West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Couple good transfer windows and people seem to think its ridiculous to be suspicious of these kinds of comments from the manager  ??? Have we forgotten everything that has happened in the past?

Im not saying there's definitely something fishy about it but I think its fair enough to wonder the motivation behind this. Still think its down to Ashley's ego...

People are speculating and reading into a few throw away quotes because it fits into their opinion that Carroll will not fit into the squad imo, they may be right on the latter part we'll have to see.

As for Ashley's ego, he isn't going to spend £10m+ just for a laugh. Think about what yous are suggesting man, Mike Ashley, one of the countries top buisnessmen and a lover of money, is sanctioning a £13m bid for a player we don't want or need just to 'get one over' on Liverpool and satisfy his own ego?

Well obviously he also thinks its a good deal to buy someone for 15m that he sold for 35m. He's a business man after all....

The fact he is a buisnessman is the very reason he won't think that.

Couple good transfer windows and people seem to think its ridiculous to be suspicious of these kinds of comments from the manager  ??? Have we forgotten everything that has happened in the past?

Im not saying there's definitely something fishy about it but I think its fair enough to wonder the motivation behind this. Still think its down to Ashley's ego...

People are speculating and reading into a few throw away quotes because it fits into their opinion that Carroll will not fit into the squad imo, they may be right on the latter part we'll have to see.

As for Ashley's ego, he isn't going to spend £10m+ just for a laugh. Think about what yous are suggesting man, Mike Ashley, one of the countries top buisnessmen and a lover of money, is sanctioning a £13m bid for a player we don't want or need just to 'get one over' on Liverpool and satisfy his own ego?

Well obviously he also thinks its a good deal to buy someone for 15m that he sold for 35m. He's a business man after all....

The fact he is a buisnessman is the very fact he won't think that.

Disagree. A business man would think that, someone with a good idea how to run a football club wouldnt.

But maybe he has learnt his lessons and its exactly what Pardew wants. Guess the De Jong bid would lean towards that too.

Is anyone actually insinuating that we are targeting Carroll because the owner wants him, and is going over the manager's head? :lol:

Why is that so hilarious? We already to know that signings aren't made by Pardew alone, but more of a team between Carr, Pards and Derek.

Exactly! Therefore I find it "hilarious" that people are now jumping to a conclusion whereby Pardew is being undermined.

Nobody has even said that outright have they? They're just strangely uncertain quotes IMO, he's normally more assured than that.

The fact he is a buisnessman is the very fact he won't think that.

Disagree. A business man would think that, someone with a good idea how to run a football club wouldnt.

Exactly what would a businessman's motivations be for thinking like that?

Unless he thinks he can make money on him or he will improve the squad he won't splash out on him.

Is anyone actually insinuating that we are targeting Carroll because the owner wants him, and is going over the manager's head? :lol:

Why is that so hilarious? We already to know that signings aren't made by Pardew alone, but more of a team between Carr, Pards and Derek.

Exactly! Therefore I find it "hilarious" that people are now jumping to a conclusion whereby Pardew is being undermined.

Nobody has even said that outright have they? They're just strangely uncertain quotes IMO, he's normally more assured than that.

When theres a transfer in the pipeline, Pardew never shows his full hand to the media. This is just another one of those cases.

This whole thing just fucking stinks tbh. Hope Liverpool demand £20m+ and we forget about the whole thing; doesn't even seem to me like the manager is completely up for the idea - i couldn't see why he would be anyway and i alluded to that the other day. He must've barely played under Pardew.

Not that I am suggesting that we should spend £12 million on Carroll, but out of interest, which strikers do people realistically think we could get for £12 million that would be better than Carroll?  Especially given that Carroll has a hint of 'proven record' in this country.

Again, not suggesting there aren't any around, but would be interested to hear names.

Not quite true that mate, I've said a few times that I'm open-minded about it.

I don't really want Carroll back just because I know we can do better. Nowt to do with the player himself, he's a fine, above average player with a distinct set of attibutes etc. But he's never ever ever going to take us to the next level. He's just not as good as Ben Arfa, Colo, Tiote, Cisse or Cabaye.

I haven't got an agenda, just don't think those quotes make pretty reading. As soon as I read the quotes it seemed weird, that's all I'm saying.

I don't really want Carroll back just because I know we can do better. Nowt to do with the player himself, he's a fine, above average player with a distinct set of attibutes etc. But he's never ever ever going to take us to the next level. He's just not as good as Ben Arfa, Colo, Tiote, Cisse or Cabaye.

I haven't got an ajenda, just don't think those quotes make pretty reading. As soon as I read the quotes it seemed weird, that's all I'm saying.

I'm with you on this one, Jim. :thup: They're not typical quotes.

Honestly 15 mil for Carroll and it'll be the steal of the century. We've practically just stolen 20 mil off liverpool. Carroll still has a good 10 years of being atop premierleague striker back in him. He just has to re-establish himself on his path of growing and improving which Liverpool has stopped. He thought he was already the complete package and ready to move on, he wasn't. Needs to come back and start improving again and we'll get a good 10 years out of a top striker or at least be able to sell on for profit.

Unless I can't see them the specific questions he was asked for the article are not printed. The director/corporate quotes could easily be explained by being asked the question whether the talks are continuing at a loan or loan then permanent or just permanent transfer

Although I do believe that's true, I would imagine that Carroll would be far more willing to sit on the bench than any other striker of his 'calibre'. As a 3rd choice striker he would be superb imo, and it gives us other options.

Regardless of whether the deal is Mike's or Pardew's idea, I have no doubt that he won't be signed without Pard's okay. Can't see Ashley shelling out £10m+ on a player his successful manager doesn't want, even to make Liverpool look stupid. It's just not in line with Mike's frugality. Andy won't be coming unless Pardew wants him, just imo.

I don't know if we'd ever be able to sell him for a profit at 15 million. He's clearly shown he's got issues with his confidence and can't face being away from home. I also doubt any club with more than 15 million to spend (the top 6) are ever going to want Andy Carroll anyway. Liverpool were fantastically stupid to spend that amount of cash on him, but they were desperate.

Regardless of whether the deal is Mike's or Pardew's idea, I have no doubt that he won't be signed without Pard's okay. Can't see Ashley shelling out £10m+ on a player his successful manager doesn't want, even to make Liverpool look stupid. It's just not in line with Mike's frugality. Andy won't be coming unless Pardew wants him, just imo.

I agree with this. Wether Pardew is proper up for it, or has just given the green light is a different matter though.

Pardew was hired as a Yes Man, don't forget.

"It’s simple, really. Sometimes transfers are done at corporate level."

Why say that? What does that mean?

the business people at the club would be dealing with it.

nothing suspicious in that, is there??

As opposed to what? :lol:

As opposed to what? :lol:

Ya' wha'? :dowie: