forced out as no footballer is going to turn down such a huge increase in wages. We made no attempt whatsoever to negotiate an increase in his, regardless of much he is now being valued & he asked to leave.

I still think we could have done better. We wanted the money.

You can have a go at Carroll, but i dont see a single footballer in his position turning down such a move. Nothing to do with loyalty, its a massive difference in how much you're valued by a club.

aye, "forced" to leave can be taken many ways - to be honest i think in a sense they have very much forced him...he knew what he could get and would probably have been happy to stay in toon if we'd met in the middle, as it is they'll have known that not offering any increase at all would force his hand

they get t/fer request that absolves them of blame and also pocket 35m quid to boot

well played fat boys

Basically how i feel about it yeah, it worked out very nicely for them

All that took place in a 10 minute time frame ? me thinks not

It's incredibly naive to think that the bids/transfer requests were made/rejected/accepted at the time reported in the media. It's obvious this stretched across the entire day.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Fair play to the board

I personally believe pardew and what he says. Call me gullible but they have made exactly the correct decision.

The blame sits squarely with Carroll

It's incredibly naive to think that the bids/transfer requests were made/rejected/accepted at the time reported in the media. It's obvious this stretched across the last few days.

Guest neesy111

Rooney did it at Man Ure at it worked.. is it not believable that Carroll would try the same?.. is Carroll version of  "kind of pushed me out"  more            "they would not pay me more money so I had no choice"

The same rooney that is

IF it is true and he wanted more money to stay then.. A. he was aware of what Liverpool were willing to pay him(tapping up?)

B.. Club had no choice but to accept the offer, cannot let players do this.. he thinks he is fkn Rooney.

It does seem he was aware, at least he knew of the first Liverpool bid and his agent would have a good idea what that meant in terms of wages. Asking for a new contract under the circumstances would be down to agent advice, persuaded Carroll the time was perfect to ask for more money as they knew that Liverpool had bid. Agent saw a Rooney type situation and mega dollars for himself.

Fact is, we are not in the financial position to offer stupid wages on someone after a good 6 months.  Also I thought many on here agreed with the fact ashley was cutting down on the large wages we were paying anycase ???

Guest sicko2ndbest

Should of offered him a new contract worth 50k a week with lots of incentives and performance related bonuses ontop.

Bollox

He was holding the club to ransom

The club called his bluff

It's incredibly naive to think that the bids/transfer requests were made/rejected/accepted at the time reported in the media. It's obvious this stretched across the entire day.

Funny now its NUFC people (not saying you) reckon mega deals can be sorted out very quick. When it was Benty people could not get there head round how quick that deal went through.

Look at the Torres deal, Torres & Chelsea were talking image rights before  Liverpool had accepted a bid.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Fair play to the board

I personally believe pardew and what he says. Call me gullible but they have made exactly the correct decision.

The blame sits squarely with Carroll

You are gullible.

Pardews version of events seems completely plausible

2 months after his last major contract.  Not even Man Utd or Chelsea give out contracts every 2-3 months man.

That new deal on around £35k a week, if that isn't a decent deal then I don't know what is.

Then you really don't know. It's decent enough, but "good" for our best player? No way.

As much as it is a risk selling Carroll now without replacing him, those comparing it to January 2009 must surely realise it is a far smaller risk. We are a maximum of three wins away from safety. We've won games without Carroll this season already.

Guest Roger Kint

Should of offered him a new contract worth 50k a week with lots of incentives and performance related bonuses ontop.

What about in 12 months time if he came back for another one? Where does it end once you back down to a player once?

Fully expect last years accounts to be pushed out in the next 10 days showing a sizable loss with Ashley pointing to how much he has put in again to keep us alive to deflect from this transfer. Didnt they do that after relegation transfer window?

As much as it is a risk selling Carroll now without replacing him, those comparing it to January 2009 must surely realise it is a far smaller risk. We are a maximum of three wins away from safety. We've won games without Carroll this season already.

And were two stupid mistakes away from a 100% successful league month without him.

ALAN Pardew today hit back at Andy Carroll’s claim he was forced out of St James’s Park.

And Newcastle United’s manager also insisted he has been promised that Carroll’s £35m-plus fee will be reinvested in the team by owner Mike Ashley.

Carroll last night completed a transfer deadline day move to Liverpool after handing in a written transfer request.

But the striker told friends in a series of texts he didn’t want to leave Newcastle – and had been forced out because the United “wanted the money”.

However, Pardew says Carroll – who signed a new long-term contract in October – approached him about a new contract after training, and handed a transfer request in when the club baulked at renegotiating his deal so soon after it was signed.

Asked about Carroll’s texts, Pardew told the Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave.

“I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that.

“Was this about football? That’s what you have to ask. I don’t think it was.”

Liverpool moved for Carroll after Chelsea hardened their interest in Fernando Torres, who last night joined Chelsea in a British-record £48m deal.

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

Pardew – who “guaranteed” Carroll wouldn’t be sold after succeeding Chris Hughton in December – was unable to bring in a replacement given the last-minute nature of the deal, which was confirmed less than an hour before transfer-window deadline.

With Wayne Routledge and Xisco having left on loan, and only Stephen Ireland having signed, Pardew’s squad is significantly weaker than it was a month ago.

However, Pardew has taken Ashley’s assurances that the fee will be spent on players in the summer, and beyond, at face value.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him,” added Pardew.

“One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

And asked about his repeated assurances that Carroll wouldn’t be sold, Pardew said: “We never put him up for sale – we fended off a bid from another Premiership club.

“But no club’s about one player. We’re absolutely gutted that he’s gone. It’s disappointing, but we’re not in a financial position like Liverpool.”

This is what i thought the whole time.

Carroll is basically stating that he was forced out as no footballer is going to turn down such a huge increase in wages. We made no attempt whatsoever to negotiate an increase in his, regardless of much he is now being valued & he asked to leave.

I still think we could have done better. We wanted the money.

If any player uses a transfer to get more money out of us, then it shows there real motivation.

If you instantly find out your worth the 8th highest transfer fee of all time I reckon your going to ask for a pay rise.

Can't believe people are actually saying we should have accepted his demands and gave him a new contract after he only recently signed a bigger one. If he wasn't happy with his pay he should have asked for more before he signed it. What if we gave him this new contract, he scored another 10 goals this season, Liverpool bid 40 mil in the summer would he come back and ask for an even bigger contract? It would be endless. Not only that how would the other players around him feel if AC kept getting offered these bumper contracts every transfer deadline? Tiote, Enrique, Colo, Barton, would they all form a queue and do exactly the same? We would just be a laughing stock because the players would end up being bigger than the club. The club were 110% spot on when they said we arent offering you that new deal a few months after you signed a 5 year contract. Earn your pay rise on the pitch not off it because clubs have bid for you and going to offer you more money. The only massive dissapointment for me is this as all happened at a time when we were in no sort of position to bring any sort of quality which we would have done if we just sold him July 1st. But there is life after Andy Carroll we are by no means a one man team!