Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Given, wanted away, and i think we should do nothing more than thank him for his years at the club. He's leaving with good aswell as bad memories, and this season has been hard on everyone and in life oyu need changes and he's 32 and has decided to make it now rather than a later when he might be too old.

I would like to thank Shay for all his years at the club, and i believe we should all be behind him and wish him luck at Man City. Although i would loved for him to stay, he's made his decision and its all thanks to Ashley and his staff.

Shay thank you for your service to this club !

We should be behind him? No, he's the one putting us behind him.

As I've said before, Given has been a good, massively well paid servant to the club. He's leaving on a bad note for me. If he'd handed an official transfer request in just before the transfer window then I'd have respected him more.

I support the club not the players. When they leave they become opposition players. I wish them no luck at all. All my wishes of good luck go to those playing in the Newcastle shirts.

Given, wanted away, and i think we should do nothing more than thank him for his years at the club. He's leaving with good aswell as bad memories, and this season has been hard on everyone and in life oyu need changes and he's 32 and has decided to make it now rather than a later when he might be too old.

I would like to thank Shay for all his years at the club, and i believe we should all be behind him and wish him luck at Man City. Although i would loved for him to stay, he's made his decision and its all thanks to Ashley and his staff.

Shay thank you for your service to this club !

I hope City fall apart the seems and I hope they have no luck at all.  Hope that helps.

The sick thing is that we'll either sign no one with this money or sign some completely average cunt who wont improve us.

I cannot believe how far this club has fallen. We are now a selling club. Back to the 80's, people.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!

Based on what? The fact that we didn't sign a direct replacement for Milner, who most fans recognised wasn't worth anywhere near the £12m we got for him?

As I've said before, Given has been a good, massively well paid servant to the club. He's leaving on a bad note for me. If he'd handed an official transfer request in just before the transfer window then I'd have respected him more.

I support the club not the players. When they leave they become opposition players. I wish them no luck at all. All my wishes of good luck go to those playing in the Newcastle shirts.

Agreed.

I could take it if he went to Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United. Infact in an Arsenal shirt, i'd want him to do well, but i hope he fails, and city fail and he has to join Wigan after they buy Buffon, or do what Harper's done for years.

Bitter as f***. Awful attitude.

I am bitter, i also really don't want Man City to do well, not our player anymore couldn't give a toss, hope i never hear the 1 Shay Given song either. We all know why he's going. So? Comments of someone with a broken heart, more than sheer bitterness actually.

Why not the summer?

Look at this way- He's stuck by us 11 years, half of it pure shite, and is sick to the back of his teeth of underachieving. He loves this club but he knows theres a chance we might not even be in this league this time next year, let alone winning trophies. As people have said, at least we have Harper to back him up who is an excellent keeper.

We owe Shay so much, he's given us all he can, we can at least make him happy......even if it is man city.

I could take it if he went to Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United. Infact in an Arsenal shirt, i'd want him to do well, but i hope he fails, and city fail and he has to join Wigan after they buy Buffon, or do what Harper's done for years.

Bitter as f***. Awful attitude.

I am bitter, i also really don't want Man City to do well, not our player anymore couldn't give a toss, hope i never hear the 1 Shay Given song either. We all know why he's going. So? Comments of someone with a broken heart, more than sheer bitterness actually.

Why not the summer?

Exactly, for while i will always appreciate what Shay's done for us over the years, i can't help but think the timing of the move couldn't have come at a worse time.

And because of that, where at one time i would have wished him all the best, now i hope City crash and burn.

He won't pass the medical anyway, what with his injured knee and all..

Just the latest set of lies being spun out of the club, same would have gone for Sleepless Sulker.

Tomorrow, I think.

I'll follow the cow over the moon if it turns out we've got Sturridge in the deal.

Ask yourself why a young sought after player would come to here?

First team opportunities probably, if they were guaranteed..

Guest Howaythetoon

Shay is just another football mercenary and what makes it all the more difficult to accept is that he is actually one of the good guys, a proper professional. Oh well, we move on. Thanks Shay. Now fuck off.

The sick thing is that we'll either sign no one with this money or sign some completely average c*** who wont improve us.

I cannot believe how far this club has fallen. We are now a selling club. Back to the 80's, people.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!

Based on what? The fact that we didn't sign a direct replacement for Milner, who most fans recognised wasn't worth anywhere near the £12m we got for him?

Yes, the Milner scenario could be one. Also the fact that the Nolan transfer was probably done with the idea of using money fro Shay's transfer to fund it. With only one day of the window left, we'll be very lucky to get anyone other than Ryan Taylor in....

Agreed.

Me too sadly.  Shay as been fantastic for us, but he couldn't have picked a worse time to hand in a transfer request.  If he really cared he'd stay another 4 months and move at the end of the season, but then he might not get the chance of his lucrative move to City.  Even the "good pros" can't resist the lure of cold hard cash.

I also doubt there is a player involved, as I suspect the press will have picked up on it.

I doubt there is a player swap involved but the media didn't spot Nolan coming until it was done. The media have, at best, a piss poor 31% correct hit rate on transfers stories coming true. See the stats: -

http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/Default.aspx

Guest johnson293

As I've said before, I'd take about £5m + Johnson or Onuoha or even Sturridge.

But if its straight cash, I hope its £8m or more - then hopefully theres still time to raise any bids we may already have in, or go for others.

The Nolan deal didn't take long, and in previous windows, some deals have been done within the last few hours, so it is possible.

The sick thing is that we'll either sign no one with this money or sign some completely average c*** who wont improve us.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!

Yes, the Milner scenario could be one. Also the fact that the Nolan transfer was probably done with the idea of using money fro Shay's transfer to fund it. With only one day of the window left, we'll be very lucky to get anyone other than Ryan Taylor in....

So all based on speculation then, probably possibly.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!

N'Zogbia has recouped Nolan with money to spare.

If we can't spend the money we raise, Given should be told tough shit, he should have sorted this out a month ago.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!

N'Zogbia has recouped Nolan with money to spare.

If we can't spend the money we raise, Given should be told tough shit, he should have sorted this out a month ago.

We could spend it in summer though, yeah? If Given doesn't want to play for us he should be sold. Same as every other player at the club who feels the same.

It's time this team was made up of players who actually want to be here, not players who came here to pick up stupid wages.