West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Really pleased for him, hopefully it will make him stick in and work even harder, wonder how Shola feels.......

Motivated to make the 23 shirt just as legendary.

He's nee David Beckham mind.

Or Carlo Cudicini.

If Shola really wanted the number 9 he'd have poached it this time last year. But typically he's much happier to stay put.

I doubt he would have been allowed it.

I hope not anyway.

Guest BooBoo

Who was the poster who lambasted Carroll and said he'd had his chance after our draw with Man City a few years back. I think Carroll played the last ten minutes of the game.

I get regularly whipped for my Enrique comments from early 2008 so I demand the Carroll culprit be castigated! :-)

It would be a massive snub to Shola to bypass him and give the number 9 to Carroll. He's the senior player and has performed for us in the Premiership before (was a major part of us getting 7th in 05-06). Not saying Shola should have it, but he should have it ahead of Carroll.

This is patent nonsense - Carroll scored almost 20 goals last season and despite Shola playing in the Prem, he has NEVER looked like being a legendary Newcastle No 9, either in his general play or goals scored. Carroll is not yet in the No 9 club at SJP, but he has much more chance of making it than Ameobi ever will. The only person who thought he was a decent replacement for Shearer was himself.

Carroll got 19 in 42 games (7 as sub)

Ameobi got 12 in 19 (8 as sub)

wonder what sholas thinking. He did say some years ago now, "I can replace Shearer" :laugh:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/18/shola-ameobi-wants-to-fulfil-ambitions-at-newcastle-61634-25622463/2/

He said: “Five years ago I had big ambitions. I wanted to be Alan Shearer’s successor, wear the number nine shirt, play for England, go to the World Cup – so no my career is not fulfilled. I accept that.

“Five or six years, ago if someone said this would be my career, I would be disappointed. I would be first to admit I have not fulfilled my potential or scaled the heights I thought I would.

“That is down to me, you can talk about injuries and make all sorts or excuses, but the harsh truth is I have not reached the heights I set myself. But I have just turned 28 and there is still time.

Sounds fair enough to me, or maybe you prefer players to have no confidence in themselves or desire to be the best?

As to what this will do to his confidence:

“When I had regular runs, I was averaging a goal every other game.

“It is not a question of do I think I can do it, I know I can because I have done in it. And I have to say that when a manager does really believe in me, it helps. I am definitely someone who needs that. It brings the best out of me.

“My best times were with managers who rated me. Sir Bobby Robson rated me and often told me that. Glenn Roeder, Joe Kinnear as well. It gives you great confidence knowing the manager has faith.

“But when you think you need to score a goal to keep your place, or that if you haven’t scored in 60 minutes you are coming off, that is hard.

“I’ve been out for four months, but Chris Hughton has faith and it was great to hear him call me his number one striker.”

Probably not the best of news for a self confessed confidence player who if fit will play a lot of games next season.

He's not the greatest striker in the world, but it's ridiculous the amount of stick he gets, and unfortunately he's probably the best goal scorer at the club right now.

Who was the poster who lambasted Carroll and said he'd had his chance after our draw with Man City a few years back. I think Carroll played the last ten minutes of the game.

I get regularly whipped for my Enrique comments from early 2008 so I demand the Carroll culprit be castigated! :-)

I remember that game and I'm sorry but he was appalling! Considering he was only on for 10 minutes he never chased the ball down once. I remember being very angry with him that game. Then Steven bloody Ireland equalised in the 87th minute or summit. What a win that would have been, with having 10 men after Robinho dived to get Beye send off.  :angry:

Just had a look, he got slated by everyone tbh.

Guest BooBoo

Aye one of the most gut wrenching late equalisers of recent times and we had plenty to stomach that season.

Ah the good old "Shola can't be that bad really, let's give him another chance!"

We currently don't have any other option than to give him another chance.

It would be a massive snub to Shola to bypass him and give the number 9 to Carroll. He's the senior player and has performed for us in the Premiership before (was a major part of us getting 7th in 05-06). Not saying Shola should have it, but he should have it ahead of Carroll.

This is patent nonsense - Carroll scored almost 20 goals last season and despite Shola playing in the Prem, he has NEVER looked like being a legendary Newcastle No 9, either in his general play or goals scored. Carroll is not yet in the No 9 club at SJP, but he has much more chance of making it than Ameobi ever will. The only person who thought he was a decent replacement for Shearer was himself.

Carroll got 19 in 42 games (7 as sub)

Ameobi got 12 in 19 (8 as sub)

wonder what sholas thinking. He did say some years ago now, "I can replace Shearer" :laugh:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/18/shola-ameobi-wants-to-fulfil-ambitions-at-newcastle-61634-25622463/2/

He said: “Five years ago I had big ambitions. I wanted to be Alan Shearer’s successor, wear the number nine shirt, play for England, go to the World Cup – so no my career is not fulfilled. I accept that.

“Five or six years, ago if someone said this would be my career, I would be disappointed. I would be first to admit I have not fulfilled my potential or scaled the heights I thought I would.

“That is down to me, you can talk about injuries and make all sorts or excuses, but the harsh truth is I have not reached the heights I set myself. But I have just turned 28 and there is still time.

Sounds fair enough to me, or maybe you prefer players to have no confidence in themselves or desire to be the best?

As to what this will do to his confidence:

“When I had regular runs, I was averaging a goal every other game.

“It is not a question of do I think I can do it, I know I can because I have done in it. And I have to say that when a manager does really believe in me, it helps. I am definitely someone who needs that. It brings the best out of me.

“My best times were with managers who rated me. Sir Bobby Robson rated me and often told me that. Glenn Roeder, Joe Kinnear as well. It gives you great confidence knowing the manager has faith.

“But when you think you need to score a goal to keep your place, or that if you haven’t scored in 60 minutes you are coming off, that is hard.

“I’ve been out for four months, but Chris Hughton has faith and it was great to hear him call me his number one striker.”

Probably not the best of news for a self confessed confidence player who if fit will play a lot of games next season.

He's not the greatest striker in the world, but it's ridiculous the amount of stick he gets, and unfortunately he's probably the best goal scorer at the club right now.

You've proved my point - Carroll was FIT enough to play the necessary number of games to score his total - Shola rarely has been. Picking out 12 matches is a poor way to judge a striker who has been a first-team squad member for almost 10 years.....Carroll is many years younger than Ameobi .

I like our 'number 9 tradition' because its a special something else that separates us from other clubs. And I'm happy for Andy Carroll because even though he sounds like a twat, he looks genuinely happy in that photo and it might give him the confidence that eventually leads to the England squad. Local lad does well, gets us promoted and catches Capello's eye.......he deserves it.

C'MON ANDY!!!!  :clap2: