West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The most depressing thing about all this is that the same thing will happen if any of our players start attracting major attention from more ambitious clubs. Our lot won't budge, so they'll be sold.

Basically we're going to be simply going from transfer window to transfer window almost hoping our players don't do too well.

Welcome to the 80's.

The most depressing thing about all this is that the same thing will happen if any of our players start attracting major attention from more ambitious clubs. Our lot won't budge, so they'll be sold.

Basically we're going to be simply going from transfer window to transfer window almost hoping our players don't do too well.

If the club weren't willing to compromise on our most valuable asset then the rest of them have no chance. This will result in a very high turnover of players, with the average ones happy to stay and the good ones sold.

Major point this.

If the club weren't willing to compromise on our most valuable asset then the rest of them have no chance. This will result in a very high turnover of players, with the average ones happy to stay and the good ones sold.

But it's the same with virtually every club sadly. I know this has been mentioned before but it's worth reiterating that in the last couple of years Everton have lost Rooney, Tottenham have lost Berbatov & Carrick, Liverpool now Torres, Arsenal have lost a load of players and same will happen again with Fabregas at some point, even the Mancs lost Ronaldo. Would you describe all of these clubs as selling clubs? The only two not listed are City and Chelsea, and City almost lost Tevez when he kicked up. These two are the only two, due to their owners, that have the power to ensure their best stay put simply through huge finances. So, do we start dreaming of a Qatari takeover? Then we have the opposite problem of having a bunch of mercenaries whose sole purpose on tyneside is picking up a pay cheque.

I think you summed it up best in the other thread, football is fucked whichever side of the fence you're on for very different reasons. Being a fan is a pretty fucking miserable lot with the game as it is right now.

Guest Brewcastle

But if other clubs offers players a payment a week, it won't help if the club try to keep the player. I prefer £35 mill. for Carroll and let him go, than having an unmotivated Carroll (that's a ticking bomb anyway). Nothing can turne it back now. Have to see the positive. If Leon Best and Nile Ranger get the backing they deserve, may Carroll is forgotten quite quickly  :blush:.

We'll never know what happened to be honest. I don't know who to believe out of Pardew and Carroll.

Funny how Pardew assures that the money will 'stay in the club'. So it fucking should, making assurances that it will be invested in the transfers market is another thing - clearly Pardew has avoided making that statement.

It depends how well we do in the coming years tbh.

The fact is, putting players on stupid contracts in the past is what contributed massively to our financial problems.  No player is bigger than club, and we've had much bigger players than Carroll far bigger.

We've also had many worse players on much bigger contracts, players much worse than Carroll on huge deals.

Yes that was part of a different regime and the size of the remuneration package those poor players were on almost brought the club down. However, there is nothing wrong with tying your very best players down on attractive contracts. Every other 'big' club does it.

Problem is Ashley tries to do everything on the cheap, Carroll should have been offered 80 grand a week to stay. Yes he is young and inexperienced but that is the going rate for a player of his potential. Putting him on 30 grand a week when other clubs were sniffing round is tantamount to putting a 'come and get me' sign on the back of his shirt. Which is perhaps what Ashley wanted.

I have no problem with rewarding the very best players. It's the dross on 40-50 grand a week that should have their contracts looked at.

Why are so many of you believing Pardew, ffs? He'll be saying what Ashley and Llambias have told him to - the man is a patsy and was brought in for that very reason. Joe Kinnear all over again, without the swearing.

Spot on BG -  I despair, I really do ; some of these guys will be as old as us before they get the message !

I kind of fear the same, until you can compete with the top 4 financially you'll always be worried that any player's startling progress will inevitably lead to him moving. That unfortunately is the reality of where we are today.

Fortunately we do have some very good players at the club, despite the current wailing we are not a one man team and if we had given in to his demands as soon as another club came after him, it would have had more serious and longer term implications for the morale of the team than his departure will have.

Its one thing if he was on a contract with say 18 months left then he had room to ask for more money and try to negotiate with the club but he was happy with what he got in his new 5 year deal so the club cannot allow him to demand more money to stay.

You do it once then you do it every time.

Yes it means we could lose our top players but there is always that risk, say City want Tiote and offer him £100k per week how are we meant to combat that ?

I say IF this is true the club did the right thing and fuck the greedy little cunt.

The fact is, putting players on stupid contracts in the past is what contributed massively to our financial problems.  No player is bigger than club, and we've had much bigger players than Carroll far bigger.

We've also had many worse players on much bigger contracts, players much worse than Carroll on huge deals.

Yes that was part of a different regime and the size of the remuneration package those poor players were on almost brought the club down. However, there is nothing wrong with tying your very best players down on attractive contracts. Every other 'big' club does it.

Problem is Ashley tries to do everything on the cheap, Carroll should have been offered 80 grand a week to stay. Yes he is young and inexperienced but that is the going rate for a player of his potential. Putting him on 30 grand a week when other clubs were sniffing round is tantamount to putting a 'come and get me' sign on the back of his shirt. Which is perhaps what Ashley wanted.

I have no problem with rewarding the very best players. It's the dross on 40-50 grand a week that should have their contracts looked at.

:thup:

Why are so many of you believing Pardew, ffs? He'll be saying what Ashley and Llambias have told him to - the man is a patsy and was brought in for that very reason. Joe Kinnear all over again, without the swearing.

Spot on BG -   I despair, I really do ; some of these guys will be as old as us before they get the message !

Apathy. Look at Jonny Hall.

Well Ashley's strategy of Divide and Conquer is working again with everyone bickering with each other.

Funny how all of our better players end up leaving under a cloud.

I am angered and sad that Caroll has gone but don't blame him for it as I am sure the way it panned out yesterday was all engineered by the club.

