West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's absolutely sickening money he's pocketed. And for what? Footballers (at the highest level) don't have to do shit these days and their pretty much set for life. Ridiculous.

Well, let's get it in perspective. He hasn't played well for Liverpool but he's still a Premier League footballer and so he's already made it into the top 1% of players in the world. It's not like everyone who kicks a ball gets massive money.

I do agree the wages are mental, but the business in general is mental too.

Still a large part of me that would love to see him back here and back on the trajectory he had before he left, although I can't really see it happening.

Think he'd be ridiculously effective as a battering-ram next to Ba.

Guest SweetCarrollNine

I see. Do you think he is actually that bad a player, or just lacking confidence/not fitting in with Liverpool's playing style?

I see. Do you think he is actually that bad a player, or just lacking confidence/not fitting in with Liverpool's playing style?

Both, Dalglish is clearly not getting the best out of him. He's simply not the right manager for Carroll.

If we got the old carroll who was good, wouldn't say no if he was free and on normal wages. He'd be alright but wouldn't start him ahead of Ba at the moment and would probably use him when we need to go long out of panic. He's a step in the wrong direction though.

He's clearly not a bad player, he's just went from perfect conditions to conditions that are very difficult for him for a multitude of reasons.  The fact he's not the brightest lad is a huge hindrance.  I think he'll end up being a decent to good Premier League player but I don't think it'll be for Liverpool.

Been asked a million times, I'm in the yes camp without a doubt.

Aye, but theoretically would you rather spend say £20 million bringing Carroll back or use £20 million on 5 Cabaye/Tioté type signings?

It's a very difficult question, I'd have him back but I wouldn't want us paying that much for him.  We'd never spend that much money anyway, certainly not without selling Tiote and Krul first or something.  It's just never going to happen anyway, it's so hypothetical it's ridiculous.

Some middle tier Premier League club will probably come into some money and take a punt on him, doubt it will be us.

It's not a difficult question for me. Even say £15 million could solve about 4 positions in our squad.

Honestly think based on the loss of momentum in his career, the pressure to win back the fans if he came back etc that anything over £10 million would be a risk for him. Even more of a risk than buying some random foreign player.

He seemed to be quite mobile and quick at Newcastle, not particularly fast but had a decent bit of pace about him. Here he just seems so sluggish and lethargic.

The conditions here were pretty much "perfect" for him. Hometown club, number 9, essentially the perfect playing system.

But at Liverpool:

- The £35 million price tag is constantly hanging over him so he has that extra pressure to actually perform;

- Dalglish's system not using Carroll's abilities to their fullest; a hint of homesickness;

- Like Interpolic has said, he isn't the brightest of lads either so I reckon there's also that issue of professionalism (out on the town drinking/partying too much instead of knuckling down and trying to improve/step up his game).

If Carroll did come back there would be massive pressure on him from day 1 as he'd have to win back a lot of people.

Good chance it would go disastrously wrong.

He'd also have to return to the form he had from Feb to Dec 2010 pretty quickly. Now given he's had an equal time period of relative shitness, there's no guarantee that was a true marker of his ability.

It's not a difficult question for me. Even say £15 million could solve about 4 positions in our squad.

Honestly think based on the loss of momentum in his career, the pressure to win back the fans if he came back etc that anything over £10 million would be a risk for him. Even more of a risk than buying some random foreign player.

Yeah, someone said a while back (it might actualy have been you) that now the 'Geordie Hero' romanticism has gone he's just another striker. We clearly have the scouting set up to find a better player for cheaper.

Aye it was me, and that's definitely where I stand.

I loved him during that spell and even made that Youtube video but now I just look at him objectively as any potential transfer target and frankly there's better options. We got a better striker for free ffs.

The main problem with buying him back isn't convincing Liverpool to sell. Or finding the money to buy him. It's matching his wages or at least convincing him to take a massive drop to what we could afford and be comfortable with paying him.

So really the question of whether we should buy him back is utterly fucking irrelevant as we'd never be able to convince him to come at the wages we'd be willing to offer.

He looked a player that could have led our line for 10 seasons, my opinions haven't changed based on what's happened.

And we're also skirting around the issue that the money generated from his sale should still effectively be there to spend of course.  Our first team's very good, I think any additions other than another top striker can be capable (and cheap) squad players if we hold on to our best first team players and we'll progress.