West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure if it's been posted or mentioned before, but what do people think about the supposed texts from Carrol saying he didn't want to leave?

http://www.fansonline.net/newcastleunited/article.php?id=599

Either they're bollocks or Pardew's just slandered Carroll to the press.

Not at all.. Carroll can feel pushed out by the club as in his eyes they would not agree to what he wanted to stay..

Well I know where I'm not wanted, you won't pay me what Liverpool will.

What Pardew says there stacks up tbh. :undecided:

Sadly I agree Dave, the club's policy on transfers and contracts is hard-line and Ashley is immovable in his view that players should fall into line. He was never going to improve Carroll's contract again so soon after doing it the first time.

As much as I don't like the result, the policy is clear and at least they have some sort of plan for how the finances are managed.

This. What a cunt he is asking for a new contract and claiming the club 'forced him out'. If not offering a ridiculous contract when he signed a big one a couple of months ago = telling a player to leave...then, oh my...what a twat he is.

Anyone got the Ronnie Gill with the new Carroll interview in it ?

MsiDouglas

Never mind the texts... Carroll has given his only interview to the Chronicle. Paper on the streets now. #nufc

2 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

The most depressing thing about all this is that the same thing will happen if any of our players start attracting major attention from more ambitious clubs. Our lot won't budge, so they'll be sold.

Basically we're going to be simply going from transfer window to transfer window almost hoping our players don't do too well.

If the club weren't willing to compromise on our most valuable asset then the rest of them have no chance. This will result in a very high turnover of players, with the average ones happy to stay and the good ones sold.

But it's the same with virtually every club sadly. I know this has been mentioned before but it's worth reiterating that in the last couple of years Everton have lost Rooney, Tottenham have lost Berbatov & Carrick, Liverpool now Torres, Arsenal have lost a load of players and same will happen again with Fabregas at some point, even the Mancs lost Ronaldo. Would you describe all of these clubs as selling clubs? The only two not listed are City and Chelsea, and City almost lost Tevez when he kicked up. These two are the only two, due to their owners, that have the power to ensure their best stay put simply through huge finances. So, do we start dreaming of a Qatari takeover? Then we have the opposite problem of having a bunch of mercenaries whose sole purpose on tyneside is picking up a pay cheque.

I think you summed it up best in the other thread, football is fucked whichever side of the fence you're on for very different reasons. Being a fan is a pretty fucking miserable lot with the game as it is right now.

Two great posts that sum up the situation well. We'll never be able to resist massive bids like this for players, especially unproven ones like Carroll.

But we shouldn't feel too bad, that's the case with all clubs that don't have owners with limitless wealth and a willingness to spend it.

Why are so many of you believing Pardew, ffs? He'll be saying what Ashley and Llambias have told him to - the man is a patsy and was brought in for that very reason. Joe Kinnear all over again, without the swearing.

Spot on BG -  I despair, I really do ; some of these guys will be as old as us before they get the message !

Apathy. Look at Jonny Hall.

Seriously, what is your fucking problem? I'm not the only one disagreeing.

Ashley has put us through so much shite since the Keegan tribunal: Relegation, the re-branding of the stadium, sacking Hughton, and so on. Why would he suddenly start caring what the fans think of him? He's just about universally hated.

Keeping that in mind why would be hatch some elaborate plot to cover his arse when Carroll inevitably left? I'm not doubting Ashley wanted to sell at some point, but at the same time I don't buy into the conspiracy theories.

Guest ChickenKiev

Well Said mate...completely agree.

Its one thing if he was on a contract with say 18 months left then he had room to ask for more money and try to negotiate with the club but he was happy with what he got in his new 5 year deal so the club cannot allow him to demand more money to stay.

You do it once then you do it every time.

Yes it means we could lose our top players but there is always that risk, say City want Tiote and offer him £100k per week how are we meant to combat that ?

I say IF this is true the club did the right thing and f*** the greedy little c***.

Ashley has put us through so much shite since the Keegan tribunal: Relegation, the re-branding of the stadium, sacking Hughton, and so on. Why would he suddenly start caring what the fans think of him? He's just about universally hated.

Keeping that in mind why would be hatch some elaborate plot to cover his arse when Carroll inevitably left? I'm not doubting Ashley wanted to sell at some point, but at the same time I don't buy into the conspiracy theories.

this summers season ticket sales

Well Said mate...completely agree.

