West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we'd really wanted to keep him we would have offered him a new contract.

And? Give him a new contract every 3 months man when he wants a pay rise.

Cause he wanted a new contract this one time like? Relax man. Should've given him one.

2 months after his last major contract.  Not even Man Utd or Chelsea give out contracts every 2-3 months man.

What's to say he wanted a new contract 2 months after his last one like?

Pardew has said he asked for new contract, see his interview.

His deal with us wasn't even that good. If he had gotten this new and improved one, that would prob be the end of it.

he had gotten a new improved deal a few months ago, whats supposed to be done just hand out new contracts every few months?

Not saying that. But to keep hold of our best players we have to be up there with clubs like Tottenham and Liverpool when it comes to wages. Carroll was no where near those wages.

Why should we attempt to compete with those teams in terms of wages OR transfer fees? This is a local hero, wearing the #9 shirt he probably dreamt about wearing as a kid. I'm sure after signing a new contract in October he was hardly earning a pittance.

In this day and age it isn't a surprise to see players motivated by money, not a surprise, just a massive disappointment.

However much I'd love to blame Ashley for this, let's be brutally honest, if we supported any other team and saw a still relatively unproven Premiership striker, with half a full season under his belt, several off-the-field problems and currently injured (under allegedly dubious circumstances), being sold for £35m we'd think the buying team were being robbed blind.

Ask yourselves this: How would you all feel if Andy Carroll was a born and bred cockney, playing for someone like Fulham, adn we had just shelled out £35m for him? We'd be even more of a frigging laughing stock.

I`m sure there are certain players at the club that feel they deserve more wages than Carroll

Who?

You missed the part where i mentioned Ben Arfa. How well has Carroll played without Barton or Tiote in the team. What use is his Goals if Enrique isn`t defending as well as he is ? How many goals has Nolan scored ( Not saying for 1 second he deserves but he could say that ).

You reckon Ben Arfa wants more money? The kid has been buckled most of the season. If he wants more money we will hear about it looking at his previous.

Because it all sounds logical, and what I expected to be true. I'm not going to go against my instincts in this.

"That sounds logical, it can't be true!!! Pardew probably shagged Carroll's mum and was then forced to leave! LOL!"

Guest neesy111

The fact is, putting players on stupid contracts in the past is what contributed massively to our financial problems.  No player is bigger than club, and we've had much bigger players than Carroll far bigger.

That month staying at Nolan HQ was all part of the brainwashing him to LFC.

NOLAN YOU ARE CUNT!!! I WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU!!! YOU MADE HIM LEAVE GEORDIE AGENT PETER HARRISON TO JOIN YOUR AGENT MARK CURTIS!!! YOU MADE CARROLL LEAVE  NUFC TO JOIN YOUR BELOVED LFC!!!! FUCK OFF YOU FAT CUNT!!!! FUCK OFF!!!

Off to work now, speak later.

There's no way that the sheer fact Ashley/Pardew/etc 'considered' the £35m bid was enough to turn him from wanting to spend ten years here to wanting out asap in the space of hours, for christs sake. The story Pardew has told there completely checks out, and how on earth can he tell bare-faced lies anyway? Carroll would come out and dispute those quotes if they were untrue.

@WarrenBarton (I'm on my phone so can't quote) The way we play, we don't need Andy Carroll and we've already proved that this month. He's the best of our striker bunch no doubt but his replacements are carbon copies in terms of style who can do a capable job imo. As I said in my first post we will survive, we're too strong defensively and in the middle to not win 4 more games or so. I'm still optimistic, we've got the likes of Ben Arfa and Ireland to come into the fold yet, who are exciting and productive players when on top form. We'll be fine and the club will move forward.

The fact is, putting players on stupid contracts in the past is what contributed massively to our financial problems.  No player is bigger than club, and we've had much bigger players than Carroll far bigger.

A contract better than 30 k a week isn't necessarily stupid money you know. 30 k a week is, tbh, not enough for one of our absolute best players. Former players have nothing to do with this tbh..

There's no way that the sheer fact Ashley/Pardew/etc 'considered' the £35m bid was enough to turn him from wanting to spend ten years here to wanting out asap in the space of hours, for christs sake. The story Pardew has told there completely checks out, and how on earth can he tell bare-faced lies anyway? Carroll would come out and dispute those quotes if they were untrue.

Let's give hime more than 30 minutes, aye?

Guest neesy111

That is what I'm waiting to see happens in all of this.  Carroll can easily tell his events of the story, though Carroll will have been brainwashed by his agent.

This is key.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfGCf9uupbCK8Ba756hXsKLgHi7PlkYPUM2oftOtcLetWUmpSkDw

Like with everything in football we'll never find out what really happened. More inclined to believe the player over our board. We know how dodgy that lot are.

Fair play to the board

I personally believe pardew and what he says. Call me gullible but they have made exactly the correct decision.

The blame sits squarely with Carroll

You are gullible.

Pardews version of events seems completely plausible

It's certainly from the "horse's mouth" and not just smoke and mirrors, a bit if innuendo and some alleged text messaging.

Let's give hime more than 30 minutes, aye?

I will do, however my opinion is that we'll hear nothing of the sort, because what Pardew has said seems reasonable to me.

i agree, but the whole thing makes no sense no matter what way you look at it so everyone will make what they want of it.  Bet liverpool fans are please to see hes saying he didnt want to join them, Carroll himself seems more bothered what we think than them.

A contract better than 30 k a week isn't necessarily stupid money you know. 30 k a week is, tbh, not enough for one of our absolute best players. Former players have nothing to do with this tbh..

£30k a week for a young striker, only a handful of Premier League appearances, let alone goals, is a hefty amount.

Until someone introduces fee and salary caps, football is about 90% business and money and 10% 'playing' at the moment.

Ashley might be a lot of things but at least he's trying to make us a sustainable football club. I know there are plenty of haters, and rightly so, but he didn't HAVE to strengthen last January to ensure more bodies and promotion, he DID back Hughton in the summer when it first seemed he wouldn't do and accepting £35m for Carroll is common sense man. Granted, my opinion will drastically change if, come the summer we're back in the Championship or don't reinvest the money into the team.

Where are the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool going to be if their owners pulled the plug on their funding?

@WarrenBarton (I'm on my phone so can't quote) The way we play, we don't need Andy Carroll and we've already proved that this month. He's the best of our striker bunch no doubt but his replacements are carbon copies in terms of style who can do a capable job imo. As I said in my first post we will survive, we're too strong defensively and in the middle to not win 4 more games or so. I'm still optimistic, we've got the likes of Ben Arfa and Ireland to come into the fold yet, who are exciting and productive players when on top form. We'll be fine and the club will move forward.

so we're going to win games by being strong defensively?  You also need to score, meaning theres a helluva lot of pressure on Nolan and Barton to chip in.  Ireland is a total gamble in that he could be utterly shit as much as he could be a spark.  Its not going to be particularly fun watching the next few months.

Guest Brewcastle

No player is bigger than the club. So now it's only to wish the best for Best, and the rest. And hope that Liverpool get so much trouble with Carroll that they soon will regret their big spending.

The most depressing thing about all this is that the same thing will happen if any of our players start attracting major attention from more ambitious clubs. Our lot won't budge, so they'll be sold.

Basically we're going to be simply going from transfer window to transfer window almost hoping our players don't do too well.

If the club weren't willing to compromise on our most valuable asset then the rest of them have no chance. This will result in a very high turnover of players, with the average ones happy to stay and the good ones sold.