The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

Why on earth does Keegan get so much abuse from some our so called fans?

Probably something to do with walking out on us for a second time and trying to bleed the club of 10 million, which given our current situation, is really s***.

Just because he did great things for us in the past doesn't mean he's forever void of criticism and can do no wrong until the day he dies.

-----go to square 1

Awesome game of Snakes n Keegan.......................Keegan being the ladders.

Probably something to do with walking out on us for a second time and trying to bleed the club of 10 million, which given our current situation, is really s***.

Just because he did great things for us in the past doesn't mean he's forever void of criticism and can do no wrong until the day he dies.

The tribunal will show who is right in the Keegan vs Ashley and his mates case so we'll see how that pans out and I know who I'd trust out of the 2 sides. If he is entitled to his contract for bing mugged off then so be it. £8 million? The proifit he made the club on Bassong?

It boils my urine seeing so called NUFC fans call him worse than shi*e.

Guest neesy111

this panel is taking it's time, either they can't be arsed to make a decision, or there's more to it than what we thought (well some of us)

this panel is taking it's time, either they can't be arsed to make a decision, or there's more to it than what we thought (well some of us)

Loads more to it, its like the TV show lost!

I guess arithmetic just isn't your strong point.

From the figures given on nufc.com. I make the total spent £43.9 million. Didn't bother to tot up the outgoings.

I am sure UV will reply properly but didnt he say "net" spend. Yet you didnt take the outgoings into account  :dontknow:

You are correct.

I wonder, then, why UV bothered to put in the outgoing figure?

Or omitted the money for Shearer.

Presumably because the outgoing figure was what those players were sold for after KK had left, gives a decent demonstration of the fact the money was sensibly invested and not just being spunked up the wall for the sake of it with no hope of return (i.e. it was hardly spending in the Chelsea or Man City vein). The Shearer money distorts it somewhat and was spent shortly before he left, but even if you count it a total of £40m net in 5 years is hardly outrageous.

No, it's hardly outrageous, though of course UV is talking about a period of only 4 years.

Perhaps you or UV can provide us with a list of all the clubs who spent more in that period.

Loads more to it, its like the TV show lost!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5310/ashleysk.jpg  http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7248/hurley.jpg

Newcastle's hapless chief executive Derek Llambias was behind the ridiculous scare story - promoted by David Craig of Sky Sports News - that suggested being forced to pay £25m to former manager Kevin Keegan could send the club into administration. Keegan's compensation claim has put the sale of the club on hold' date=' with likely buyer Barry Moat well advanced in negotiations until the distraction. Meanwhile, the latest redundancy at Newcastle is programme editor Paul Tully after 14 years service. [/quote']

Newcastle's hapless chief executive Derek Llambias was behind the ridiculous scare story - promoted by David Craig of Sky Sports News - that suggested being forced to pay £25m to former manager Kevin Keegan could send the club into administration. Keegan's compensation claim has put the sale of the club on hold' date=' with likely buyer Barry Moat well advanced in negotiations until the distraction. Meanwhile, the latest redundancy at Newcastle is programme editor Paul Tully after 14 years service. [/quote']

Not really a major surprise is it? Llambias must be one of the most odious characters ever to have been associated with this club, only Ashley would be clueless enough to pay him to make a cunt of himself on a regular basis.

Oh it looks like KK-day

From Times Online

October 2, 2009

Kevin Keegan verdict due

George Caulkin

Recommend?

The result of Kevin Keegan's long-running case against Newcastle United is expected today with the Premier League arbitration panel which has been gathering evidence about his controversial departure from St James' Park last year set to issue its verdict.

Keegan, who is adamant that he was effectively forced from his role as manager after players were allegedly signed without his agreement, has been pressing for compensation of £8m to cover the three years which remained on his contract. In response, Newcastle have argued that he broke his terms of employment by walking out.

