West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Vinkent

What surprises me is that Capello doesn't seem to want to build the England squad around him and Rooney. I'd reckon if they got a good partnership going they'd be damn difficult to stop. We've put up with Heskey for so many years so why not try it Fabio???

England should probably stop trying to build teams around individuals since they always seem to get injured around the time of major competitions leading to us rushing unfit players back to the team then wondering why they didn't perform as expected.

Very fair point but watching internationals I just get the same feeling with England as NUFC. We always have a plan to get the ball into midfield and hold it but once we get it into the final 1/3 of the pitch it's like all the players' minds just blank and start thinking "Oh god what do we do? WHAT DO WE DO?!" Always feels like they're just hoping something will work out right.

What surprises me is that Capello doesn't seem to want to build the England squad around him and Rooney. I'd reckon if they got a good partnership going they'd be damn difficult to stop. We've put up with Heskey for so many years so why not try it Fabio???

Probably because Capello doesn't want to build a team that plays to Carroll's strengths, it: long ball.  He wants to play a fluid game that teams like Man U and Barca play.  They don't use target men because they'd rather keep possession and move the ball around instead of just lumping it up to Carroll and hoping Nolan gets on the end of his knock downs.  Don't blame him to be honest.

Guest Rainforest

England should probably stop trying to build teams around individuals since they always seem to get injured around the time of major competitions leading to us rushing unfit players back to the team then wondering why they didn't perform as expected.

Very fair point but watching internationals I just get the same feeling with England as NUFC. We always have a plan to get the ball into midfield and hold it but once we get it into the final 1/3 of the pitch it's like all the players' minds just blank and start thinking "Oh god what do we do? WHAT DO WE DO?!" Always feels like they're just hoping something will work out right.

This is what happened to chelsea halfway through last season, for some reason. They had no creativity whatsoeverwhen approaching the penalty area.

so so true :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I've never quite rated the lad anything other than average but my god he looks really poor for Liverpool from what I've seen of him. I work in Liverpool a lot and to a man almost no Reds fan seems happy with him or the signing. They console themselves by saying "ah well, Chelsea paid for him not us", or that he's still young and 'King Kenny' will turn him into a top striker like he did with Shearer one day (aye right!), but deep down they are not liking him as a player, his performances and what happens to their team when he plays and a good number would cut their loses. Apparently he hasn't settled either. Carroll for me doesn't have the skill, technqiue, mobility and footballing nous to play in a passing team. He's a target man, who needs long balls and crosses and plenty of them, from wide and free-kicks and corners, for him to best succeed. Liverpool could play that game, but they won't get very far with it as a team, although Carroll will obviously do well. I can see him being a hugely expensive sub or impact player who will get peddled in a few years time.

is carroll just not a more aggressive version of crouch?

he could unquestionably be a great striker but right now it's massively in the balance and in kenny's hands

unfortunately for carroll they signed suarez who is showing them there's another way to play

personallyi hope he becomes an alcy or gets locked up, fuck him, unless he issues an unequivocal apology and buys out his contract to return to the toon!! :troll:

Guest Howaythetoon

Crouch has good technique, decent footballing nous and skill. he lacks pace and aggression and strength but he's a decent footballer (or was), he used to be quite mobile too.

Crouch has good technique, decent footballing nous and skill. he lacks pace and aggression and strength but he's a decent footballer (or was), he used to be quite mobile too.

so what is carroll missing from the above?  if you assume his great 6 months with was what he's capable of - he had all that and the strength and aggression

that's why liverpool bought him

I'd rather try Sturridge and Rooney.

I've never quite rated the lad anything other than average but my god he looks really poor for Liverpool from what I've seen of him. I work in Liverpool a lot and to a man almost no Reds fan seems happy with him or the signing. They console themselves by saying "ah well, Chelsea paid for him not us", or that he's still young and 'King Kenny' will turn him into a top striker like he did with Shearer one day (aye right!), but deep down they are not liking him as a player, his performances and what happens to their team when he plays and a good number would cut their loses. Apparently he hasn't settled either. Carroll for me doesn't have the skill, technqiue, mobility and footballing nous to play in a passing team. He's a target man, who needs long balls and crosses and plenty of them, from wide and free-kicks and corners, for him to best succeed. Liverpool could play that game, but they won't get very far with it as a team, although Carroll will obviously do well. I can see him being a hugely expensive sub or impact player who will get peddled in a few years time.

Which is one of the major reasons I was happy to see us sell Nolan, as though he did well as an individual, as a team we could never move forward while he was in our midfield because of the football we would end up playing to accommodate him. Carroll is a good striker but not for a team which is built around a passing game.

Guest Randy Savage

Last time I saw him was at the SOL for Liverpool and he was utter garbage.

Conversely, he was excellent when you played us in that game that has now been erased from my memory.

Guest Rainforest

Even though they are alike physically ( well tall at least), Crouch and Carroll are pretty much opposites if you ask me. Crouch is excellent at heading the ball, but cant jump. He is almost higher up when he doesnt jump because he "crouches" when he jumps up, this gets him cards often in international games, they are stricter on back-climbing than in the premier league.vCarroll on the other hand jumps sky high but is a bit more random as to where the ball ends up directionwise. Crouch has excellent technique for his size, Carroll.. well. 

Even giving him the benefit of a transition period it must be quite worrying for them as I can't recall a good game he's played for the dippers whereas I can't recall him having a bad one for us.

Wouldn't write him off yet but that fee is starting to look even more ridiculous than it did in January.

Even giving him the benefit of a transition period it must be quite worrying for them as I can't recall a good game he's played for the dippers whereas I can't recall him having a bad one for us.

