West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ALAN Pardew today hit back at Andy Carroll’s claim he was forced out of St James’s Park.

And Newcastle United’s manager also insisted he has been promised that Carroll’s £35m-plus fee will be reinvested in the team by owner Mike Ashley.

Carroll last night completed a transfer deadline day move to Liverpool after handing in a written transfer request.

But the striker told friends in a series of texts he didn’t want to leave Newcastle – and had been forced out because the United “wanted the money”.

However, Pardew says Carroll – who signed a new long-term contract in October – approached him about a new contract after training, and handed a transfer request in when the club baulked at renegotiating his deal so soon after it was signed.

Asked about Carroll’s texts, Pardew told the Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave.

“I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that.

“Was this about football? That’s what you have to ask. I don’t think it was.”

Liverpool moved for Carroll after Chelsea hardened their interest in Fernando Torres, who last night joined Chelsea in a British-record £48m deal.

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

Pardew – who “guaranteed” Carroll wouldn’t be sold after succeeding Chris Hughton in December – was unable to bring in a replacement given the last-minute nature of the deal, which was confirmed less than an hour before transfer-window deadline.

With Wayne Routledge and Xisco having left on loan, and only Stephen Ireland having signed, Pardew’s squad is significantly weaker than it was a month ago.

However, Pardew has taken Ashley’s assurances that the fee will be spent on players in the summer, and beyond, at face value.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him,” added Pardew.

“One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

And asked about his repeated assurances that Carroll wouldn’t be sold, Pardew said: “We never put him up for sale – we fended off a bid from another Premiership club.

“But no club’s about one player. We’re absolutely gutted that he’s gone. It’s disappointing, but we’re not in a financial position like Liverpool.”

This is what i thought the whole time.

Carroll is basically stating that he was forced out as no footballer is going to turn down such a huge increase in wages. We made no attempt whatsoever to negotiate an increase in his, regardless of much he is now being valued & he asked to leave.

I still think we could have done better. We wanted the money.

If any player uses a transfer to get more money out of us, then it shows there real motivation.

If you instantly find out your worth the 8th highest transfer fee of all time I reckon your going to ask for a pay rise.

Only if you don't give two shits about the club you "love"

Why should anyone believe anyone over anything in football, pretty much everyone is dishonest in this industry and Carroll has quite a track record of being a bit of a pleb, he will try and cover his own back in this as will the club, we'll never really know the whole truth so it's pointless debating what really happened.

I'm glad we took the money tbh the lad is hugely overrated and we could buy 2-3 far superior players with that cash. It's even more ridiculous when you consider we bought Ben Arfa for a 7th of what we sold Carroll and he has a track record of being a better player.

Now we just need to reinvest and I think we will, we could quite easily spend 20m on a really decent striker in the summer and have a fair bit left over to get a couple Tiote-esque players (in terms of price not position) coming in as well, as long as we survive, which we will imo, then this will be a bigger step forward for the club.

Why should anyone believe anyone over anything in football, pretty much everyone is dishonest in this industry and Carroll has quite a track record of being a bit of a pleb, he will try and cover his own back in this as will the club, we'll never really know the whole truth so it's pointless debating what really happened.

I'm glad we took the money tbh the lad is hugely overrated and we could buy 2-3 far superior players with that cash. It's even more ridiculous when you consider we bought Ben Arfa for a 7th of what we sold Carroll and he has a track record of being a better player.

Now we just need to reinvest and I think we will, we could quite easily spend 20m on a really decent striker in the summer and have a fair bit left over to get a couple Tiote-esque players (in terms of price not position) coming in as well, as long as we survive, which we will imo, then this will be a bigger step forward for the club.

:thup:

Well Ashley's strategy of Divide and Conquer is working again with everyone bickering with each other.

Funny how all of our better players end up leaving under a cloud.

I am angered and sad that Caroll has gone but don't blame him for it as I am sure the way it panned out yesterday was all engineered by the club.

Anyway, I have hugely enjoyed watching this lad progress over the last 5 or so years - from watching him playing in the reserves at Kingston Park and standing out head and shoulders above others on the pitch - wondering whether it was just his height at that age that made him stand out and how would he be when others caught up with him.

One of the thrills for me in this last year has been to see one of our own local players make that step up and to look like he was going to be a seriously good player.  Fancy that - Newcastle actually developing a top player for a change - he even made his England debut whilst playing for us.  Maybe that's why this hurts - it is not like we have been churning them out over the years.

I looked forward to going to games to see if he would score, how he would play, would he do something better than previously and how would he perform against the top defenders.  I love Jose and Colo as well but you don't go to watch football to watch great defensive play but for goals and creative play.  Pick the one player out of the team that you would pay to see and that was Carroll for me.  The others are good players, a good team but you also want that something extra - the return of Ben Arfa can not come quick enough now.

And with regards to replacements for Carroll, I hope we are doing to do some serious scouting in the next few months.  Other clubs have really been struggling to find strikers.  Of course there may be more available in the Summer but even average strikers will want a bigger salary that Carroll was on and clubs will want a lot more money as they will think we are loaded.  Even Championship strikers are overpriced and Ashley is supposed to have regretted agreeing the the signing of Best.  If we are paying up front then that reduces our options even more.  To me that means looking abroad for players who are desperate to come to the Premier League and therein lies another risk.  We have had too many bad experiences with foreign strikers who have just not been good enough.

I wish Carroll well and hope he goes on to become the striker he can be.  I've always said it is up to him how good he becomes.  He is probably at a better club now to make that happen.