Its one thing if he was on a contract with say 18 months left then he had room to ask for more money and try to negotiate with the club but he was happy with what he got in his new 5 year deal so the club cannot allow him to demand more money to stay.

You do it once then you do it every time.

Yes it means we could lose our top players but there is always that risk, say City want Tiote and offer him £100k per week how are we meant to combat that ?

I say IF this is true the club did the right thing and f*** the greedy little c***.

Agreed as well, you can argue about the limits being set too low, but you can't argue with the club having a financial policy and sticking to it.

paulfraserecho Paul Fraser

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it. #nufc

yep- how i see it.

For me, i'm gutted he's gone.  Its been great having a up and coming striker, a player that has people talking about him and whats more is a geordie from our academy, however he is gone now and the money is in the bank.  There is nothing we can do about it now, in the past we have taken players from clubs who's fans would have been gutted to see then leave using our then financial muscle and now the shoe is on the other foot and obviously its a very bitter taste.

What MA does with the money remains to be seen, NUFC is bigger then MA, DL, AC so for the club life goes on, its not perfect, its not great but we keep on supporting OUR team.

Fingers crossed for investment and 10+ more points, we've still got a good squad with a seemingly good spirit.  Id rather have sold Carroll for £35m then have bought him TBH.

Good luck Andy, your going to need it because Liverpool is no better then NUFC.

Ashley has put us through so much s**** since the Keegan tribunal: Relegation, the re-branding of the stadium, sacking Hughton, and so on. Why would he suddenly start caring what the fans think of him? He's just about universally hated.

:sadnod:

I'm not defending Ashley. I just find it more likely that Carroll wanted to leave. That rather than Ashley would go out of his way to cover his arse and somehow 'force' Carroll to sign a transfer request,, when he hasn't given a shit what we think in the past.

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it. #nufc

yep- how i see it.

How could he have made Carroll hand in a transfer request though? It doesn't make sense.

The only situation would be that Carroll made it clear he wanted to leave and the club said they wouldn't sell him unless he officially asked to go. That makes sense, nothing else.

Ashley has put us through so much s**** since the Keegan tribunal: Relegation, the re-branding of the stadium, sacking Hughton, and so on. Why would he suddenly start caring what the fans think of him? He's just about universally hated.

I'm not defending Ashley. I just find it more likely that Carroll wanted to leave. That rather than Ashley would go out of his way to cover his arse and somehow 'force' Carroll to sign a transfer request,, when he hasn't given a s*** what we think in the past.

I agree with you.

yep- how i see it.

Andy hand in a transfer request or we will........

Do what exactly?

He signed it, didnt have to.  

Andy hand in a transfer request or we will........

Do what exactly?

He signed it, didnt have to. 

yep- how i see it.

miss quote you on the internet?

The most depressing thing about all this is that the same thing will happen if any of our players start attracting major attention from more ambitious clubs. Our lot won't budge, so they'll be sold.

I kind of fear the same, until you can compete with the top 4 financially you'll always be worried that any player's startling progress will inevitably lead to him moving. That unfortunately is the reality of where we are today.

Fortunately we do have some very good players at the club, despite the current wailing we are not a one man team and if we had given in to his demands as soon as another club came after him, it would have had more serious and longer term implications for the morale of the team than his departure will have.

..and are these 'very good players' going to stay at a club that sells its best young players when other clubs dangle big bucks in front of them ?? See what happens with Enrique in summer..

Dunno mate. All I know is they won't be here forever and the better they are the harder they'll be to keep.

Real question is how well placed we will be scouting wise and financially to keep/replace them.

How could he have made Carroll hand in a transfer request though? It doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. Now the club can come out of this pretending they didn't want to sell him. It's PR.

Sure there's no force involved, but does it really have to be? On the one hand, you're asked to leave. On the other hand, you have an offer to triple your wages.

I'm not defending Ashley. I just find it more likely that Carroll wanted to leave. That rather than Ashley would go out of his way to cover his arse and somehow 'force' Carroll to sign a transfer request,, when he hasn't given a s*** what we think in the past.

I agree with you.

Looking at all sides of the story, the most plausible argument so far is that we rejected Liverpool's bid, Carroll said he wanted a higher wage, we said no, he took this as 'not wanting him' so he asks to leave, we say only if you hand in a transfer request, he says ok, signs, sealed and delivered.

yep- how i see it.

"Oh, no, HE'S ASKING ME! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?! :frantic:"