West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quite where anyone gets the idea that Ashley is a selling "chairman" is beyond me.  Which first teamers have we sold that (a) we wanted to keep or (b) the player wanted to stay?

Ok we sold Martins but he was no loss was he?  Viduka retired, and Owen ran his contract down.  Habib Beye was no loss either as he wanted to go. As did Duff.

All Ashley did was sell players who didn't fancy a spell in the Championship and who were all on massive wages.  Common sense to me, but most fans are so blinded by their bigoted hatred of Ashley that they cannot see that any chairman/owner would do the same, and would be critisized if they did not!

I have always thought that it was more by accident rather than design that we managed to retain so many players when we got relegated and that we would have sold more had Ashley not decided to sell the club and in the end they just ran out of time. 

Remember Ashley and Llambias basically abandoned the club for a couple of months whilst they concentrating on finding a buyer.  I remember Colo's agent saying there were clubs interested in him but there was no-one at the club to talk to and other agents said something similar.

Once the new season was upon them, the players that desperately wanted to go were shipped out but it is likely by that time, other potential buyers had turned elsewhere and were no longer interested.

If there was a bid for Carroll of £30 million we'd be mental to turn it down. Doubt there is anything in it though.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds like I'm disappointed there isn't. Obviously I hope we keep him at all costs but £30 million is a stupid fee that we couldn't turn down. The only issue would be whether the club sees that cash or whether Ashley takes it.

I need to stop starting this argument when I'm bored or people will think I'm genuinely on that side. Would've thought 'I feel he'd sell any player to get him off the wage bill and to make a profit. Therefore it's fact.' would've been a dead giveaway I was taking the piss tbh :lol:

I'm impressed :thup: A nice haul.

Guest Roger Kint

If the club agrees to sell him, does Carroll have to go? If he doesnt want to himself he shouldnt..

How often does that actually happen though?

Guest Roger Kint

If the club want to sell him of course he'd want to go. Why stay where you're not wanted, at a club going nowhere and showing f*** all ambition?

Exactly.

Guest Geordiesned

Pardew in today's Journal in an article primarily about Tiote:

“I’d say he isn’t quite ready yet (to move to a “bigger” club), not as much as Andy (Carroll) would be anyway,” he says. “He takes risks, because he’s so strong. He can hold two or three players off, he gets himself booked.

Jesus! Just shut up Pardew!!!

“I’d say he isn’t quite ready yet (to move to a “bigger” club), not as much as Andy (Carroll) would be anyway,” he says. “He takes risks, because he’s so strong. He can hold two or three players off, he gets himself booked.

I hate him so much when he's talking. I have problems finding words for that tbh. Hughton was so great.  :undecided:

if they sell him im gonna well pissed off.

You can not say the club will not sign big names but develop its own Talent- and then just sell any off that shows Potential, you cant have it Both ways Mike. It leaves you with no credibility whatsoever.

Ashleys a Twat.

I hate him so much when he's talking. I have problems finding words for that tbh. Hughton was so great.  :undecided:

The funny thing about Pardew is that most of the time I just forget that he even exists. When I think of the club now all I think of is "this group of lads" and sometimes it's like we don't even have a manager.

Even for 30m it would be mad to sell Carroll. How much does it cost to find a striker who can potentially score 20 prem goals? And why sign the likes of Ben Arfa if you're then going to then sell Carroll as the potential for carnage on the pitch between the two of them is awesome. It would go completely against Ashley's self professed plan of bringing through youth and building a team around them. I have no doubt Carroll will go at some point if he continues playing like he is but surely he and Newcastle would benefit from atleast a few more years together before he finally moves on.

This is Ashley however so logic doesn't count I guess............ :facepalm:

You can not say the club will not sign big names but develop its own Talent- and then just sell any off that shows Potential, you cant have it Both ways Mike. It leaves you with no credibility whatsoever.

Ashleys a Twat.

Ashley is a twat, I agree, but we aren't selling Carroll.

Guest Roger Kint

Am sure even a colossal arsehat like Ashley can see Carroll is a player whose talent and more importantly for him value is rising each window, complete madness to sell any time soon  :harry:

Ashleys a Twat.

Ashley is a twat, I agree, but we aren't selling Carroll.

hope your right- these are just the opening exchanges tho.