West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Always mystified me why professional footballers suddenly revert to hoofing it when they have a tall striker on the pitch. Crouch suffers from the same thing. If defenders had half a brain he would probably be thought of as a much better player.

Liverpool have to learn to mix up their football and keep it on the deck even when Carroll is playing. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to, but I guess the easy option of long ball is tempting for all players

Always mystified me why professional footballers suddenly revert to hoofing it when they have a tall striker on the pitch. Crouch suffers from the same thing. If defenders had half a brain he would probably be thought of as a much better player.

Liverpool have to learn to mix up their football and keep it on the deck even when Carroll is playing. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to, but I guess the easy option of long ball is tempting for all players

Agreed.

I think defenders in the UK have such a fear of giving the ball away any where near their own half that if put under the slightest pressure they send it long. It's so predictable.

They'll be lucky to get a £20m striker out of him, we'd have been lucky to get that also, only he'd have stood a better chance up here as we'd not drop him, stick by him, and love him regardless. Its already a 50-50 split opinion on him in Liverpool and it could get worse. When Dogleash is looking for big results to secure 4th spot he won't be given time to Carroll to get up to speed, find his feet, his confidence etc...he'll play with the effective Kuyt and the highly talented Suarez to secure the win.

If this goes on; how he reacts now and how the club support him are going to not only define his season, but his Liverpool career. If he gets unhappy, lonely, and regretting his decision to move while sitting on the bench he'll go off the rails in his private life and with half a city glad to wind him up it will only be a matter of time till another headline splashes the front and back pages.

The one thing I will say is that it hasn't come to that, dropped temporarily by England and Liverpool, we need to see if this develops further, or if Dogleash has a plan for the XI which includes Carroll, or whether he was a panic buy on the last day and having seen him in training isn't the player he thought he was when he sanctioned such a fee for the big man.

I don't see Liverpool playing a passing game btw, in fact its as haphazard as ours, depending who is on the pitch dictates the way they play. Imo i don't think Dogleash has put that much thought in to it and could be Carroll's saving grace. When he does play they hoof it because he's there and a target, when he's not there they don't have anything like him so they don't do it, quite simple really. They do obviously play it on the floor as there's nowt in the air but its not carpet football and for me not a real plan of attack and really the whole thing hinges on whether Carroll and Suarez can play together, blend and bring their obvious contrasting qualities to the pitch and make them work, two styles not just one. If that happens then he has a great chance, it might click, it might not, its an expensive gamble and currently looking like Carroll is too one dimensional to pull it off.

Excellent post.

I'd take Carroll back.  We'd have to change the way we played a bit though.  Probably what I'd do is switch Jonas back to the right side and start Marveaux on the left.  Let Marveaux play as a classic winger and cross.  Jonas can play much as he does now, perhaps look to cross a bit more since he's on the right.  HBA could be devastating playing off of Carroll.

This. He´s also a big threat on set pieces.

HBA could be devastating yes, but Carroll doesn't have the movement to match HBA's vision and speed of thought. Taking nought away from Carroll who is a great player and doesn't need long balls to prove it either, they're not a match made in heaven.

A laughably poor section in the Sun today (I know) about Carroll, one part of which says:

'Since his Premier League debut on February 25 2007, Carroll has played only 51 top-flight games out of a possible 146 - that's 35% - due to injury and non-selection.'

Er, aside from his age, I think they're forgetting something.

A laughably poor section in the Sun today (I know) about Carroll, one part of which says:

'Since his Premier League debut on February 25 2007, Carroll has played only 51 top-flight games out of a possible 146 - that's 35% - due to injury and non-selection.'

35%...£35 mill...  :lol: fuck yeah, I'm good at spotting shit like this!

:lol:

Good ol' Sun reporting.

how stupid can they be?  ???

The best way to play against Stoke is probably to try and play through them tbh. Even with Carroll in the side they would be playing into Stokes hands by lumping it forwards.

He would be a big help defending set pieces as well though.

Does anyone think Carroll in front of Ben Arfa would have worked?

Personally was always uncomfortable with that potential partnership, as I don't think Carroll is well rounded enough on and off the ball to play as a lone front-man in a side that would utilise a creative playmaker