The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno what Young was playing at there but it was still never a penalty. Bennets usually a complete twat but fair play to him for double checking with the linesman.

Jammy f***ing bastards

Now i know why they are 4th

Quite right.

It is all luck.

That's why this is looking like 7 wins from 10 away matches.

Pure luck.

Last 2 games against WHam and Hull you have been shit. Not even defended well as West Ham should have had 3 or 4.

Would love to know what O'Neill says to the big guy upstairs

What about the game against Arsenal (ie the last game) where we should have had 4 by half time?

And if they "should" have had 3 or 4 but didn't, then maybe we actually did play well?

As i said on the "story so far" thread, we have played well within ourselves for most of this season, but have still been good enough to end the year in fourth, three points ahead of Arsenal.

If you want to suggest that's all about luck, then fair enough. Personally, I think it is a litte more complex than that buy hey ho.

Guest toonlass

He's not given it! SCANDALOUS!!!

Haha how?! It hit the bar not a hand.

The scandal is a ref changed his mind when told! Should be front page news, ref sees sense!

He might get a bit of stick for changing his mind but at least he had the guts to check and come to the right decision. Plenty of the arrogant twats wouldn't have even bothered and given it regardless.

Well done Bennett.  :yikes:

If villa had taken notice of the 'respect' campaign, they'd not have got that. Can't remember which game of ours it was, possibly man city, but duff demanded the ref consult the linesman, who hadn't given the penalty, over and over again and the ref just ignored him. They're fucking clueless.

I am pretty convinced that that on-pitch half time team talk Phil Brown gave at Man City will have a long term bad effect on the players morale.

Well it improved them in the second half of that match and they were the better side today (though neither were impressive), so in the short term it doesn't look to have done much damage.

Hull today just sat and defended.

I wonder if their early season spirit has gone and they've gone in to panic mode where they just try not to lose.

That's a one way ticket to the CCC ordinarily. They probably have enough points on the board now to survive.

Hull today just sat and defended.

I wonder if their early season spirit has gone and they've gone in to panic mode where they just try not to lose.

That's a one way ticket to the CCC.

Here's hoping.

Guest Heneage

Hull are stumbling and are set to field the older players of the squad such as Barmby, Windass, Stelios etc. At least thats what Brown said when the tie came out.

What a poor game that is.

Hull have got no technical ability at all, the amount of times their players miscontrolled the ball and over hit passes was shocking.

Villa on the other hand are completely toothless because Hull are sitting deep thus nullifying their whole gameplan of pressing the opposition and then hoofing it in behind for Young & Agbonlahor to sprint onto.

That's a slightly unsympathetic view of things.

To suggest we just hit it long for those two to sprint on to is misleading. In fact, the only thing I've seen Young sprint on to and finish was jagielka's back pass at Goodison.

We have a problem unlocking teams who stick men behind the ball and defend. This season, most teams who come to Villa Park do that. We struggle to unlock them.

Away from home, teams tend to have a go at us which gives us space to hit them on the counter. Hitting a team on the counter doesn't consist of hoofing it for Young and Agbonlahor, though. In fact, the obvious target for a hoof (Carew) has been injured for a while, so that tactic wouldn't get us very far.

On our day, we play great-to-watch football. Our Achilles heel is that when teams just defend, we struggle to unlock them.

I just said to sprint onto, not sprint onto it and finish. Trying to finish from the channels wouldn't get you very far.  ;D

You look for a long ball to the channels all the time, especially when the opposition have just had an attack. Friedel often seems to be looking to throw it out quickly for someone to knock down the line or up over the top. Hoofing it doesn't always mean it sticks in the air or needs to be headed, if the target is in space then that isn't the case so the Carew thing isn't really an issue.

You actually went on to agree with what my main point was- that because of this style of play, which relies on space being left in behind, that you struggle against any team that either sticks 10 men behind the ball or plays with a deep defensive line. 

I don't know why you're annoyed with what I said, maybe cause I said "hoof" instead of hitting it long?

If villa had taken notice of the 'respect' campaign, they'd not have got that. Can't remember which game of ours it was, possibly man city, but duff demanded the ref consult the linesman, who hadn't given the penalty, over and over again and the ref just ignored him. They're f***ing clueless.

To be fair, you can't blame Villa players for that when it was obvious there was no incident! It was like when the Watford players surrounded the linesman and referee during the Reading game for the "goal that never was". You couldn't blame them for that when there was no goal in the first place. Difference being, at least this time the referee saw sense to overrule his original decision.

If villa had taken notice of the 'respect' campaign, they'd not have got that. Can't remember which game of ours it was, possibly man city, but duff demanded the ref consult the linesman, who hadn't given the penalty, over and over again and the ref just ignored him. They're f***ing clueless.

To be fair, you can't blame Villa players for that when it was obvious there was no incident! It was like when the Watford players surrounded the linesman and referee during the Reading game for the "goal that never was". You couldn't blame them for that when there was no goal in the first place. Difference being, at least this time the referee saw sense to overrule his original decision.

Absolutely, I say they should have been allowed to question the decision but fair play to Bennett, despite the Villa players physically pushing him, he didn't book them but obviously realised that he'd made a complete cock-up and went to the linesman. Players should be allowed to physically assault the ref depending on the scale of his balls up imo. I'm not being sarcastic either. :lol:

if gerrard had put the ball in it would have been a pen as the player put his hand up so there was intent...........re pen against sheff utd opening day couple of years back.

Guest quklaani

Don't think you can get done for intent to handball though, even when its that obvious.

Seven wins away from home by Christmas.

Not wanting to sound like I am crowing (I'm not, I am aware of our faults), but given some of the posts above, that is why we are where we are.

That's really excellent.

Kinda makes some of your rubbish home results look bad though.  Everton and Chelsea are the same, it's quite strange.  If you'd beaten Boro, Fulham and Liverpool, all games I watched and think you should have won, you'd be top.