Suggestions that a sizeable award being made to Keegan could push Newcastle, who were relegated at the end of last season, into administration have been dismissed by City sources, but even the suggestion has caused a delay in the prospective sale of the club, a process which has been both painstaking and delicate.

Attempts by Barry Moat and his consortium to complete a takeover of Newcastle remain ongoing, but the Tyneside businessman has been awaiting the panel's decision before proceeding further.

The tribunal will show who is right in the Keegan vs Ashley and his mates case so we'll see how that pans out and I know who I'd trust out of the 2 sides. If he is entitled to his contract for bing mugged off then so be it. £8 million? The proifit he made the club on Bassong?

The only reason I hope gets nowt is that Ashley will not pay him out of his own pocket and any major award to KK could have serious implications for the Clubs immediate future.

He will sell again come the transfer window if he has to find serious money and that could end whatever chance we have of getting straight back up.

The only reason I hope gets nowt is that Ashley will not pay him out of his own pocket and any major award to KK could have serious implications for the Clubs immediate future.

He will sell again come the transfer window if he has to find serious money and that could end whatever chance we have of getting straight back up.

That's my position  as well. I will always appreciate what Keegan did for this club but he was well paid and we need the money more than he does. If he wins we are possibly stuck with Ashley for the long term if the sale of the club is affected...and if it's a big pay out then it more than likely will be.

From the figures given on nufc.com. I make the total spent £43.9 million. Didn't bother to tot up the outgoings.

I am sure UV will reply properly but didnt he say "net" spend. Yet you didnt take the outgoings into account  :dontknow:

You are correct.

Presumably because the outgoing figure was what those players were sold for after KK had left, gives a decent demonstration of the fact the money was sensibly invested and not just being spunked up the wall for the sake of it with no hope of return (i.e. it was hardly spending in the Chelsea or Man City vein). The Shearer money distorts it somewhat and was spent shortly before he left, but even if you count it a total of £40m net in 5 years is hardly outrageous.

No, it's hardly outrageous, though of course UV is talking about a period of only 4 years.

Perhaps you or UV can provide us with a list of all the clubs who spent more in that period.

Keegan was there for 5 years in total though wasn't he? The time period is clearly going to be longer if you add on the time between Batty signing and KK leaving so it would be 5 years if you're to go on and count Shearer's signing. I couldn't give a fuck what other clubs spent, nor do I have the faintest idea. Although as has been pointed out the money 'remained' in the squad and was ultimately recooped and more if you look past Keegan's tenure, I'd wager there aren't many transfer records that could stand up to that.

All sorts of figures for Keegan's compo have been bandied around. With these arbitration processes, lawyers are inclined to ask for extreme amounts just to establish a bargaining position. They then get beaten down to something that's still quite lucrative but it looks like they've compromised. Bit like Unions in pay bargaining.

It's a game, and I suspect that's what's happening here.

You are correct.

Keegan was there for 5 years in total though wasn't he? The time period is clearly going to be longer if you add on the time between Batty signing and KK leaving so it would be 5 years if you're to go on and count Shearer's signing. I couldn't give a fuck what other clubs spent, nor do I have the faintest idea. Although as has been pointed out the money 'remained' in the squad and was ultimately recooped and more if you look past Keegan's tenure, I'd wager there aren't many transfer records that could stand up to that.

The figures for other clubs are relevant if what you're trying to do is claim that Keegan didn't spend big or that our spending-power at the time wasn't a huge part of what we achieved in that time, which seemed to be the point UV, in his usual cack-handed fashion, was struggling to make. You can also consider how much the same players would cost in today's market. But without any of that, the figures are pretty much meaningless.

Including Shearer it's something like a £40 million net spend. And this was before the days of CL cash and super-rich sugar-daddies.

Guest Roger Kint

what of these 'parachute payments'? when are they supposed to come in? surely one of them could cover any payouts to KK, and shouldn't affect any sale of the club?

What if thats already factored into the cost/general running of the club though? Its likely to be going straight to Barclays i would have thought.

