West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest guinness_fiend

Is he s**** our best striker man. There are two strikers in our squad with a much better goals to games ratio who are also better footballers.

Don't do it.

While he's in form he deserves to be in the team. I'll be honest though I don't see this form lasting.

Like Nolan a few months back, offers little to our team play but pops up with important goals. Just like Nolan though I can see the goals drying up again sooner or later and if that happens I hope others are given their chance.

When he's in the team away from home he's sluggish and it encourages a long ball game. People say he defends from the front but we need someone who will run the channels and provide an outlet when we're under pressure. We have 5 mediocre strikers all with different qualities but none seem willing to do that Bellamy-esque role and work the wide areas.

He's much better at bringing team mates into play than most give him credit for. I see that mainly as a strange myth which hes disproven every single time ive watched him play.

Ranger is much better at bringing others into the game than Carroll.

He's evidently worse at scoring goals though which is a fair achievement.

I never said otherwise. ;)

Typical Ranger fanboy response tbh.

Is he s**** our best striker man. There are two strikers in our squad with a much better goals to games ratio who are also better footballers.

I like Lovenkrands a lot but even in his better days, he doesn't do much more than a static Carroll. And I know which one of the two is easier to play against.

As for Ameobi, the guy is a horrible injury prone confidence player.. Like, I've said before, he might score the odd goal but he'll never form a remotely decent partnership with anybody, because he's usually too busy to play within and against himself. 10 years of complacency is enough - goodbye.

Even if he comes back and scores 20 goals till the end of the season, I'd still sell him at the first offer.. same goes for Nolan

Guest JamesyJazz

While he's in form he deserves to be in the team. I'll be honest though I don't see this form lasting.

Like Nolan a few months back, offers little to our team play but pops up with important goals. Just like Nolan though I can see the goals drying up again sooner or later and if that happens I hope others are given their chance.

When he's in the team away from home he's sluggish and it encourages a long ball game. People say he defends from the front but we need someone who will run the channels and provide an outlet when we're under pressure. We have 5 mediocre strikers all with different qualities but none seem willing to do that Bellamy-esque role and work the wide areas.

I reckon his confidence is growing by the week,I disagree with the 'sluggish'comment.One of the better fowards at chasing back when attack breaks down.Away from home he's been isolated up front but still manages to win majority of high balls to him,Lovenkrands has to play off the last defender more to take advantage of this.The more they play as a partnership the better the realationship and understanding will develop,the midfield in the past have been the sluggish element imo,but WR is giving us more options on the right.We need to give  Carroll some decent  service from well executed crosses and the goals will flow.

He's much better at bringing team mates into play than most give him credit for. I see that mainly as a strange myth which hes disproven every single time ive watched him play.

Ranger is much better at bringing others into the game than Carroll.

nope.....in that one game at home to leicester he did,and even that was just massivly picked up on because he was a young kid making his debut.

carroll is at the moment (not potentially) a much better player/choice/option up front than nile.

Guest Micktoon

Carroll is only as good as the service he receives.

I agree with this. Came over for my first game against coventry and was amazed at how poor Carroll is on the ground in open play. But as a striker he gets into the positions and is scoring regularly. So at home great but on the road with one up front I don't think he's the best option.

I agree with this. Came over for my first game against coventry and was amazed at how poor Carroll is on the ground in open play. But as a striker he gets into the positions and is scoring regularly. So at home great but on the road with one up front I don't think he's the best option.

Hes saved our ass away from home more than one occassion, Lovenkrands cant play lone striker.

Hes saved our ass away from home more than one occassion, Lovenkrands cant play lone striker.

once?

once?

Stoke away last season, Swansea Away this season are the only ones that come to mind at the moment, but him and Nolan have scored alot of our goals away from home this season, fair enough you can say because Hughton plays both of them upfront in the 4-4-1-1 formation away from home nearly all of the time, but hes our most effective striker on the road this season. Havent got the stats with me at the moment, Im not sure wether its him or Amoebi who has more goals from a ST position. I think Carroll is our best option as a striker when were playing away from home.

once?

Stoke away last season, Swansea Away this season are the only ones that come to mind at the moment, but him and Nolan have scored alot of our goals away from home this season, fair enough you can say because Hughton plays both of them upfront in the 4-4-1-1 formation away from home nearly all of the time, but hes our most effective striker on the road this season. Havent got the stats with me at the moment, Im not sure wether its him or Amoebi who has more goals from a ST position. I think Carroll is our best option as a striker when were playing away from home.

He's scored twice away, Swansea and one when we got beat at Blackpool.

once?

Twice away in the cup as well, who is our highest scoring striker away from home, is it Shola?

I'd rather play Carroll as he's more of a goal threat but I still think Ranger is better at bringing others into play.

That's because he is. Some people like to be sniffy about Ranger because of his fanboys on here but that's just as pointless as over-rating him in the first place.

once?

Twice away in the cup as well, who is our highest scoring striker away from home, is it Shola?

Has to be Nolan man.

I'd rather play Carroll as he's more of a goal threat but I still think Ranger is better at bringing others into play.

That's because he is. Some people like to be sniffy about Ranger because of his fanboys on here but that's just as pointless as over-rating him in the first place.

Carroll and Ranger almost have the qualities each other lack.  Carroll finds the back of the net but isn't that great at bringing others in to play.  Ranger isn't finding the back of the net much but seems to do well at holding it up and laying it on well.

Hope that both address their weak areas over time.  It would be nice for at least one of them to become a top forward for us.

Ranger does the basics ok but doesn't look like a striker to me at all.

What you mean? just that he's not playing like a striker enough and needs to learn more or that he is suited to another position/role possibly?

Ranger needs to be a lot more selfish, at times the way he looks up and picks people up is fucking amazing maturity and vision for someone so young but quality strikers need that bit of confidence/arrogance/downright selfishness about them.