West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Despite doing pretty well for us and being more than a battering ram, he's not a cool enough name for the majority on here. I voted second option down but it massively depends on what the budget is (probably fuck all) and how we're going to playing next season (probably shite).

We'd improve either way with someone who can hold the ball up properly though IMO. Only problem with is that Cisse would then not fit in.

One of the biggest problems to address this summer, whether or not Pardew stays, is the fact that we tend to buy players because they're a good price rather than based on where they fit into the side. Having talented players isn't enough, we need to make some decisions on how we want to play and what the ambitions are. And do our deals around that.

:thup: Couldn't agree more, be amazed if it happens though - at least on a full scale.

System should work in theory and it probably would if we had a more adaptable manager though. I think there needs to be more cohesion though.

Despite doing pretty well for us and being more than a battering ram, he's not a cool enough name for the majority on here. I voted second option down but it massively depends on what the budget is (probably fuck all) and how we're going to playing next season (probably shite).

We'd improve either way with someone who can hold the ball up properly though IMO. Only problem with is that Cisse would then not fit in.

One of the biggest problems to address this summer, whether or not Pardew stays, is the fact that we tend to buy players because they're a good price rather than based on where they fit into the side. Having talented players isn't enough, we need to make some decisions on how we want to play and what the ambitions are. And do our deals around that.

:thup: Couldn't agree more, be amazed if it happens though - at least on a full scale.

System should work in theory and it probably would if we had a more adaptable manager though. I think there needs to be more cohesion though.

Who are our first team players when everyone is fit and available? Which players can't be relied upon? What formation/system will we play? Do we need 'a tackle' in there every single game? How does Sissoko fit into our midfield? Should he continue in behind a striker? If Colo stays, who is the first choice centre back pairing and how do we keep the spare first teamer happy? If Colo leaves, who should replace him? Do we want to play with width, or a more narrow game? Should we build our side around Ben Arfa or Cabaye? Someone else? Can Ben Arfa and Marveaux fit into the same side? How do we get more chances for Cisse? Is he likely to do better with more low crosses into the box or more sliderule passes in behind? Does he need a partner like Carroll? A partner like Ben Arfa? A partner like Ba? A partner at all? Do we spend big on a proven striker or go for youth?

All pretty basic questions off the top of my head (that's just a start) but examples of what added together should define who we buy and sell this summer, and why. The squad needs to be shaped; we can't just keep buying randoms, some joined-up thinking is required if we're going to move forward. Particularly if the current manager is to stay.

Who are our first team players when everyone is fit and available? Which players can't be relied upon? What formation/system will we play? Do we need 'a tackle' in there every single game? How does Sissoko fit into our midfield? Should he continue in behind a striker? If Colo stays, who is the first choice centre back pairing and how do we keep the spare first teamer happy? If Colo leaves, who should replace him? Do we want to play with width, or a more narrow game? Should we build our side around Ben Arfa or Cabaye? Someone else? Can Ben Arfa and Marveaux fit into the same side? How do we get more chances for Cisse? Is he likely to do better with more low crosses into the box or more sliderule passes in behind? Does he need a partner like Carroll? A partner like Ben Arfa? A partner like Ba? A partner at all? Do we spend big on a proven striker or go for youth?

All pretty basic questions off the top of my head (that's just a start) but examples of what added together should define who we buy and sell this summer, and why. The squad needs to be shaped; we can't just keep buying randoms, some joined-up thinking is required if we're going to move forward. Particularly if the current manager is to stay.

Yup. You'd like to think Pardew/whoever could answer all those but seeing them all written down like that frightens the shit out of me.

£90k a week, fucking hell :lol:

I doubt we'd pay half of that.

I'd hope we wouldn't. Would be surprised if any of our players are on that much and Carroll would be far from our best.

£90k a week, fucking hell :lol:

I doubt we'd pay half of that.

I imagine the vast majority of clubs wouldn't pay anything like that, and rightly so, too.

More and more clubs will be moving in that direction - away from the mental salaries.

Can we have a list of alternative really tall strikers that balls can be hammered to. Must be a few in lower leagues, or what about Diabeties from Bordeaux, he would really take the biscuit

Chris Samba. He also likes biscuits.

Carroll is on around £90,000 a week at Liverpool; that salary is way beyond Newcastle's budget, although not out of West Ham's salary structure.

:pilko:

How can West Ham afford that if Newcastle can't, unbelievable.  #FFP

I personally would love him back if it wasn't for his injuries.  According to that article his now injured for 6 weeks and he only played 25 games this year.  Of course it's not a sure thing he will be mr.sicknote, but it is an indicator which I don't like.  I'm 50/50 on this although I voted "Yes".