I am sure UV will reply properly but didnt he say "net" spend. Yet you didnt take the outgoings into account :dontknow:

You are correct.

The figures for other clubs are relevant if what you're trying to do is claim that Keegan didn't spend big or that our spending-power at the time wasn't a huge part of what we achieved in that time, which seemed to be the point UV, in his usual cack-handed fashion, was struggling to make. You can also consider how much the same players would cost in today's market. But without any of that, the figures are pretty much meaningless.

Including Shearer it's something like a £40 million net spend. And this was before the days of CL cash and super-rich sugar-daddies.

You've clearly mis-interpreted it like. It's not trying to say that spending wasn't a factor at all, it's putting it in perspective and the actual figures are significantly lower than you might believe if all you knew of KK was that he was a 'chequebook manager'. Also you can knock another couple of million off that net spend for the sales of Hottiger, Holland and Huckerby. I'm not getting the figures for the other clubs because I can't be fucking arsed :lol: If there was a section on .com that did it I might consider it.

edit: and on a geeky / pedantry note I've just had a quick glance at .com, I would have sworn blind that we signed and sold Tino for £6.5m rather than signing him for £7.5m and selling him for £6m...do I just remember it wrongly?

You are correct.

I can understand people hating on Keegan bc he walked out, I can understand blaming the relegation partly on Keegan to some extent, but I find it absolutetly fucking ridicoulos to question his work between 92 and 97, especially his transfer dealings.

Ppl saying that he's only been a success bc he spent a lot has to understand the not-so-minor point that he transformed a struggling 2nd division club to a title contender in a few years, which essentially means he made the ~40th best club in English football the 2nd best. That can't be done with coaching or with great tactics alone, the only way to do that is to sign a dozen of quality players, and sadly, they cost massive money.

And what's the problem with spending big anyway? As long as it bears fruit - and it certainly did during Keegan - and it's sustainable - it didn't cripple the club's finances iirc - I don't really see the backside of spending top cash on top players, basically that's how all football clubs operate, apart from the Newcastle United nowadays of course.

If your argument is that somebody else could've done the same with the money Keegan spent, there's certainly truth in that, but my guess would be that none of those people would've touched a bad 2nd div team.

And I agree that it's completely irrelevant how much other teams have spent during those years, bc the rest of the teams fighting along for the title weren't sitting in the second part of the div2 table a couple of years earlier.

You can go on about how he bottled it, how he wasn't a winner, how he walked a thousand times in his career, how he wasn't a tactical genius, and surely a lot if that's true, but bashing his transfer policy is complete nonsense.

(One more thing: it cost Abramovic 100m to make 4th placed Chelsea 2nd in the PL, and around 100m more to make them win it, and that was also before football went totally crazy, since it went crazy mostly bc of him. Of course theres been infaltion between 97 and 03 but still.)

I hope those of you having a pop at KK realise you have played directly into the hands of Llambias, who leaked the story about the £25m to the press. The bastards in charge have deliberately tried to ruin Keegan and his standing amongst Newcastle fans and have succeeded in doing so in a lot of people.

They must be laughing their tits off at what they've done to an NUFC legend.

I hope those of you having a pop at KK realise you have played directly into the hands of Llambias, who leaked the story about the £25m to the press. The bastards in charge have deliberately tried to ruin Keegan and his standing amongst Newcastle fans and have succeeded in doing so in a lot of people.

The ashley bummers cant see it tho.

Slurping up ashleys love juice by the glass full.

Probably all part of their masterplan.Shearer's character assassination will be next.

only the mugs who didnt see his toon team

only the mugs who didnt see his toon team

True - in fairness a lot of them were probably too young to have seen the team in all their glory and won't have the same affection for him as we do - but I wouldn't turn on Jackie Milburn if some cockney twat said I should, just because I didn't see him play.

Well that just rounds off NUFC.com dig at David Craig the other week. Next time anyone see's  him surround by charvas & that little fat bald bloke tell Davey  to fuck off from me!!!