Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Stephen927

City are going nowhere fast with Hughes in charge.

If Given played his cards right in the summer, he could find himself on his way to a top four team or a top foreign team.

Well Shay hope you enjoyed watching Man City today.Wonder how himself and Bellamy get on considering they had a huge spat only a few weeks ago

I've always had the impression they get on and tease each other.  Always remember them joking together when he first played against us for Blackburn.

Guest sicko2ndbest

We should ask for Hart or Schmeichel to come up this way. Both have a lot of potential.

Hart no chance, Schmeichel no better than Krul

If this isnt wrapped up by sunday afternoon we should pull the plug.

Why? If we get 10M the last minute I'll be happy.

We need the money asap if we are to bid on other players. If they sucumb to letting us have a player or two in exchange with some cash a last minute deal wouldnt be so bad. As it stands however we need the money to push through the deals we want.

The other advantage might be seeing the Citeh arseholes twitching and bidding a bit higher if we take the hard line, certainly working at Blackburn.

Wonder how himself and Bellamy get on considering they had a huge spat only a few weeks ago

I think i missed something.

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=138983

Was supposed to have all been media lies, iirc.

Aye they were probably discussing what salaries they'd been offered at man City and what "exit strategies" they could use to get out of their respective clubs.

Of course a cynical person could suggest we're waiting until the last possible moment to sell him so that the fans can't complain at the money not being spent.

That's a fair point that hadn't even crossed my mind.

Of course a cynical person could suggest we're waiting until the last possible moment to sell him so that the fans can't complain at the money not being spent.

What have we been offered £5mill. Do you think we should take that?

Dont like teams thinking we have to sell so they can take the piss.

As Keegan done that though with the Cole money that seems ok as long as it's spent six months down the line. Although not that it will be spent on players of similar quality of course.

Guest black n white

I must be super cynical as i pointed this out a few days ago, until ashley recovers his £100 mi  he cant sell

I must be super cynical as i pointed this out a few days ago, until ashley recovers his £100 mi  he cant sell

I'm confused. So how's he going to recover his £100 million, then?

I'm confused.

nowt new there then.  mackems.gif

Guest fading star

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N’Zogbia for about £25m.

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N’Zogbia for about £25m.

A possible profit of £15 million on transfers would only cover just over half the clubs yearly losses (based on the last lot of accounts), while reducing the pot of future players who would bring in a profit if they are so inferior. Easy my arse. While not taking a penny, he would still need to subsidise the club.

Sounds a great money spinning idea. :rolleyes:

Guest fading star

A possible profit of £15 million on transfers would only cover just over half the clubs yearly losses (based on the last lot of accounts), while reducing the pot of future players who would bring in a profit if they are so inferior. Easy my arse. While not taking a penny, he would still need to subsidise the club.

Sounds a great money spinning idea. :rolleyes:

The question was how is he going to recoup the £100m he lent himself, not the £135m he paid for the club.

Ashley needs about £240m to break even. He almost certainly intends to do this by flogging our best players and then selling up. Asset stripping isn’t complicated, you just need a complete lack of morals.

He should be able to get £200m for a struggling PL club of Newcastle’s stature. So if he keeps us up for four or five seasons he’ll be quids in. If we go down he’s f***ed.