Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

Why can't you comprehend the possibility that some were unhappy with the previous regime and are also unhappy with the current regime?

I do. I'm just pointing out that if he is referring to the backing the managers got, to what extent does he feel the need to back them ?

Which - I accept I didn't ask that question, but tried to be brief.

maybe over time we'll see the sale of given as vital to the club's evolution. we shudnt need his transfer money to do this, but if it gets invested on a couple of gems - someone we can mould a new team around - the club can progress. its at the stage now where i really wouldnt mind selling everyone and starting from scratch (except maybe jonas, bassong and shay). but if sacrificing shay means we sign someone cheap and brilliant like diarra/cahill/lescott/valencia/santa cruz turned out to be, then so be it. of course, do any of us really trust JFK to do this?

btw it hurts to say that because i love shay, but i'm trying to scrape ANY positives together from all this. then when things dont work out at citeh, we bring him back in the summer for £2 million  :iamatwat:

im crying on the inside  :weep:

Guest Mantis

maybe over time we'll see the sale of given as vital to the club's evolution. we shudnt need his transfer money to do this, but if it gets invested on a couple of gems - someone we can mould a new team around - the club can progress.

All of the above was said when Milner was sold for £12m.  They then spent £5.9m which so far hasn't taken the club in a better direction. 

Guest elbee909

"his Toon torment predates even the arrival of controversial current owner Mike Ashley" - surely not etc.

and fellow NOTW reporter Rob Beasely is Mike Ashley's friend ?

Whatever. He signed a new contract 2 years ago despite being tormented and despite the club playing in europe.

Take it from me elbee, the club is rapidly becoming a complete farce of a club just like it used to be.

I've never argued that it isn't, however I've not been happy with the lack of ambition now or before Ashley.

I think you will find that we were one of the top spenders under the old board. All this unhappiness and disarray is being caused by the fact we aren't doing it anymore and people are used to seeing it. Its difficult to see how you can be unhappy with ambition when they were one of the top spenders and aimed to be in europe as a minimum target, rather than just stay in the premiership.

Because then we didn't spend real money where it counts - on the manager.

"his Toon torment predates even the arrival of controversial current owner Mike Ashley" - surely not etc.

Whatever. He signed a new contract 2 years ago despite being tormented and despite the club playing in europe.

Take it from me elbee, the club is rapidly becoming a complete farce of a club just like it used to be.

I've never argued that it isn't, however I've not been happy with the lack of ambition now or before Ashley.

I think you will find that we were one of the top spenders under the old board. All this unhappiness and disarray is being caused by the fact we aren't doing it anymore and people are used to seeing it. Its difficult to see how you can be unhappy with ambition when they were one of the top spenders and aimed to be in europe as a minimum target, rather than just stay in the premiership.

not sure I get you mate, do you mean they weren't paying top salaries to the managers ?

I think that it would be good footballing sense to sell shay for 8 or 9 mill and spend that money wisely on a left back, centre mdfielder and another more flexible defender (right back<centre back).

This is if we can persuade harper to sign an extension to his contract...

we shouldn't have to sell Given to spend that sort of money

We certainly shouldn't.

Even in these more frugal days I don't think we have to, certainly no one from the club has said that, indeed they've pretty much said the opposite.

Lets face it, it started with a statement made by Given's lawyer/agent and we all know where their interests lie.

Guest elbee909

not sure I get you mate, do you mean they weren't paying top salaries to the managers ?

I'd hope we weren't post-Robson.  I've often thought of the false economy of shopping in the bargain basement for managers after him, while happily paying the likes of Dyer 50k+ a week.

I'd hope we weren't post-Robson.  I've often thought of the false economy of shopping in the bargain basement for managers after him, while happily paying the likes of Dyer 50k+ a week.

I can't find anything which states the contract Allardyce was on. I wouldn't have thought we wouldn't have paid him a top contract though.

Lots of players are paid more than their managers ?

Its not right, but its the way it is.

Every transfer window for years Shay has been saying we need to  strengthen and it never happens, no one can blame him for feeling fkd off with it all, he is a world class keeper and could have had plenty of medals had he moved. He has been as loyal to us as Big Al was. I do not see him going he was just venting some anger and frustration, he knows if he goes we go down. He does love this club and I m sure he will be here at least until the summer anyway.

Like I said earlier in the thread the big difference this transfer window is MAN CITY. The recognised 'Big 4' have had 11 years to come in for him but haven't bothered. Now he's the wrong side of 30 what makes folk think they'll come now? I'd not be surprised at all if City have made their intentions clear to Givens representatives already.

