The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

Those criticising KK are living in some kind of dream world

i'd say the one who refuse to criticise him are the ones living in the dream world, aka 1995.

I cant really see what he did wrong tbh so it's hard to critise .. don't you remember an interview early on in his reign when he was asked about his return to Newcastle and he replies 'it's not like the brochure'. 

Ashely had the rest of the year, 35 games to replace him.

Guest fraser

One's opinion of Keegan appears to be framed by either the media view of him as quitter, toy lobber or tantrum thrower or the realistic view of him as a man who cares deeply about his profession and, in particular, us.

He left us the first time on a matter of principle but came back and led us to a position where many of us believed that we would win the Premiership (yes, actually win it!) but was let down by the Board and moved on.

He led Fulham to the Premiership and then took the England job in the face of much clamour for him to do so.

He recognised his shortcomings as an international coach, honourably resigned his position and took Manchester City back to the top flight. Their position the season after he left was worse under 'Psycho' (no toys, no throwing).

This man is a gifted manager; doesn't want to manage Spurs, doesn't want to manage Man U, only wants the best for us. The fat oaf chose Wise above him; this tragedy is a commentary on the oaf not Keegan.

Guest fading star

i'd say the one who refuse to criticise him are the ones living in the dream world, aka 1995.

You’re expecting perfection in an imperfect world.

Keegan isn’t interested in second best. He’s a winner, and when he came back in 92 he set out to win the title. It was a ludicrous ambition given the state the club was in at the time, and it’s a testament to his drive and determination that we came within a whisker of achieving the impossible. However, for one man to carry a club so far so quickly required a huge emotional and physical effort - it was inevitable he would run out of steam and missing out on the title knocked the stuffing out him. Then the PLC thing came along and KK knew he couldn’t take the club any further so he resigned. Lesser men would have hung around picking up the money, but KK is better than that.

You’re position is disrespectful, ungrateful and naive.

Yes, 1995 was a bit of a dream world. KK enabled us to dream of being champions of england. Granted we ultimately missed out by a whisker, but wasn't a bad attempt considering he'd taken us from the brink of relegation to the old division 3.

I can't believe those who back Ashley over KK after seeing what's went on during Ashleys' time here.

All KK wanted was to be given a fair chance to bring success to NUFC, and i don't believe he was given that chance.

If the club is to move forward, we need someone with backbone who will get the club by the scruff of the neck. Not yellow bellies who will jog off the first time they have doubts that they wont get everything how they want it.

I used to love Keegan and I doubt very much whether I'll ever see a NUFC side as good as his. Having said that, he's shat on us twice now (buy my book, that will tell you why i left!) and i've lost a lot of respect for him. Thanks Kev for the good times but it's time for everyone to simply move on. He's history.

Word.

If the club is to move forward, we need someone with backbone who will get the club by the scruff of the neck. Not yellow bellies who will jog off the first time they have doubts that they wont get everything how they want it.

I used to love Keegan and I doubt very much whether I'll ever see a NUFC side as good as his. Having said that, he's shat on us twice now (buy my book, that will tell you why i left!) and i've lost a lot of respect for him. Thanks Kev for the good times but it's time for everyone to simply move on. He's history.

Word.

Double Worded... obviously

I really do wonder why Keegan said it was his decision to sell Milner.

Cos he anticipated getting £12m to spend on a better player(s)? Also would have triggered a fair amount of controversy if he hadn't, given that he'd said a few days earlier that he didn't want the guy to leave.

In theory that works

but it seems really strange to me that he'd compromise his principles like that in order to save face for the club and then walk out 3 days later because of those same principles

Well if you put yourself in his position it is easier to understand. He sells a player he doesn't want to sell but he gets big money for him and thinks he can replace him (and he probably would have with a better player). Three days later he not only hasn't been allowed to replace him, but he has watched Dennis Wise piss up big money on players who were not required. He wasn't gonna go on SSN and tell the world those were his decisions was he.

the rumour of the time was that sebastian schweinsteiger was lined up (fee and terms agreed) then the player pulled out on deadline day.

often wondered if there was any truth in it ?

still hope it goes to court.

I cant really see what he did wrong tbh so it's hard to critise .. don't you remember an interview early on in his reign when he was asked about his return to Newcastle and he replies 'it's not like the brochure'. 

Ashely had the rest of the year, 35 games to replace him.

What he actually said was that this time there was no brochure, he just accepted the job.

Guest Brummiemag

Dont want Keegan back here after what he has done to us .

I agree. I don't want him anywhere near the club.

Unbelievable comments

Terrible times under Keegan wasnt it, making us feel good about the club, attacking football, 1, 3,6,2,2 finishes, failing to win the league by a whisker, beating Man U 5 0, playing 4 up front.  Hope we never see the like again, good riddance kev 

Unbelievable comments

Terrible times under Keegan wasnt it, making us feel good about the club, attacking football, 1, 3,6,2,2 finishes, failing to win the league by a whisker, beating Man U 5 0, playing 4 up front.  Hope we never see the like again, good riddance kev 

i kna,.. somebody was  complaining the other day cos he only left us in 5th place in the league,

5th ,...shit aint it. be lucky to be 5th in championship next season.

Guest Brummiemag

I agree CP40, I actually thought he was doing a good job 2nd time round as manager as well. He was turning us round again and playing better football, made me feel the club was going places again.

I know its going over old ground and people say forget it and move on, but when you get ignorant people slagging the guy off I feel I have to respond. Would have him back tomorrow

Unbelievable comments

i kna,.. somebody was  complaining the other day cos he only left us in 5th place in the league,

5th ,...s*** aint it. be lucky to be 5th in championship next season.

tbf i think most are saying they are pissed off with the manner of his leaving both times.

if he was ever to come back it would be walking on egg shells time.

oh and fwiw i've always felt keegans better football was produced when he couldn't just go out and buy just about who he wanted. i've never felt keegan himself had that much faith in his ability.