ALAN Pardew today hit back at Andy Carroll’s claim he was forced out of St James’s Park.

And Newcastle United’s manager also insisted he has been promised that Carroll’s £35m-plus fee will be reinvested in the team by owner Mike Ashley.

Carroll last night completed a transfer deadline day move to Liverpool after handing in a written transfer request.

But the striker told friends in a series of texts he didn’t want to leave Newcastle – and had been forced out because the United “wanted the money”.

However, Pardew says Carroll – who signed a new long-term contract in October – approached him about a new contract after training, and handed a transfer request in when the club baulked at renegotiating his deal so soon after it was signed.

Asked about Carroll’s texts, Pardew told the Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave.

“I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that.

Liverpool moved for Carroll after Chelsea hardened their interest in Fernando Torres, who last night joined Chelsea in a British-record £48m deal.

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

Pardew – who “guaranteed” Carroll wouldn’t be sold after succeeding Chris Hughton in December – was unable to bring in a replacement given the last-minute nature of the deal, which was confirmed less than an hour before transfer-window deadline.

With Wayne Routledge and Xisco having left on loan, and only Stephen Ireland having signed, Pardew’s squad is significantly weaker than it was a month ago.

However, Pardew has taken Ashley’s assurances that the fee will be spent on players in the summer, and beyond, at face value.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him,” added Pardew.

“One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

And asked about his repeated assurances that Carroll wouldn’t be sold, Pardew said: “We never put him up for sale – we fended off a bid from another Premiership club.

“But no club’s about one player. We’re absolutely gutted that he’s gone. It’s disappointing, but we’re not in a financial position like Liverpool.”

This is what i thought the whole time.

Carroll is basically stating that he was forced out as no footballer is going to turn down such a huge increase in wages. We made no attempt whatsoever to negotiate an increase in his, regardless of much he is now being valued & he asked to leave.

I still think we could have done better. We wanted the money.

If any player uses a transfer to get more money out of us, then it shows there real motivation.

If you instantly find out your worth the 8th highest transfer fee of all time I reckon your going to ask for a pay rise.

Only if you don't give two shits about the club you "love"

Andy Carroll loves Andy Carroll more than NUFC. What a shocker!!!

I'm glad we took the money tbh the lad is hugely overrated and we could buy 2-3 far superior players with that cash.

Bullshit tbh. With mr. Pardew as our man in charge of the buying we'll end up with Bothroyd, Beckham and SWP.

bollocks.

Pardew is just spouting shite in support of MA and DL as their yes man and puppet.

We'll not see that full £35m reinvested in the summer.  If we do somehow spunk £35m, expect to see extra brought in from further sales.

If he wasn't happy with his pay he should have asked for more before he signed it.

insane opinion, football is a sport and is heavily driven by market forces

in the space of a year carroll went from nothing, to doing well in the championship, to scoring and shining in the premiership (was handed a new deal due to this), to an england cap, market forces then drove his value up to the 8th highest of all time and he was replacing a striker being paid 175,000 a week at liverpool (allegedly)

he is an absolute cunt from a fans perspective for going for the money but fuck me man, you can't say he should have asked for more in november as he never knew this shit would come reigning down

I agree.  I'm not sure why everyone has to side with either Carroll or Ashley - can't we just say that they are all c**ts and should all take a portion of the blame and move on.  As long as we re-invest in the summer I'll be reasonably happy. 

What Pardew says there stacks up tbh. :undecided:

Sadly I agree Dave, the club's policy on transfers and contracts is hard-line and Ashley is immovable in his view that players should fall into line. He was never going to improve Carroll's contract again so soon after doing it the first time.

As much as I don't like the result, the policy is clear and at least they have some sort of plan for how the finances are managed.

He should've come back in the summer and ask for a pay rise, due to that his valuation has sky rocketed the last few months. Not do it on deadline day three month after he signed a new contract. It's just greedy.

What we don't know is what bullshit his agent talked into his head the last few days though.

I`m sure there are certain players at the club that feel they deserve more wages than Carroll

Who?

You missed the part where i mentioned Ben Arfa. How well has Carroll played without Barton or Tiote in the team. What use is his Goals if Enrique isn`t defending as well as he is ? How many goals has Nolan scored ( Not saying for 1 second he deserves but he could say that ).

What Pardew says there stacks up tbh. :undecided:

agree, it all tallys with the "i was KIND OF pushed out", love the way it says the whole lot will be put back into the club, yes 30million for the wage bill 5 for transfers  ;D

The respected former chairman Freddy Shepherd:

Former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has hit out at the man to whom he sold the club by claiming the club didn’t have to sell Andy Carroll to Liverpool for £35million.

The striker claims he was forced out of St James’ Park but Shepherd said: ‘I signed Andy as a lad and it’s a sad day for Newcastle.

‘When I was chairman Liverpool tried to buy Alan Shearer and I refused point blank. It can be done.

‘If Newcastle don’t need the money then why sell him? A few weeks ago he signed a new contract and said he wanted to stay with the club forever. They should have said that as he’s just signed a new deal he isn’t going.

‘The trouble these days is money gets in the way of everything.‘Having said that, good luck to Liverpool. They’ve done a great deal. Andy Carroll will be England’s centre-forward for the next 10 years.’

aye but what good is that on February the fucking 1st man?  As has been said a million times, you can't play a big pile of money up front.  We're not fucking safe from relegation yet.  Now we've got to play out the rest of the season with a collection of piss-weak second rate strikers.