West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's fairly easy to understand if you understand that footballers are human beings and have the mind of a human being, rather than some sort of computer program with a yes or no option to choose from.

If im playing for my hometown club, with 50,000 people that adore me, knowing im the main man at my hometown club, living the dream so to speak, the fact an owner who no one likes anyway would rather get 35million for me than want me to stay, it really wouldnt bother me.

Like I say if the rest of the players/fans wanted me gone etc I could understand it, but the fact he'd signed a 5 year deal means they couldnt do anything. Is Pardew going to suddenly stop playing him? Imagine the backlash, everyone would be behind Carroll, he wanted the money simple as, he's a liar, and the fact people can't see that is a shame.

Least the away end let him know Sunday what the general consensus is of him.

Can anyone name a player who has turned down a move to a better club for a huge increase in salary because the supporters and players want him to stay whilst the board tell him they want the money being offered?  We haven't sold him for £10m - we got a phenomenal amount of money for him and far more than most believe he is worth.  It is not like he has really held the club to ransom  - I know he asked for an improved contract -  but that did not result in the club being forced to accept a low offer.  The club did not have to sell him but they wanted to do so as they knew they would not get as much money for him a few months later.

This is what happens and I think we are being overly romantic to think that because he is a Geordie lad, he should choose the club over everything else.  A lot of us move away because of better career prospects even though we would rather stay in the area.

I am upset and still pretty emotional that Carroll left but I think the abuse being directed to him now is over the top and people should move on.  Local lads have always moved on when better clubs came calling.  And Shearer is a different case because he came when the club was challenging for things and with a contract that guaranteed that he would always be the top paid player. 

Hopefully, we will get some decent replacements in (not convinced though) and that might allow us then to move on.

If im playing for my hometown club, with 50,000 people that adore me, knowing im the main man at my hometown club, living the dream so to speak, the fact an owner who no one likes anyway would rather get 35million for me than want me to stay, it really wouldnt bother me.

Like I say if the rest of the players/fans wanted me gone etc I could understand it, but the fact he'd signed a 5 year deal means they couldnt do anything. Is Pardew going to suddenly stop playing him? Imagine the backlash, everyone would be behind Carroll, he wanted the money simple as, he's a liar, and the fact people can't see that is a shame.

Have you ever worked anywhere where it was clear your boss didn't want you there?

Can anyone name a player who has turned down a move to a better club for a huge increase in salary because the supporters and players want him to stay whilst the board tell him they want the money being offered?  We haven't sold him for £10m - we got a phenomenal amount of money for him and far more than most believe he is worth.  It is not like he has really held the club to ransom  - I know he asked for an improved contract -  but that did not result in the club being forced to accept a low offer.  The club did not have to sell him but they wanted to do so as they knew they would not get as much money for him a few months later.

This is what happens and I think we are being overly romantic to think that because he is a Geordie lad, he should choose the club over everything else.  A lot of us move away because of better career prospects even though we would rather stay in the area.

I am upset and still pretty emotional that Carroll left but I think the abuse being directed to him now is over the top and people should move on.  Local lads have always moved on when better clubs came calling.  And Shearer is a different case because he came when the club was challenging for things and with a contract that guaranteed that he would always be the top paid player. 

Hopefully, we will get some decent replacements in (not convinced though) and that might allow us then to move on.

Why sign a 5 year contract then? Why, in December, say you wanted to end your career and Newcastle and become a legend here? Thats the main issue, if he hadnt of said/done those things, I dont think he'd get the criticism he did.

I wish I had 30,000 a week, poor lad, must have been such a struggle.

I doubt any player in recent football history has turned down a move that didn't involve a pay cut once the club has told him an offer has been accepted for him. Think Les Ferdinand refusing to turn round halfway to London, despite the fact he wanted to stay at NUFC.

Have you ever worked anywhere where it was clear your boss didn't want you there?

Most of them probably haha.

Difference is, I'd see the boss on a daily basis, so if that was the case, it'd be very uncomfortable, how many times would Carroll even see Ashley? Hardly ever I'd of thought. He'd of still been picked, the fans would still adore him, as would his team mates, the owner not wanting him wouldnt really mean much.

Most of them probably haha.

Difference is, I'd see the boss on a daily basis, so if that was the case, it'd be very uncomfortable, how many times would Carroll even see Ashley? Hardly ever I'd of thought. He'd of still been picked, the fans would still adore him, as would his team mates, the owner not wanting him wouldnt really mean much.

Pardew was his boss.

Pardew would of wanted him though, theres no guarantee he'll get the 35 million anyway. He might have preferred the 35 million, but I doubt he'd be treating Carroll like a twat if he didnt get it.

The rest of the squad would support Carroll anyway.

Guest toonlass

Pardew didn't want rid of him! Anyone who believes that is certifiable. Had Carroll refused to go and had dug his heels in then there was nothing Ashley could have done. He wouldn't have been able to keep him out of the squad. There is no way he could have done that! Carroll had to agree to leave at the very least, more likely on the advice of his agent he went and asked for more money when Liverpool's interest was made known to him, and when Ashley refused to break the new wage structure he handed in the transfer request.

I find this thread rather embarasing now.  Too many posters acting like stupid children. The immaturity of the comments is just astounding.

Quite frankly if this thread is a demo of the lvl a of maturity and intelligence of the ave toon fan, then i dont blame carroll for turning his back.  HEs got a life, not his fault others cant handle that fact.

I would have thought that his antics in the bigg market were an indication to his character(his drunken antics, not the court cases).....hes never been a man of any moral character.  HE doesnt have the moral fibre of shearer/milburn.

I doubt any player in recent football history has turned down a move that didn't involve a pay cut once the club has told him an offer has been accepted for him. Think Les Ferdinand refusing to turn round halfway to London, despite the fact he wanted to stay at NUFC.

come on man wullie, if this were put to you "we've agreed a fee for you , we want you to go but want you to put a transfer request in first", you would reply "fuck off". he handed in the request for one reason alone, he wanted to go. you say elsewhere if it were made clear he wasn't wanted (no evidence of this mind) but i couldn't see pardew dropping him or making the rest of the team ignore him so it doesn't really matter what the owner wants in that respect, he can't force any player out, especially not one in carrolls position.

Pardew didn't want rid of him! Anyone who believes that is certifiable. Had Carroll refused to go and had dug his heels in then there was nothing Ashley could have done. He wouldn't have been able to keep him out of the squad. There is no way he could have done that! Carroll had to agree to leave at the very least, more likely on the advice of his agent he went and asked for more money when Liverpool's interest was made known to him, and when Ashley refused to break the new wage structure he handed in the transfer request.

:thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

I don't think anyone gives a toss what he says tbh.

He is a puppet, end of!