Anyway, I have hugely enjoyed watching this lad progress over the last 5 or so years - from watching him playing in the reserves at Kingston Park and standing out head and shoulders above others on the pitch - wondering whether it was just his height at that age that made him stand out and how would he be when others caught up with him.

One of the thrills for me in this last year has been to see one of our own local players make that step up and to look like he was going to be a seriously good player.  Fancy that - Newcastle actually developing a top player for a change - he even made his England debut whilst playing for us.  Maybe that's why this hurts - it is not like we have been churning them out over the years.

I looked forward to going to games to see if he would score, how he would play, would he do something better than previously and how would he perform against the top defenders.  I love Jose and Colo as well but you don't go to watch football to watch great defensive play but for goals and creative play.  Pick the one player out of the team that you would pay to see and that was Carroll for me.  The others are good players, a good team but you also want that something extra - the return of Ben Arfa can not come quick enough now.

And with regards to replacements for Carroll, I hope we are doing to do some serious scouting in the next few months.  Other clubs have really been struggling to find strikers.  Of course there may be more available in the Summer but even average strikers will want a bigger salary that Carroll was on and clubs will want a lot more money as they will think we are loaded.  Even Championship strikers are overpriced and Ashley is supposed to have regretted agreeing the the signing of Best.  If we are paying up front then that reduces our options even more.  To me that means looking abroad for players who are desperate to come to the Premier League and therein lies another risk.  We have had too many bad experiences with foreign strikers who have just not been good enough.

I wish Carroll well and hope he goes on to become the striker he can be.  I've always said it is up to him how good he becomes.  He is probably at a better club now to make that happen.

Good post this.

Don´t really blame Carroll to much, because I expect there´s a lot we don´t know about what happend yesterday. It´s been great fun to watch Carroll and many others progress over the last 18 months. We have improved very well since the relegation, and things were looking fine until yesterday. Might be a little bit naive, I don´t know, but I actually believe Carroll wanted to stay with Newcastle.

Do you think we will sign another player who will become England's CF in the next 10 years ???

Guest magpie99

Believe me, this entire scenario has not just cropped up in recent days. I have just returned from spending Christmas in Gateshead and was told then that Carroll would be sold for that exact amount in this window. Only difference was it was supposed to be to Chelsea.

To be honest, wasnt there talk a couple of weeks ago, even before Spurs made a bid, that the club was going to offer Carroll a new and improved contract to double his money to keep opposition clubs away.

If you read between the lines here, Carroll has obviously had his head turned with his agent telling him he can earn more, win more with anotrher club and there was an effort to force NUFC to meet his financial demands or he would go. Another thing concerns me. Why did Pardew come out and say immediately upon being appointed that theclub would not sell Andy Carroll. It seems to me that this has been brewing for some time and eventually, NUFC have held out long enough to up the ante to a level where the offer was ridiculously high.

Even Dalglish admitted they wanted to add Carroll to suarez and Torres so it leads me to believe that Liverpool and maybe not Spurs or Chelsea, was the team negotiating with the club for the entire month. Our only major failing in all of this is not to have got a replacement in. Smacks of smoke and mirrors.TBH

It's not as simple as that, madras. As I have said, you don't win a fight with the owner of the club. There's only one outcome.

I think it's actually likely that Ashley has some leverage over Carroll. What, I don't think we'll ever know, but let's say the club has covered for Carroll more than a few times when he gets himself into trouble (certainly within the realm of possibility) and Ashley is calling in those favors now. Or maybe it's more hostile and it's a 'say you put in a transfer request' or else scenario. If it's the latter then we should expect some mud slinging to start very soon.

But anyway, my point is that it's not as simple for Carroll to say 'I'm not doing it, your call'. There are a myriad of reasons that he could have been forced or nudged into it. No player stays when a bid is accepted. You've been told your surplus to requirements so you leave.

Now you might say that I'm giving Carroll lots of slack here but honestly, I'm only doing it because we know the way ashley operates. I don't know Carroll but we know Ashley, so my instinct said something fishy is going on last night and I think I was right.

I'll wait for the likes of the bonk and neesy to come and say that I have an imaginative mind or whatever but if the texts are real, I was right and I believe that when more information comes to light, I'll be fully vindicated in doubting the official story.

Im also not excusing Carroll, because in the end he still signed the contract with Liverpool. But it's similar to KK. Sure, he resigned. But he was almost forced. Of course he handed in his resignation so technically he resigned but he didn't really want to. With carroll, it's quite analogous. Of course he handed in a transfer request, left for Liverpool and had his wages tripled but he didnt really want to in the same way KK didn't want to resign.

That's my take of the past day's event and I think that more and more people will agree that this was what transpired.

I kind of fear the same, until you can compete with the top 4 financially you'll always be worried that any player's startling progress will inevitably lead to him moving. That unfortunately is the reality of where we are today.

Fortunately we do have some very good players at the club, despite the current wailing we are not a one man team and if we had given in to his demands as soon as another club came after him, it would have had more serious and longer term implications for the morale of the team than his departure will have.

..and are these 'very good players' going to stay at a club that sells its best young players when other clubs dangle big bucks in front of them ?? See what happens with Enrique in summer..

We rewarded him a pay rise in October/November because of his good start to the season, if he wasn't happy with the terms he should have said there and then. What would happen if gave him his new contract then Liverpool came back in the summer again along with Arsenal and Man City? Would we then have to give him more wages to keep him? Barton has just signed a new contract or is on the verge of, so we get an offer for him in the summer from a club offering more money shall we give him more wages along with another contract? Enrique is on verge of signing a new contract, if Man Utd or whoever put a bid in do we then offer Jose more money to stay? Where would it end? If you sign a contract, stick with it until you have earned a new one furthur down the line!  :facepalm: