The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

Guest Howaythetoon

"Hey, my Bobby's better than your Kev"

Honestly this forum is turning to s****.

I wouldn't mind but if it wasn't for KK half the fuckers on here wouldn't be Toon fans. Some of the comments I'm reading are nothing short of sad. Belittling KK's promotion/1st division title, saying he's inferior to Sir Bobby etc.

Sir Bobby was obviously the better manager of the two in terms of all-round skills (largely via his experience) and I firmly believe had he took over from KK back in '97 we'd have at some point won the league or wouldn't have went on the Dalglish inspired slide that we did.

Regarding their respective records however, Keegan's is in a league of its own and he has done far more for this club than Sir Bobby has or did. If it weren't for KK's work here does anyone think Sir Bobby would have touched us? Where was he in the 70s, 80s etc? That's not a dig by the way, just stating something that needs stating.

KK was also better in the transfer market, with Sir Bobby you felt some of his successes were by chance and not design, like KK's with Beardsley, Cole, Sir Les, Ginola, Rob Lee etc.

As for being inferior, the two's principles were pretty much the same, good players make a good team and not so much tactics, defend from the front, create a fortress at home, try to win games and so on and so on. Lets not forget whenever Sir Bobby experimented tactically it often cost us. Tactics are important but they are way down the list on any list of essentials. Good players being top, confidence, and motivation coming second, all things KK was equal or better than Sir Bobby in (identifying talent, filling players with confidence, man management, motivation etc.)

Let us not forget the talent Sir Bobby inherited either.

Given, Speed, Shearer, Dyer, Nobby et al as opposed to what KK inherited... Ozzie's kid's and some journeymen.

Regarding KK and chequebooks, its a myth he is that kind of manager. Yes he spent money and good money but he spent less than Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Blackburn where as in our promotion year the likes of Wolves and Derby spent more than we did. Without money 9 times out of 10 you're going to find it tough. Without money Sir Bobby finished in mid-table and failed to build on CL success. When he did get some money, we did well. Same applies to most managers and their respective teams.

As for some of the affection people have for KK, it goes beyond just the football and what he did on that front, when he was manager first time the training ground was open to fans and we were all in it together, people lucky enough to be there everyday saw a man in tune with us who shared our passion and commitment to the club on a daily basis, who put all his energies into saving our club, fighting tooth and nail daily to do just that. Helped by Sir John Hall of course - and yes, Dougie and Freddy too.

Not that any of this matters, they are both legends of Newcastle United and successful chapters in our club's history who we should all be grateful to and full of respect for.

I know I am. I love the pair of them.

Guest fading star

It bizarre how people claming to support NUFC can slag Keegan off after all he’s done for NUFC yet happily lick the whinnets off Ashley arse for turning us into a total laughing stock.

I wouldn't mind but if it wasn't for KK half the fuckers on here wouldn't be Toon fans. Some of the comments I'm reading are nothing short of sad. Belittling KK's promotion/1st division title, saying he's inferior to Sir Bobby etc.

Sir Bobby was obviously the better manager of the two in terms of all-round skills (largely via his experience) and I firmly believe had he took over from KK back in '97 we'd have at some point won the league or wouldn't have went on the Dalglish inspired slide that we did.

Regarding their respective records however, Keegan's is in a league of its own and he has done far more for this club than Sir Bobby has or did. If it weren't for KK's work here does anyone think Sir Bobby would have touched us? Where was he in the 70s, 80s etc? That's not a dig by the way, just stating something that needs stating.

KK was also better in the transfer market, with Sir Bobby you felt some of his successes were by chance and not design, like KK's with Beardsley, Cole, Sir Les, Ginola, Rob Lee etc.

As for being inferior, the two's principles were pretty much the same, good players make a good team and not so much tactics, defend from the front, create a fortress at home, try to win games and so on and so on. Lets not forget whenever Sir Bobby experimented tactically it often cost us. Tactics are important but they are way down the list on any list of essentials. Good players being top, confidence, and motivation coming second, all things KK was equal or better than Sir Bobby in (identifying talent, filling players with confidence, man management, motivation etc.)

Given, Speed, Shearer, Dyer, Nobby et al as opposed to what KK inherited... Ozzie's kid's and some journeymen.

Regarding KK and chequebooks, its a myth he is that kind of manager. Yes he spent money and good money but he spent less than Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Blackburn where as in our promotion year the likes of Wolves and Derby spent more than we did.

As for some of the affection people have for KK, it goes beyond just the football and what he did on that front, when he was manager first time the training ground was open to fans and we were all in it together, people lucky enough to be there everyday saw a man in tune with us who shared our passion and commitment to the club on a daily basis, who put all his energies into saving our club, helped by Sir John Hall and yes, Dougie and Freddy too.

Not that any of this matters, they are both legends of Newcastle United and successful chapters in our club's history who we should all be grateful to and full of respect for.

Truely poetic.

Lets not have a debate about the managers, lets just all get along and make sure no ones toes get trampled on.

Has anyone else noticed how Keegan fans take similar stances on Keegan "criticisms" (if you can call it that) as NE5 does to Shepherd's...

In fact its the same sort of argument, if you dislike Shepherd it means you love Ashley, if you rate SBR much higher than Keegan it means to think Keegan was a shit manager.

(What a hypocrite you are by the way, you can spend weeks and months talking absolute unsubtantiated shit about the club [you claim to love] and people take it but when someone slights Keegans character based on facts we get this crap) This isnt me defending Ashley incidentally, this is purely an example of your hypocrisy,

(you little girl)

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding KK and chequebooks, its a myth he is that kind of manager. Yes he spent money and good money but he spent less than Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Blackburn where as in our promotion year the likes of Wolves and Derby spent more than we did.

As for some of the affection people have for KK, it goes beyond just the football and what he did on that front, when he was manager first time the training ground was open to fans and we were all in it together, people lucky enough to be there everyday saw a man in tune with us who shared our passion and commitment to the club on a daily basis, who put all his energies into saving our club, helped by Sir John Hall and yes, Dougie and Freddy too.

Truely poetic.

Lets not have a debate about the managers, lets just all get along and make sure no ones toes get trampled on.

Has anyone else noticed how Keegan fans take similar stances on Keegan "criticisms" (if you can call it that) as NE5 does to Shepherd's...

In fact its the same sort of argument, if you dislike Shepherd it means you love Ashley, if you rate SBR much higher than Keegan it means to think Keegan was a s*** manager.

(What a hypocrite you are by the way, you can spend weeks and months talking absolute unsubtantiated s*** about the club [you claim to love] and people take it but when someone slights Keegans character based on facts we get this crap) This isnt me defending Ashley incidentally, this is purely an example of your hypocrisy,

(you little girl)

f*** off man, you're the one that belittles his achievements to point score and are forever the cynic. I suspect you are not a Geordie and weren't around when KK was first manager.

Unlike you and others I can separate KK from the current and Ashley and co and see him for what he is, a NUFC legend who this club owes a big debt of gratitude and respect to, same with Sir Bobby.

As for facts?

And that little spoiler thing, that's f***ing girly :lol:

Truely poetic.

In fact its the same sort of argument, if you dislike Shepherd it means you love Ashley, if you rate SBR much higher than Keegan it means to think Keegan was a s*** manager.

(What a hypocrite you are by the way, you can spend weeks and months talking absolute unsubtantiated s*** about the club [you claim to love] and people take it but when someone slights Keegans character based on facts we get this crap) This isnt me defending Ashley incidentally, this is purely an example of your hypocrisy,

(you little girl)

f*** off man, you're the one that belittles his achievements to point score and are forever the cynic. I suspect you are not a Geordie and weren't around when KK was first manager.

Unlike you and others I can separate KK from the current and Ashley and co and see him for what he is, a NUFC legend who this club owes a big debt of gratitude and respect to, same with Sir Bobby.

As for facts?

And that little spoiler thing, that's f***ing girly :lol:

If i moved away from the area at a young age, does that make me a Geordie? Please say it does kind sir, i hope i get your approval, and yes i was around his first stint, although admittedly not in the area.

My only argument in this whole thread was that he's not a great manager and the uproar over his leaving this summer was compleltey over the top, its something which i believe has left us with Kinnear in charge. Its embarressing that you should think he or anyone should be untouchable.

As for the spoiler thing, I didnt want to hurt your feelings, you're just so precious.

How old are you bytheway? If you dont mind me asking.

The number of people wearing KK tinted specs is amazing. KK Vs SBR no contest at all. KK perhaps played slightly more entertaining football but in terms of tactics, dealing with players, composure and possibly transfer dealings, SBR thumps KK many times over. Plus SBR is a man of integrity, he saw the bigger picture and always thought of the club first. He would never walk away from us and leave us to rot, oh and trust me he had his fair share of shitty Chairman (cue for NE5 to join the thread  :frantic:)

Slightly more entertaining football? The football was entertaining under both of them, but I found it more entertaining under Keegan, without a shadow of a doubt, not slightly more. The football we played from 92-96 was absolutely breathtaking. But not the same style as well, as under our first season back in the big time we played lovely one touch football, some of it was breathless. Then we changed our approach slightly when we bought Sir Les.

Tactics? I'd say both were equal on that front, stuck to the basics of 4-4-2, have a go straight from kick off, the times Sir Bobby tried to be too clever, such as Spurs at home, we got beat, and struggled whenever he tried to change the formation from this. So I'd say they were both equal on that front, and proved get the basics right, attack from the front, a team full of work ethic as well as class.