Guest Brummiemag

Too tired to argue about this now Madras. Off to bed cos getting up at 5am to follow my other club which is Warrington Wolves who are playing at the olympic stadium in barcelona tomorrow night against Catalan dragons in Super League. Expecting about 2,000 drunken warrington fans there. Warrington are the rugby league equivalent of newcastle, big potential and support but no trophies!

Will be my only european sports trip for a long time! 

Too tired to argue about this now Madras. Off to bed cos getting up at 5am to follow my other club which is Warrington Wolves who are playing at the olympic stadium in barcelona tomorrow night against Catalan dragons in Super League. Expecting about 2,000 drunken warrington fans there. Warrington are the rugby league equivalent of newcastle, big potential and support but no trophies!

no probs...enjoy your trip.

Guest Brummiemag

no probs...enjoy your trip.

Thanks mate

If we're going to debate (again...) whether Keegan was to blame or not, we can't keep bringing up his first reign. That seriously just strikes of being stuck in the past.

yeah you do. everyone uses the past as a guide to the present and future.

however my major point has always been that, as yet there is little evidence either way and most back keegan purely because of who he is. had keegan been the DoF and wise the manager people would still have backed keegan. with what we know being very little we only have personalities to go on.

If we're going to debate (again...) whether Keegan was to blame or not, we can't keep bringing up his first reign. That seriously just strikes of being stuck in the past.

yeah you do. everyone uses the past as a guide to the present and future.

however my major point has always been that, as yet there is little evidence either way and most back keegan purely because of who he is. had keegan been the DoF and wise the manager people would still have backed keegan. with what we know being very little we only have personalities to go on.

I just don't think that when referring to Keegan's role the 2nd time around, his first go at it should have any significance at all. At the end of the day what he did back in the 90's doesn't really change the actions he took this time around, for better or for worse.

What did he do to us exactly?

I'll think you'll find he had our best interests at heart going by the events since he left.  And I bet he has been gagged by the del boy who owns us.

He left us in the s*** at the start of the season and we never recovered and i cannot forgive him for that and its been churned up so many times he should never have came back ,How many times has he jumped ship ?  if he wasnt so spineless he should have insisted on Wise leaving before him ,this argument will go on and on but imho let him go cos self interest is his motivation and we need to start a fresh as i said why oh why go back to him because we all know it will end in tears as history tells us this,how many managers have acted like a spoilt brat like him through there managerial careers .

I think you'll find it was Ashleys decision making that left us in the shit, hence why KK walked.

If Keegan walked out, head held high on principle...

...then why the fuck did he sue us for wrongful dismissal?

...and failed to show any interest in highlighting the issues, or call for change at the top to help his beloved club if he thought it was so bad that he needed to do his disappearing act again?

Ah come on now? Nobody? :razz:

1 - Because he was wrongfully dismissed?

2 - Pre-court case gagging order?

:undecided:

1. But everyone is saying he justifiably walked?

2. Clearly, but that is his choice as he chose to get his pound of flesh out of the club rather than have any sort of dignity.

who was sold behind keegans back? he wanted faye out and milner handed in a transfer request.

If you want to play those games mate, show me quotes where KK said "i want Faye out this club"

Milner most likey was forced to put in a transfer request much like shay given was against his wishes.

im not the one saying players were being sold behind his back though. i want some proof of that first.

the second bit is completely made up.

Made up going off what happended to shay............

What happened to Shay? He was forced to put in a transfer request? If he wanted to leave despite being in contract and at a time when we desperately needed him, well call me old fashioned, but that seems fairly fucking reasonable.

There is not a shread of evidence that that was the case with Milner.

/Still haven't answered my questions by the way.

I'll think you'll find he had our best interests at heart going by the events since he left.  And I bet he has been gagged by the del boy who owns us.

He left us in the s*** at the start of the season and we never recovered and i cannot forgive him for that and its been churned up so many times he should never have came back ,How many times has he jumped ship ?  if he wasnt so spineless he should have insisted on Wise leaving before him ,this argument will go on and on but imho let him go cos self interest is his motivation and we need to start a fresh as i said why oh why go back to him because we all know it will end in tears as history tells us this,how many managers have acted like a spoilt brat like him through there managerial careers .

That is actually one of the worst posts I have ever read on this forum.

Come on then smart arse tell us your perception of the Keegan affair instead of being a prick and slagging me off ,its all about opinions and i have just stated mine and i dont really give a flying fuck what you think but thats how i feel after having watched him play for us and first time managing then to the mess we are in now and it is my honest belief if he had fought his corner we would not be having this conversation but argueing with you seems a waste of time though i will make an exception if you wish .

Guest Heneage

That is actually one of the worst posts I have ever read on this forum.

Newcastle - he walked

City- He walked

England - he walked

Fulham- he walked.

The man did a terrific job for the club but is a serial quitter.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Yes he has done a lot of walking but generally, I think the England one the exception, he's walked after being successful for most of his time at the other clubs.

If a miracle happened and he was back here yet again, I would gladly accept the risks of another walk, as I would have lots of confidence that he could get a team playing football and get us up again.

Newcastle - he walked

City- He walked

England - he walked

Fulham- he walked.

The man did a terrific job for the club but is a serial quitter.

99% of all managers in football either walk away because they have a fight with the owners/chairmen or do a shit job and they hang on until the bitter end and wait until they get sacked so they get their compensation.

You take a pick about what you find a greater quality in a manager but that bollocks above has just been taken from yesterdays Sun.