Given might already have played his last game for us.  If we can screw City for a decent fee then I personally could live with it. Goalkeeper isn't the weakest position we have by a long walk. It makes securing Harper all the more important though. My fear is giving Kinnear any monies raised - the bloke is a useless twat.

• 2 weeks later...
The final whistle saw a handful of players applaud the away end - urged by Chris Hughton - but Shay Given make his way quickly down the tunnel and out of sight, forsaking his regular appreciation of the fans.

Doesn't sound good. :(

Every transfer window for years Shay has been saying we need to  strengthen and it never happens, no one can blame him for feeling fkd off with it all, he is a world class keeper and could have had plenty of medals had he moved. He has been as loyal to us as Big Al was. I do not see him going he was just venting some anger and frustration, he knows if he goes we go down. He does love this club and I m sure he will be here at least until the summer anyway.

Like I said earlier in the thread the big difference this transfer window is MAN CITY. The recognised 'Big 4' have had 11 years to come in for him but haven't bothered. Now he's the wrong side of 30 what makes folk think they'll come now? I'd not be surprised at all if City have made their intentions clear to Givens representatives already.

Given might already have played his last game for us.  If we can screw City for a decent fee then I personally could live with it. Goalkeeper isn't the weakest position we have by a long walk. It makes securing Harper all the more important though. My fear is giving Kinnear any monies raised - the bloke is a useless twat.

Yes i agree if given wants to leave we are pretty well covered. We should definitely sell for a decent fee.

Guest Slippery Sam

If Given does leave, will he attract the vitriol Keegan has got as being a 'bottler'??? After all, surely it will be a case of him leaving a sinking ship, and surely his continued presence between the sticks will help the cause?

Somehow, I think I know the answer.

If Given does leave, will he attract the vitriol Keegan has got as being a 'bottler'??? After all, surely it will be a case of him leaving a sinking ship, and surely his continued presence between the sticks will help the cause?

Somehow, I think I know the answer.

We have a more than able player in Harper to come in and take his place.

We didn't have someone to replace Keegan already in place like that.

Totally different situations anyway, you're typing bollocks.

Yes i agree if given wants to leave we are pretty well covered. We should definitely sell for a decent fee.

??? What's the point selling for any price if (as looks likely) the club's owners will simply hoard any takings for themselves and not invest in building a balanced squad of motivated players like we so desperately need?

Guest GodOfRods

The final whistle saw a handful of players applaud the away end - urged by Chris Hughton - but Shay Given make his way quickly down the tunnel and out of sight, forsaking his regular appreciation of the fans.

Doesn't sound good. :(

From what I've read on some other forums, some fans claim this quote is wrong on .com. Can anyone confirm who is right? Did Shay disappear straight down the tunnel??

Shay deserves better than NUFC - period.

The club is as big a joke as it was just before KK arrived in 92, and any player who can better himself would be stupid not to leave if he has the chance ; would YOU want to be playing Fizzy Pop football next season if you were Shay Given...??

Guest sittingontheball

If we can get good money and have nothing to spend ourselves, sell him to Citeh is the realistic response.

Comparisons with Waddle, Beardsley etc. are wrong because we had no replacement anywhere near the same class. Waddle went to a tribunal so we got bugger all for him. He hated Charlton anyway and was happy to go.

Harper is a decent keeper. My only worry is that he will come in rusty. He should have played in the FA Cup at least.

Shay has given the club good service over the years, with the club been in the mess that it is. I think it owes him the chance to leave and better himself if he wishes.

the club should do what it considers is best for itself. yes he's given good service but the contracts he's signed must have been enough to keep him happy.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Shay has given the club good service over the years, with the club been in the mess that it is. I think it owes him the chance to leave and better himself if he wishes.

the club should do what it considers is best for itself. yes he's given good service but the contracts he's signed must have been enough to keep him happy.

Yes he must have had good contracts and also seemingly a lot of influence over whether he plays or not. Considering Harper is a canny keeper, he doesn't seem to get a game even in the cups. Maybe the club has been worried about Shay spitting his dummy out again like he did years ago but it seems strange that Harper is dropped no matter how well he plays, once Shay is fit.

I recall a game down at West Brom a few years ago, the final game of the season. It was a dead game, no league position could be changed no matter what the result, but did Harper play? No, Bobby had Shay in. Always thought it dangerous to have a player seemingly having "power". Think the same thing happened with Shearer particularly during the latter years of Bobbys reign.

Whatever the reason, Shay has been amply rewarded by the club for his appearances and am sure his loyalty would have been severely tested if he had not been happy with his contract etc. Saying all that however, he is a good keeper and no one could blame him if he did move to try and secure some medals before his career ends.