West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I reckon I almost qualify as an ITK.

Was at a Liverpool talk in yesterday with Dalglish and Hansen - Dalglish said that the deal for Carroll was agreed on Sunday night.  Apparently we then upped the price on Monday after we saw all the press on it and on Torres.  So Liverpool upped their price for Torres from Chelsea.

LFC's owner has already confirmed the deal was done 24 hours before Ashley 'accepted' Carrolls request and reluctantly accepted LFC's bid. LFC's owner knew the price Chelsea would need to pay for Torres would be £15m more than NUFC wanted for Carroll so they could balance the books with the £6m they made off the other centre forward  they sold (who's name escapes me) Carroll and the bloke from Holland for torres.

Link? :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

if as he says there, Henry was 'surprised to receive a bid of £50m on the monday morning from chelsea' it must mean that Chelsea knew the Carroll price was £35m on the sunday night. As he says himself, Chelsea were aware the price Liverpool were willing to sell Torres at was the price of Carroll + £15m. Therefore, to have that surprising bid on monday morning of £50m means the price was known on sunday night and there was no 'raising' of the price later on monday by us.

seems strange that they would say the price of carroll +15mill and not just name a figure in which case they could have got more.

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle," Henry said. "Those prices could have been £35m [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20m [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35. It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost. They [Newcastle] made a hell of a deal. We felt the same way."

thats what seems strange, if we'd settled for 20million does that mean torres would have gone for 35mill ? i can't really buy that.

What i find strange is that the interview was cited as evidence the club accepted a price on sunday then upped it on monday when the interview implies that as impossible.

The alternative is that Chelsea made the bid of £50m independently on monday and Henry let a few people know this so that we could up our price to £35m. Which is ridiculous.

is it likely that chelsea really said to liverpool "whatever you pay for carroll we'll pay 15mill extra for torres" or more likely that the ball park figure for torres was known (i believe near guesses were in the british press that weekend) and we played on that to up the price ?

In which case Henry is talking absolute bollocks and there is no link to back up the original claim. Whatever that was.

good to see you back anyway, did you speak to ben arfa or just scare him with drunken nonsense ?

Scared him with drunken nonsense, started rambling on about the everton goal, asked how is leg was, he asked me wtf i was dojng there, got the photo then left him alone. Think he thought I was a club spy keeping tabs on him.

:thup:

Scared him with drunken nonsense, started rambling on about the everton goal, asked how is leg was, he asked me wtf i was dojng there, got the photo then left him alone. Think he thought I was a club spy keeping tabs on him.

:lol:  I think the fact that you could speak French would have told him that you were living over there, we're not well known for speakiing a secong language.  I've spoken to a couple of Germans in German and they were a bit shocked.

:lol:  I think the fact that you could speak French would have told him that you were living over there, we're not well known for speakiing a secong language.  I've spoken to a couple of Germans in German and they were a bit shocked.

You mean Erics and Jorman surely.

Surely with 30m in the bank confirmed, the club simply has to make a statement of intent by spending in the summer.

Ashley is under immense pressure to reinvest this money, from the media, the fans, the manager, and the playing squad. It's there for everyone to see. It simply can't just be swept under the rug.

I'm setting myself up for a huge disappointment aren't I? :lol:

Guest EastEndGeordie

Ashley really doesn't give two f***s about what anyone else thinks.

TBH he's like Cappello, just makes insane decisions yet nobody can get any reasons for this decisions from him.

I reckon I almost qualify as an ITK.

Was at a Liverpool talk in yesterday with Dalglish and Hansen - Dalglish said that the deal for Carroll was agreed on Sunday night.  Apparently we then upped the price on Monday after we saw all the press on it and on Torres.  So Liverpool upped their price for Torres from Chelsea.

LFC's owner has already confirmed the deal was done 24 hours before Ashley 'accepted' Carrolls request and reluctantly accepted LFC's bid. LFC's owner knew the price Chelsea would need to pay for Torres would be £15m more than NUFC wanted for Carroll so they could balance the books with the £6m they made off the other centre forward  they sold (who's name escapes me) Carroll and the bloke from Holland for torres.

Link? :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

if as he says there, Henry was 'surprised to receive a bid of £50m on the monday morning from chelsea' it must mean that Chelsea knew the Carroll price was £35m on the sunday night. As he says himself, Chelsea were aware the price Liverpool were willing to sell Torres at was the price of Carroll + £15m. Therefore, to have that surprising bid on monday morning of £50m means the price was known on sunday night and there was no 'raising' of the price later on monday by us.

seems strange that they would say the price of carroll +15mill and not just name a figure in which case they could have got more.

"The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle," Henry said. "Those prices could have been £35m [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20m [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35. It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost. They [Newcastle] made a hell of a deal. We felt the same way."

thats what seems strange, if we'd settled for 20million does that mean torres would have gone for 35mill ? i can't really buy that.

What i find strange is that the interview was cited as evidence the club accepted a price on sunday then upped it on monday when the interview implies that as impossible.

The alternative is that Chelsea made the bid of £50m independently on monday and Henry let a few people know this so that we could up our price to £35m. Which is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were strange goings on.  The Spurs forum went into meltdown when Spurs bid £23m on deadline day, the majority were against signing him, we'd play too direct, younger version of Crouch etc etc.  One ITK said something like relax guys, won't happen,  Levy's helping hand to Ashley to kick start some some movement. 

A few people since have wondered why we weren't really linked with Carroll, we bid £23m out of the blue, got rejected, and then after that ......... nothing.  Redknapp always does roundabout tapping up at press conferences of assorted players followed by a bid a few days later, that never happened with Carroll. 

Guest neesy111

Didn't Spurs bid for every striker under the sun on deadline day? There were reports in Spain of rejected bids for Forlán and Rossi.

Yes they did.

Didn't Spurs bid for every striker under the sun on deadline day? There were reports in Spain of rejected bids for Forlán and Rossi.

.........  and Llorente  and Aguerro from Spain and Eto'o from Italy, embarrassing to have so many panic bids going.  We knew Keane would be gone and Pav was earmarked to go back to Russia but he stayed when no one was sold.  Losing Keane was no great loss without a replacement because he wasn't playing for Spurs anyway.

Baffles me why Spurs wait til the last day EVERY WINDOW, it's like 'Arry just wants to see his name on the back pages for pulling off some Houdini like signing in the dying seconds.

It's not Harry, it's Levy.  Last minute deals have been the norm well before Redknapp joined.

Fucking hell :lol:

Liverpool were really desperate to get him!

They panicked in a manner reminiscent of our recruitment policy under Souness. Can only hope it works out in the same dreadful way.

Just realised he'll now appear for Liverpool in FIFA 2012, with a much more detailed face then he would ever have had for Newcastle.  :rant:

Will make slide tackling him off the ball with Tiote all the more satisfying :)