Wouldn't write him off yet but that fee is starting to look even more ridiculous than it did in January.

tbf he played well against City where he got his 2 league goals, just doesn't fit into what Dalglish is trying to do at Liverpool and reeks of panic signing

As daft as this sounds/at the risk of getting an eggy face, I reckon Leon Best, who imo is s***, would score more goals than Carroll in the same team over the course of an entire season - be that for us or Liverpool. It basically boils down to the difference between a crap "footballer" who knows how to get into goalscoring positions (and tuck them away), and a mobile battering ram with a wild-shooting left foot who seemingly doesn't. Carroll has to fight tooth and nail to get a decent half-chance inside the box, whereas Best seems to sleepwalk into 1-2 clear cut chances practically every game.

I don't think Carroll is all that special, he hit a purple patch, had a good/excellent 6 months. Whether he can replicate that form and be a superstar in the future is still debatable. If we had replaced him with a decent striker, he would be soon forgotten. But since we didn't people, are not pining for him to come back. I won't have him back unless its below 10M. For above 10M, we can find better strikers who have proven themselves beyond 6 months.

:haha:

tbf he played well against City where he got his 2 league goals, just doesn't fit into what Dalglish is trying to do at Liverpool and reeks of panic signing

There's a bit of a flavour-of-the-month feel to a few of Liverpool's signings. Carroll, Henderson, and Adam were getting a lot of media attention last season. This defender Coates apparently had a very good Copa America and you have to wonder whether he's been signed on the strength of that. Jose was a bargain at £5m, but tbh I don't think he's quite as good as his media profile suggested last season.

They hit on a gem in Suarez, and he's improved them no end though.

Liverpool just went and signed everyone, particularly people who scored against them last season.

Signings like Suarez and Enrique were top notch, but I think Carroll will never live up to the price tag.  Not while they continue with that style of football (ie. a decent one).

Guest Rainforest

As daft as this sounds/at the risk of getting an eggy face, I reckon Leon Best, who imo is s***, would score more goals than Carroll in the same team over the course of an entire season - be that for us or Liverpool. It basically boils down to the difference between a crap "footballer" who knows how to get into goalscoring positions (and tuck them away), and a mobile battering ram with a wild-shooting left foot who seemingly doesn't. Carroll has to fight tooth and nail to get a decent half-chance inside the box, whereas Best seems to sleepwalk into 1-2 clear cut chances practically every game.

A bold statement, and one that is likely to get you skinned alive and roasted over a slow fire in here. I applaud the balls!

As to whether I agree, well... Carroll hammered in 11-12 goals by december, remains to be seen if Best can do the same.

There is something about Carroll though,  he has this "greatness" about him already - at 20  - and his goals are always spectacular even when they arent.

I just had this epic feeling every time Carroll scored, a sense of witnessing history in the making, a legend in the early mould. Cant say I feel anything close to resembling that with Best, but who knows , hes obviously a fox in the box.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Some people here really need to watch our season review! Carroll was utterly class for us & he's not as utterly incapable of ''proper football'' as many on here suggest.

Regardless of how his move at Liverpool works out, Carroll was utterly class for us and that's where the price tag came from.

In addition to this I don't think Carroll will ever play for Newcastle again - especially while the fat man is in charge!

Would I take Carroll back? Unlikely tbh, I still feel betrayed by him leaving like. I don't for one second believe that he was forced out (whatever Steve Wraith says is a load of b*llocks imo). Like Cajun said, both Carroll and the board are to blame for his departure so for him to come back (within the next couple of years) is kinda taking the p*ss.

It's a choice of who you believe, the board or Andy Carroll, only one version of events is true.

The hearing declared that the club had admitted to 'repeatedly and intentionally misleading the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United', while the evidence given by owner Mike Ashley and his fellow executives over the course of the two-week hearing was described at one point in the verdict as 'profoundly unsatisfactory'.

How any one can believe the board is beyond me.

http://nufc-ashlies.blogspot.com/

Carroll is hardly blameless in his departure. Remember that he signed a new contract a few months prior to him leaving. From what I gather, his new contract was hardly the minimum wage and was very reasonable, it seems to me that Carroll's head was swung by the money on offer at Liverpool.

The board of course aren't blameless either. They sold a player who would have been the core of the team in the future (building a team around him and all that) and was also a potential Newcastle legend in the making.

Both parties were satisfied, end of.

Hopefully, he wont do that well at Pool and we can get him back at less than what we paid.  Wages likely to be a problem however.

Indeed.

Regarding your second paragraph, hf he ever does come back, hope he has a nice long apology prepared.

I remember Beardsley waving to the Kop and was mad at the time when he left. All was forgiven when he came back though.

Boy, what a player.

I don't remember that, on account I wasn't born when he first left. But guess I could forgive Carroll if he ever does come back. Like I've said, an apology or an admission that he was wrong to move to Liverpool would be fine with me - at which point, I could then forgive and forget.

I really enjoyed watching him develop over the second part of the Championship season and push on again in the Premier League.  It had been a long time since I had seen one of our players improve so quickly.

Weird how it seems so hard for most people to let go and move on.

There's a bit of a flavour-of-the-month feel to a few of Liverpool's signings. Carroll, Henderson, and Adam were getting a lot of media attention last season. This defender Coates apparently had a very good Copa America and you have to wonder whether he's been signed on the strength of that. Jose was a bargain at £5m, but tbh I don't think he's quite as good as his media profile suggested last season.

They hit on a gem in Suarez, and he's improved them no end though.

It's got a bit more substance to it than that. Downing, Henderson and Adam were all in the top 10 chance creators in the premier league last year.  Coates was being scouted long before the Copa.