Possibly transfer dealings? Keegan wins this one for me, without a doubt. Lee, Cole, Beardsley, Ferdinand, Shearer, Ginola, Gillespie, Albert, Beresford, Bracewell was crafty signing at the time. All of those players for a start. Plus he had to work from nothing when he bought these players, SBR inherited a fantastic core of a team, Keegan had to build his from the ground up and his transfer dealings were fantastic for us. Sir Bobby of course bought us some fantastic players, mainly Robert and Bellamy making the difference to that team. But nothing like what Keegan done over an extend period of time.

So can you tell me how SBR thumps Keegan many times over during his stint here? I'm really interested in hearing this.

Composure? Well of course SBR had more composure, especially as people will refer to Keegan's famous rant with regards to that. Although there was plenty of times he was far too stubborn for his own good.

And I can't believe I've had to type this as well, as both have been legends for this club. Legends. And it's a sad state of affairs that the club is in the way it is, as it's turning us fans apart.

I can't believe this argument is even existing. Jesus.

SBR.

For us?<b> There's no comparison who was better for us though. No comparison at all.</b> And if you are referring to their spells in charge of us, then I really don't know what to say.

I think you will find there is.

It makes me laugh people still view Kevin Keegan as some kind of untouchable figure who only ever did anything for our football club.

Particularly after his disastrous second spell and his disgusting lack of loyalty in walking out on those who actually love the club.

Kevin Keegan isn't a Geordie he won't ever be and he doesn't actually love our Club despite what people may like to think. 

Bobby Robson isn't a geordie either if we're being pedantic. And if you don't think Keegan loves our club then there is seriously something wrong with you.

There really isn't a comparison at all with what Keegan done and Robson. I'm not knocking SBR at all as he done a fantastic job for us, but what Keegan done was on another level.

Whilst I've argued for KK having done more for the club that SBR, I actually think the KK loving the club line is a slight fallacy (but not untrue). SBR was treated disgracefully by the club, but despite dying of cancer he still makes as many home games as he can. That's love. Keegan is incredibly passionate, but when did he ever turn up at SJP in a non official role?

An excellent point that, say what you want about Bobby but he's always there cheering on the lads.

Keegan was the only former manager that didn't even bother turning up for Shearer's testimonial and the fact that he said himself that when he came back he had to look up some of our players on the internet shows how much of an interest he took in the club when he wasn't on the payroll.

Keegan was far superior to Robson in the transfer market. Robert & Bellamy apart, and to a lesser extent Woodgate & Jenas, his transfers here were disappointing on the whole.

Robson was poor in the transfer market with most of the better players in his team coming here before he did.

Keegan was far superior to Robson in the transfer market. Robert & Bellamy apart, and to a lesser extent Woodgate & Jenas, his transfers here were disappointing on the whole.

Robson was poor in the transfer market with most of the better players in his team coming here before he did.

I'll add Acuna, Bernard & Distin to the good signings list, but the amount of money blown on players like Cort, Bassedas, Viana, Bramble, Ambrose, Butt & Carr was scary.

We know there are three camps on the Kevin Keegan front. Those who will always stick up for him, those who backed Ashley over him and those who are sick to death of hearing about it in every other thread.

So why not create thread one thread where we can either slag him off or defend him until the cows come home. Think of it as an NE5 v The World type thread.

Enjoy.

thers a 4th group..... those who are very happy and thankful for what he done as a player and first time round as a manager but were wary about his 2nd stint.

(can 1 person be a group ?)

That's pretty much how I feel, credit to him what he done first time but that doesn't make him above criticism the second time around and the way some people get all defensive when he's questioned is laughable.

It bizarre how people claming to support NUFC can slag Keegan off after all he’s done for NUFC yet happily lick the whinnets off Ashley arse for turning us into a total laughing stock.

bluelaugh.gif

I dont know how old you are but i am 45 and KK has walked out twice on us and dropped us in the shit both times and that is why he gets stick for it .

I dont know how old you are but i am 45 and KK has walked out twice on us and dropped us in the s*** both times and that is why he gets stick for it .

:celb:

someone else older than me.

Truely poetic.

(you little girl)

Translation : I got nothing, but i'm still going to not admit I was wrong and just spout off unrelated s***.

I dont know how old you are but i am 45 and KK has walked out twice on us and dropped us in the s*** both times and that is why he gets stick for it .

Keegan both times has left us stronger than we were before he arrived, it's not his fault that dopes appoint other dopes to replace them and undo everything he did

Guest fading star

I’m 206 and you’re talking bollock young man.

Are you counting the not in the brochure incident?

Truely poetic.

(you little girl)

Translation : I got nothing, but i'm still going to not admit I was wrong and just spout off unrelated s***.

