West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

paulfraserecho Paul Fraser

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it. #nufc

Andy hand in a transfer request or we will........

Do what exactly?

He signed it, didnt have to. 

yep- how i see it.

miss quote you on the internet?

oops

So, I'm pretty much only just home after work and then a night out. I'm 200 pages behind on this thread :lol: The jist is, some people are claiming a conspiracy theory, just like the BBC, that Carroll was forced out? When, from what I've read, there's not a single thing that truly points to it? Can't help but feel the guy got his head turned and he figured he'd take the shot at Liverpool.

I feel like it's in the same mould as the mackems and Bent, except Carroll hasn't wanted out for as long. Player likes the look of 'trading up', transfer request, unbelievable offer, might as well sell a player for a shitload of money if he's going to be unhappy. The only thing I've read is the mobile BBC website though.

It makes no sense that Carroll would hand in a transfer request because he was asked IF HE NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE.

"We're selling you, Carroll."

"Er, but boss, I realy want to stay."

"Well you're not, sign this so that we look like angels and you look a cunt and Kev will run you down to Liverpool"

"Er, ok boss."

I think the most likely outcome is that he may have been asked to hand in a transfer request, but only after it had been made clear he wanted to leave (more than likely after it was made clear to him he wouldn't be getting a payrise). I'm by no means claiming Ashley isn't a nob, and I'm pretty sure he's chuffed with the 35 million rolling into his account, but i'm also pretty sure Carroll wasn't "forced" out of the club, he had a 5 year contract, and it was his choice to leave.

Carroll now quoted as saying that Derek Llambias asked him to hand in transfer request and says he felt like he was forced in to it. #nufc

yep- how i see it.

How could he have made Carroll hand in a transfer request though? It doesn't make sense.

The only situation would be that Carroll made it clear he wanted to leave and the club said they wouldn't sell him unless he officially asked to go. That makes sense, nothing else.

All this confusion is being used by both parties to save face. Both Carroll and Ashley's heads were turned by both the size of the fee and the substantial increase in wages that  were supposedly on offer. At the end of the day, if he 'loved' the club as much as he claimed he would have told Liverpool that he wasn't interested, irrespective of whether he was asked to hand in a transfer request or not.

It's a sort of 'plastic' loyalty that footballers have these days. Nothing sincere and meaningful can ever be taken from such statements imo. Just sounbites to please their audience.

paulfraserecho

14 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Retweeted by UtdForNewcastle and 1 other

yep- how i see it.

How could he have made Carroll hand in a transfer request though? It doesn't make sense.

Are you daft? Would you stay at a club where the owners want to sell you? You'd stick two fingers up at the pricks.

Guest neesy111

ANDY Carroll told the Chronicle how he felt he was pushed out of Newcastle United.

Following his £35m move to Liverpool, the Gateshead-born forward said he wanted to stay on Tyneside.

Today the striker poured his heart out as the club explained why they “reluctantly” allowed their prized asset to leave when he submitted a written transfer request after they initially rejected bids from Liverpool.

Carroll said: “I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that.

“He told me that they are now not going to give me a contract. That was as soon as the offer of £30m came in.

“So I asked why (I wasn’t getting a new contract) and he said his hands were tied.

“He said it wasn’t up to him. Then a £35m bid got accepted.

“And then I was allowed to talk to Liverpool. The owner then made it clear to me that I was not wanted at the club.

“Saying that his own helicopter is waiting for me to go down to talk to them.

“So being shown I’m not wanted I said OK I will talk to them. Then suddenly the bid was rejected.

“And then Derek asked me to hand in a transfer request. So I was pushed into a corner and had no choice.

“I wasn’t wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money.

“Then I flew down in his (Ashley’s) helicopter. I didn’t want to leave.

“I’m gutted that I wasn’t wanted at my home team after everything I’ve done and progress I’ve made.

“I didn’t want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn’t want to leave.

“The players, staff and fans were fantastic.”

Meanwhile, Pardew today told the Chronicle: “There was an offer refused in the morning and then we received a second improved offer.

“Myself, Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias were having a discussion when Andy Carroll poked his head around the door and said he wanted to see me.

“I had the conversation with Andy. He said he wanted a new contract now that would make him the highest paid player at the club.

“This from a guy who had signed a new deal just a few months ago.

“I asked him what he wanted but he didn’t reply.”

It makes perfect sense. Now the club can come out of this pretending they didn't want to sell him. It's PR.

Sure there's no force involved, but does it really have to be? On the one hand, you're asked to leave. On the other hand, you have an offer to triple your wages.

You're missing the point, I'm asking why Carroll would have submitted a transfer request if he didn't want to go.

yep- how i see it.

Are you daft? Would you stay at a club where the owners want to sell you? You'd stick two fingers up at the pricks.

And deflect half of the blame away from them?

(I feel like this thread is on a loop :lol: )

It makes perfect sense. Now the club can come out of this pretending they didn't want to sell him. It's PR.

Sure there's no force involved, but does it really have to be? On the one hand, you're asked to leave. On the other hand, you have an offer to triple your wages.

You're missing the point, I'm asking why Carroll would have submitted a transfer request if he didn't want to go.

Because they didn't want him there! They wanted to sell him.

Guest neesy111

yep- how i see it.

And forfeit a 2.5-3.5M cut of the fee, no chance.

yep- how i see it.

Yes, but if they want to sell you you can just say "OK, I don't really want to go but I'll leave if you don't want me".

Submitting a transfer request is actively asking to be sold.

And, no, I'm not daft (well, not very).

Because they didn't want him there! They wanted to sell him.

FFS :lol:

If he wasn't wanted he could have reluctantly agreed to go.

Submitting a transfer request is saying "I ask to leave the club".

What Pardew says there stacks up tbh. :undecided:

all except the money being reinvested

does it say "reinvested" ? nope. it says ashley won't take the money out which is different to saying that it will be spent on players.

Carroll said: “I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that.

“He told me that they are now not going to give me a contract. That was as soon as the offer of £30m came in.

“So I asked why (I wasn’t getting a new contract) and he said his hands were tied.

“He said it wasn’t up to him. Then a £35m bid got accepted.

There seems to be a big gap in this story.

The fact they were in talks so soon after getting a new contract, suggests that Carroll wanted more money.

He wouldn't have just went "Fair enough" after Pardew said his hands were tied. That's why I'm inclined to believe Pardew.

Still comes down to him wanting more money to stay and the club being angered by his greed.

Him asking for a new contract after 2 months into a new one, doesn't exactly help his cause.

Yes and yes, and there's no way I believe he was in talks over another new contract before Liverpool made a bid.

Or this:

Looking at all sides of the story, the most plausible argument so far is that we rejected Liverpool's bid, Carroll said he wanted a higher wage, we said no, he took this as 'not wanting him' so he asks to leave, we say only if you hand in a transfer request, he says ok, signs, sealed and delivered.

Or this:

Looking at all sides of the story, the most plausible argument so far is that we rejected Liverpool's bid, Carroll said he wanted a higher wage, we said no, he took this as 'not wanting him' so he asks to leave, we say only if you hand in a transfer request, he says ok, signs, sealed and delivered.

Yep, that's the answer IMO.

Or this:

seems probable to me