West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The continuing obsession with him is a bit baffling to me. At points last night, the Other Games Thread looked like the front page of threads on RTG after our 6-0 Villa win (and their 1-0 loss to West Brom). I know it was one of the few games being played at the time, but it's more the type of posts. I thought it would have abated by now is all, I suppose.

100% agree.

I find it also really peculiar that immediately after yesterdays match, many users on this forum would seek out Liverpool message boards to 'see what they think of Carroll now'.  His NUFC career is over, we should all move on.

Why cant people be curious like? Why cant people keep an eye on former pleyers? Jesus. There has to be a right and a wrong doesnt there? Can people not be free to do what they want?

Im not obsessed with Carroll, but I found it interesting to see his new fans think. Its not that i havent moved on, its because im a football fan. The amount of rights and wrongs and should and shouldnt's around here at times is really tedious.

Guest Howaythetoon

For £35m I'd want a player capable of scoring 30 goals a season, someone capable of great skill and ability, not some big akward Geordie striker with a limited game outside of heading and sheer phsyical strength with a weak right foot and lack of pace. Carroll is an average footballer, a limited striker and an average goalscorer. His strength is his strength and heading but he lacks the footballing  nous to utilise both to be truly effective, especially at the levels he has been bought to perform at- Europe. He will fall victim to referees and smart defenders at that level and further afield internationally for England which will in turn force him to see red at times making him a liability. I can see him getting a few red cards at that level lashing out at smart defenders are going berserk with officials who will award a fould against him more often than he will be fouled against. Going back to the footballing nous, inside the box he will be very dangerous in the air but outside he lacks the brain to direct the ball into space, into others in the many ways required of a genuine target man. He's doesn't have the ability to deftly flick a ball on for example in the way a Shearer did or a Drogba does. He's more Shola than Sir Les in that respect. His genuine lack of pace will make it tough for him to get into a game when his team are playing poorly or just not firing on all cylanders. Also because of his height, strength and ability in the air, it will be far easier for his team-mates to just launch it long which mmay work against your lesser sides but your top sides and top defenders will mop it up all day long. In short they have bought a stronger, younger but less skilful and intelligent Geordie Peter Crouch. For 35 fucking million quid :lol:

He'll do well for them in the same way he was doing well for us but he'll not do Robbie Fowler well, Michael Owen well or Fernando Torress well which a club like Liverpool need from their 'main man'.

For £35m I'd want a player capable of scoring 30 goals a season, someone capable of great skill and ability, not some big akward Geordie striker with a limited game outside of heading and sheer phsyical strength with a weak right foot and lack of pace. Carroll is an average footballer, a limited striker and an average goalscorer. His strength is his strength and heading but he lacks the footballing  nous to utilise both to be truly effective, especially at the levels he has been bought to perform at- Europe. He will fall victim to referees and smart defenders at that level and further afield internationally for England which will in turn force him to see red at times making him a liability. I can see him getting a few red cards at that level lashing out at smart defenders are going berserk with officials who will award a fould against him more often than he will be fouled against. Going back to the footballing nous, inside the box he will be very dangerous in the air but outside he lacks the brain to direct the ball into space, into others in the many ways required of a genuine target man. He's doesn't have the ability to deftly flick a ball on for example in the way a Shearer did or a Drogba does. He's more Shola than Sir Les in that respect. His genuine lack of pace will make it tough for him to get into a game when his team are playing poorly or just not firing on all cylanders. Also because of his height, strength and ability in the air, it will be far easier for his team-mates to just launch it long which mmay work against your lesser sides but your top sides and top defenders will mop it up all day long. In short they have bought a stronger, younger but less skilful and intelligent Geordie Peter Crouch. For 35 fucking million quid :lol:

He'll do well for them in the same way he was doing well for us but he'll not do Robbie Fowler well, Michael Owen well or Fernando Torress well which a club like Liverpool need from their 'main man'.

Which make of Crystal Ball you using?

IF we spend the money well we will be better next season, and playing a more entertaining game with some pace and flair hopefully.

You're probably right, but seeing how expertly Carroll was utilised particularly by Barton was pretty entertaining to be fair.

Guest Heneage

Not a cat in hell's chance is he a £35m striker. He's a very good £18-£22m rated one imo, we shafted them out of a good £12-15m.

Half of that was because he's English other half is because it was deadline day.

Guest toonarmymia

Not a cat in hell's chance is he a £35m striker. He's a very good £18-£22m rated one imo, we shafted them out of a good £12-15m.