Keegan both times has left us stronger than we were before he arrived, it's not his fault that dopes appoint other dopes to replace them and undo everything he did

I got nothing on what? Keegan wasnt a great manager thats a fact. Theres nothing else to it mate, i appreciated what he did in the past for us but that doesnt mean im eternally grateful, nobodies immune from critisicm, especially someone who walks out the club like Keegan has. I could quite easily go into his overall managerial record and point out the avergagness of it, or i could easily go into how he knew little about our squad when he re-signed (he loves nufc remeber) or how he doesnt attend games in non formal roles (loves nufc remember) but ill not bother becasue no doubt it'll be ignored by the majority.

The over reaction to some of the criticisms posted on the board highlight the problem that was casued by the blinkered fans when it all kicked off in the summer - none of you could see the big picture and we're paying for it.

Guest fading star

I got nothing on what? Keegan wasnt a great manager thats a fact. Theres nothing else to it mate, i appreciated what he did in the past for us but that doesnt mean im eternally grateful, nobodies immune from critisicm, especially someone who walks out the club like Keegan has. I could quite easily go into his overall managerial record and point out the avergagness of it, or i could easily go into how he knew little about our squad when he re-signed (he loves nufc remeber) or how he doesnt attend games in non formal roles (loves nufc remember) but ill not bother becasue no doubt it'll be ignored by the majority.

The over reaction to some of the criticisms posted on the board highlight the problem that was casued by the blinkered fans when it all kicked off in the summer - none of you could see the big picture and we're paying for it.

Yes he was. Great manager. Great footballer. Great bloke. Everything Ashley isn’t. Keegan earned the respect of thousands of supporters. He doesn’t need to get a round in for people to like him.

Appointing Keegan was a desperate measure by a man out of his depth. Letting him walk six months later was a mistake of huge proportions. Keegan is how he is, you can’t change him and everybody knows he’s temperamental. Ashely tried to squeeze a square peg into a round hole with predictably disastrous consequences.

When the going gets tough you have to trust your friends. I’m 100% certain Keegan is a friend of NUFC, and 99% certain Ashley isn’t.

Yes he was. Great manager. Great footballer. Great bloke. Everything Ashley isn’t. Keegan earned the respect of thousands of supporters. He doesn’t need to get a round in for people to like him.

Appointing Keegan was a desperate measure by a man out of his depth. Letting him walk six months later was a mistake of huge proportions. Keegan is how he is, you can’t change him and everybody knows he’s temperamental. Ashely tried to squeeze a square peg into a round hole with predictably disastrous consequences.

When the going gets tough you have to trust your friends. I’m 100% certain Keegan is a friend of NUFC, and 99% certain Ashley isn’t.

What makes a great manager to you?

Id put Keegan in the group of good managers at best, same group that id stick Redknapp and Moyes in.

Yes he was. Great manager. Great footballer. Great bloke. Everything Ashley isn?t. Keegan earned the respect of thousands of supporters. He doesn?t need to get a round in for people to like him.

Appointing Keegan was a desperate measure by a man out of his depth. Letting him walk six months later was a mistake of huge proportions. Keegan is how he is, you can?t change him and everybody knows he?s temperamental. Ashely tried to squeeze a square peg into a round hole with predictably disastrous consequences.

When the going gets tough you have to trust your friends. I?m 100% certain Keegan is a friend of NUFC, and 99% certain Ashley isn?t.

I'm a 100% certain you're a moron.

I'll add Acuna, Bernard & Distin to the good signings list, but the amount of money blown on players like Cort, Bassedas, Viana, Bramble, Ambrose, Butt & Carr was scary.

This is spot-on - Robson made some very poor buys which cost the club a lot of money. In doing so, he also made it easy for Shepherd to get rid of him in such a shabby way, because many fans were aware of this, together with his loss of control of the younger players.

Bobby should have been moved to DOF in the summer of 2003, and his assistance sought with recruiting a good young manager ; had SBR been asked about this soon enough, we may even have got Mourinho....

Guest fading star

Yes he was. Great manager. Great footballer. Great bloke. Everything Ashley isn?t. Keegan earned the respect of thousands of supporters. He doesn?t need to get a round in for people to like him.

Appointing Keegan was a desperate measure by a man out of his depth. Letting him walk six months later was a mistake of huge proportions. Keegan is how he is, you can?t change him and everybody knows he?s temperamental. Ashely tried to squeeze a square peg into a round hole with predictably disastrous consequences.

When the going gets tough you have to trust your friends. I?m 100% certain Keegan is a friend of NUFC, and 99% certain Ashley isn?t.

Good

Good

Your work here is done, eh?

Milner, N'Zogbia.

And Gallacher did the job he was brought in for.

Agree with the general point, though.