Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........shit move on their behalf

Good.

He's coined enough over the last few weeks and then refused to play Wednesday night in an arrogant attempt to force the club's hand. Well done to them for holding out & forcing the transfer transfer request.

Doesn't deserve a testimonial after the last month.

Within the last 6 months, what ever is going on in the background of this club, it has forced (probably not the word), 2 people in KK and Shay, to act in a way which we probably wouldnt expect - in terms of how it affects the fans.

Heavens knows why they acted in a way that comes across like they want to shaft the club big style and forgets the fans reactions/feelings. Cant be good.

Guest toonlass

It can't be £6m. Kinnear called the £5m bid 'an insult', and an extra million is too close.

We probably accepted £5,000000.01

Guest Stephen927

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........s*** move on their behalf

Good.

He's coined enough over the last few weeks and then refused to play Wednesday night in an arrogant attempt to force the club's hand.  Well done to them for holding out & forcing the transfer transfer request.

Within the last 6 months, what ever is going on in the background of this club, it has forced (probably not the word), 2 people in KK and Shay, to act in a way which we probably wouldnt expect - in terms of how it affects the fans.

Heavens knows why they acted in a way that  comes across like they want to want to shaft the club big style and forgets the fans reactions/feelings. Cant be good.

Both have seen the writing on the wall, for Given it's been there for a while.

This club isn't going anywhere for a long time, theres not much Ashley can put in the club (I'm not aware of how his money is broken up and how much is available to him now to spend).. maybe once we get the high earners off the wage ball and build up a nice bit profit (how many top flight clubs have no debt and make a healthy profit?) then we can maybe splash out a bit.

Given will be entering his twilight years by the time that happens though I reckon.

Heavens knows why they acted in a way that  comes across like they want to shaft the club big style and forgets the fans reactions/feelings. Cant be good.

They've both done it before.

newcastle have refused him a testimonial as part of the deal...........shit move on their behalf

Good.

He's coined enough over the last few weeks and then refused to play Wednesday night in an arrogant attempt to force the club's hand.  Well done to them for holding out & forcing the transfer transfer request.

Heavens knows why they acted in a way that  comes across like they want to shaft the club big style and forgets the fans reactions/feelings. Cant be good.

Given did it because that's the sort of bloke he is.

Good.

Keegan walking out was hardly a shock.  The day he was appointed I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen.

And I don't think someone getting offered a huge amount of cash and deciding to leave can be seen as a shock either.

im really sad to see shay go and its definitely the end of an era. unfortunately, the way he's left has soured things a little bit but don't let it cloud the fact that for 11 years he's stuck with us and proven himself as one of the worlds best. until recently, he never complained publicly despite having many reasons to. the amount of shit he's had to put up with is unbelievable and its symbolic of the current turmoil that he thinks THIS is the point of no return. came close to breaking our appearances record too. shay given became synonymous with newcastle united and itll take some time getting used to him in a new shirt with a new logo.

but life moves on and this might have been the last chance we ever had to seriously cash in on him, consdiering his age. and in the present situation, if sacrificing shay means keeping us in the premiership....then its something that had to be done. its a risk worth taking!!

good luck shay, not sure how long you'll be number 1 at citeh though.....

Guest Heneage

See why couldn't Shay wait a few months? an agreed move at the end of the season? Last home game was Liverpool, he didn't even get a good send off.

don't know if already posted

Shay: This was too good an opportunity to miss

The prospect of an exciting future at Manchester City was key to Shay Given deciding to make his move to the Blues.

The Irish international keeper signed for City on Sunday evening, and mcfc.co.uk sat down with him afterwards to find out more about his decision to move here after 12 distinguished years on Tyneside.

“It's exciting times at Manchester City with the new owners and this manager,” Shay told us, “there are big plans for the Club. I am very excited to be joining and delighted that Manchester City wanted my services, I'm happy that the two clubs could come to an agreement.

“I have two young kids, I had just moved house in Newcastle and there were a few things that could have made me stay there. I have a lot of friends there, and the supporters there are fantastic. They have been great to me for so many years, and I thank them for that. But I just felt that this was an opportunity for me to come to a club that in my opinion are really going to be going places.

“I am even really excited to be going training on Monday, it's a new chapter in my life and one I am looking forward to.

“The profile of the Club has changed dramatically, and there are already some fantastic players here. It looks like some good players will come here in the future as well, and I am sure the fans must be on the edge of their seats to see who comes here. There is already the nucleus of a very good team here, and I hope I can add to that. I am just delighted that they have chosen me to strengthen their goalkeeping department as well.”

To see what Shay had to say, go to mcfctv.com, and don’t forget you can still sign up for free access to mcfctv.com until February 2nd. Click here for the free access offer.

from www.mcfc.co.uk

Surely the testimonial story can't be true, why would anyone ask for one when he was leaving the club? I thought they were a thing of the past anyway, it's not like any Premiership player needs the money to kickstart the rest of his life. Surely someone whose earnings must run into millions over 11 years doesn't need a testimonial?

Guest BigTrev

people use to say he was worth 12-15 points a season but in the last year or so he has not been winning us points just making the defeats not sounds as bad

Guest toonlass

Surely the testimonial story can't be true, why would anyone ask for one when he was leaving the club? I thought they were a thing of the past anyway, it's not like any Premiership player needs the money to kickstart the rest of his life. Surely someone whose earnings must run into millions over 11 years doesn't need a testimonial?

Shay probably would have wanted a testimonial to go to the McMillan Cancer fund and the Shay Given Foundation anyway. He does loads of work for McMillan, cos his mam died of cancer when he was a little bairn.

Shay probably would have wanted a testimonial to go to the McMillan Cancer fund and the Shay Given Foundation anyway. He does loads of work for McMillan, cos his mam died of cancer when he was a little bairn.

Fair enough, I expect you're right, but I've never heard of someone getting one when he's left?