Half of that was because he's English other half is because it was deadline day.

motto here: dont buy on deadline day / january...

if we spent 15-25 mil of this i'd be both surprised and happy

Liverpool for a start.

Not really. All Liverpool fans I've spoken to have said it's way too much money.

End of the day his price was due to deadline day, his age, nationality, sale of Torres and Fat Ash knowing he had Liverpool over a barrel with money in their pocket. If Fat Ash wanted to sell so badly he would have accepted the £20m bids. But he didn't, he only accepted it when it got to £35m. So end of the day, it's pointless ranting on and on about him not being a £35m striker when his sale had little to do with him displaying £35m worth of talent so far.

Liverpool for a start.

Not really. All Liverpool fans I've spoken to have said it's way too much money.

End of the day his price was due to deadline day, his age, nationality, sale of Torres and Fat Ash knowing he had Liverpool over a barrel with money in their pocket. If Fat Ash wanted to sell so badly he would have accepted the £20m bids. But he didn't, he only accepted it when it got to £35m. So end of the day, it's pointless ranting on and on about him not being a £35m striker when his sale had little to do with him displaying £35m worth of talent so far.

For what it's worth I agree with you 100% which is why we couldn't turn that bid down.

Our only symbol for hope in the future was a greasy charver who has already had three altercations with the law in 1.5 seasons in the first team?

Man United's star player is an idiotic, ogre-like charver who likes boning grannies.

Carroll has been attracting a lot of attention this season, and there's a lot of interest in how he progresses after this move. The interest isn't confined to the two clubs by any means. It was noticeable last night that the commentator's voice went up by 50 decibels every time Carroll went near the ball.

The national media would love to see a Liverpool / Dalglish revival, if only because they don't like Fergie. The story they want is for AC to be the new sensation who's going to get Liverpool and England back on the trophy hunt. Newcastle screwing up again is another theme that they love to get their teeth into.

There's been a certain amount of hype based on the suddenness of his arrival to national attention. Yes he's good and should get better, but his lack of pace and mobility is always going to limit how he can be used.

So I think it's okay for us to take this interest. We saw him first.

A large section of the national press - particularly the Sunday press - love Fergie. He briefs them regularly.

Liverpool are already having the same problem we have had with Carroll in the team, and that is everyone is tempted to hoof the ball long and look for knockdowns. The Dalglish destruction of Liverpool's passing game has begun.

Liverpool haven't had a "passing game" for ages tbf.

Is that so? How did Torres score so many goals then? Was he in the right place to receive the knock-downs from Stevie Gerrard with whom he combined so successfully?

Liverpool are already having the same problem we have had with Carroll in the team, and that is everyone is tempted to hoof the ball long and look for knockdowns. The Dalglish destruction of Liverpool's passing game has begun.

Liverpool haven't had a "passing game" for ages tbf.

Is that so? How did Torres score so many goals then? Was he in the right place to receive the knock-downs from Stevie Gerrard with whom he combined so successfully?

I forgot how prolific Torres was under Hodgson.

Perhaps "ages" was an exaggeration, but it was certainly destroyed before Kenny arrived.

Guest neesy111

Liverpool haven't been a good passing side since Alonso left.

Totally agree. While the fucking scousers will say Torres was the heart beat of the team.  This guy was their most important player tbh.

Our only symbol for hope in the future was a greasy charver who has already had three altercations with the law in 1.5 seasons in the first team?

Man United's star player is an idiotic, ogre-like charver who likes boning grannies.

No Man Utd fan thinks Rooney is the saviour and all hope is lost without him... Mainly cos they've actually got a team of players rather than our squad of shite.... Anyway, the point being that without Rooney, Man Utd would live on, and their fans would move on. Ours should do the same. I understand it's not so easy with our owner/squad, but it's tough luck. Just don't go acting like Andy was something he wasn't. He has proved very little, and is clearly a cunt. No great loss in the long run.

Guest neesy111

No Man Utd fan thinks Rooney is the saviour and all hope is lost without him... Mainly cos they've actually got a team of players rather than our squad of shite.... Anyway, the point being that without Rooney, Man Utd would live on, and their fans would move on. Ours should do the same. I understand it's not so easy with our owner/squad, but it's tough luck. Just don't go acting like Andy was something he wasn't. He has proved very little, and is clearly a cunt. No great loss in the long run.

ManUSA I think would do better without Rooney tbh.  Berbatov is a better overall player imo.