Shepherd Has His Say (Again)

Tooj

He didn't write that you know? Somebody edited it. FACT. Apparently  :laugh2:

Despite it being on his own website.  FACT. :laugh2:

wrong again.

bluelaugh.gif

So it's not your post then?

sorry to disappoint you Liam but I didn't post that and nor is it on my website. You're wrong on 2 counts mate.

Do you think if I had posted that I would have left it there for so long, without any "edited by" quotes at the bottom ........

Baggy must be pretty upset again at me for running rings around him so often .........   mackems.gif

It only took you half of the day to come up with the excuse that it had been edited. :lol:

Practically admitting you said it here btw.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=12503&view=findpost&p=299263

you mean half a day before I knew it had been posted  mackems.gif

Hows your man denis the DOF getting on lately ? Still happy that we will be playing near you next season ?

Careful, don't hoy your toys out of the pram again

Don't worry Steve I won't do a Keegan.

I notice you're still avoiding the thread about the accounts btw, I'm not sure I would fancy facing up to the mess your hero fat Fred left us in financially either if I were you.

don't worry about it Matthew lad, just look forward to seeing us play in Bristol next season, or soon, courtesy of your man Mike and his mate Dennis the DOF

NE5 blatantly fishing for a floor to sleep on when we visit Bristol. :lol:

I've been to Bristol, don't particularly want to go there and didn't think we would until soopa Mike walked through the door.

Bobby Robson had left the club when we signed Boumsong so I don't see your point, it was up to the manager at that time.

The manager also decided to buy Luque, Shepherd wasnt a scout.

If you think September is the wrong time to appoint a manager, you must have been against the appointment of Bobby Robson I take it ?

Bobby Robson looked at both Balde and Boumsong as possible replacements for Woodgate.

Indeed, Robson told Shepherd Boumsong wasn't worth it on a free, then Souness convinced Shepherd he was worth £8m.  You couldn't make it up :(

so he is saying that the chairman of the club should act on the advice of an ex manager rather than the current one, and you are agreeing with him ?

haha, you couldn't make it up.

I don't expect to see you accusing the chairman of the club interfering in transfers in future, having now said you think he should  bluelaugh.gif

I think the point is more that you back the right manager.  Or "Top Boss" if you prefer ;)

Bobby Robson had left the club when we signed Boumsong so I don't see your point, it was up to the manager at that time.

If you think September is the wrong time to appoint a manager, you must have been against the appointment of Bobby Robson I take it ?

Bobby Robson looked at both Balde and Boumsong as possible replacements for Woodgate.

Indeed, Robson told Shepherd Boumsong wasn't worth it on a free, then Souness convinced Shepherd he was worth £8m.  You couldn't make it up :(

NE5 was a fan of Boumsong tbf, mind you he also thought Glen Roeder was a better choice as manager than Martin O'Neill. :lol:

Freddie's just trying to deflect attention from the recent accounts which don't reflect well on him and his spongeing family. Obviously Bruce Shepherd had the best warehouses available in the whole of Newcastle, and young Ken was picked as an agent because he was the best agent around, not because he was fatso's son  O0

the only family in the world  ........

You couldn't make it up if you tried. Any stick will do.

i'm embarrased for you, any defence will do

Not defending anything, I'm embarrassed for you lot given the current state of the club since the change of ownership was made, because at the end of the day, this and other comments he has made, and SJH too, are all totally and completely irrelevant to what happens on a football pitch and how the club is run by its owners.

i'm ignoring everthing past the first part because its irrelevant to what i posted. explain how you posting 'the only family in the world......' in a response to a post that accused shepherd of nepotism is not you leaping to his defence at the first opportunity. again, its this sort of thing that shows your agenda as the one true voice in defense of shepherd, and it undermines any shred of subjectivity that you might have shown towards him in the past.

you just cant help shooting yourself in the foot, hence the embarassment.

basically, its as I posted. Any stick whatsover to beat the fat bastard with.

I don't expect its escaped your notice the state we are now in, despite having new owners, that the majority of people wanted, on the basis that "anybody but Shepherd would do better", having been told by myself and one or two others that backing managers and showing ambition wasn't an automatic thing, but a matter of choice.

We now have an owner who has chosen not to back his managers and show ambition, and the whole point is still lost on you and others. Personalities have nothing to do with this, and I have to feel sorry for people with such mind boggling lack of perception and judgement. Amazing beyond belief.

do you want to talk about what i posted? about you defending shepherd on a charge of nepotism? or do you want to talk about mike ashley?

I'm not the only one "defending" Shepherd as you call it. There are one or two others who realise that despite their faults, nobody is perfect, we had good directors, and now we don't.

That is the whole crust of what I've been saying though. Most people can't see, and they still don't, which is absolutely amazing.

Do you honestly think that nobody in business extend contracts for services to family and friends ? It happens everywhere........

and as the photos linked by spence show, it doesn't look that bad either, wouldn't you agree ?

The way people go on about these warehouses, you would think its the reason Graham Fenton stuck those goals past Hislop or something.....still, as I said to mick, his good old days now that the terrible board we used to have are gone, are back on the horizon and getting closer.

Mike Ashley doesn't rent out warehouses to family so the future is brighter than its been for years.

so he is saying that the chairman of the club should act on the advice of an ex manager rather than the current one, and you are agreeing with him ?

I don't expect to see you accusing the chairman of the club interfering in transfers in future, having now said you think he should  bluelaugh.gif

I think the point is more that you back the right manager.  Or "Top Boss" if you prefer ;)

oh well, I don't think the club, or any club, deliberately appoint a manager they think will do a poor job.

You've still got your unrealistic hat on today haven't you  :laugh:

I'm not the only one "defending" Shepherd as you call it. There are one or two others who realise that despite their faults, nobody is perfect, we had good directors, and now we don't.

That is the whole crust of what I've been saying though. Most people can't see, and they still don't, which is absolutely amazing.

Sorry, bit confused by what you just said there. Did you perhaps mean "thrust"?  ???

oh well, I don't think the club, or any club, deliberately appoint a manager they think will do a poor job.

Most people who ask you a question on here must wear that unrealistic hat.

Have you been in the finances thread yet?

Sorry, bit confused by what you just said there. Did you perhaps mean "thrust"?  ???

well spotted, pleased you're paying attention  ;D

NE5 on this thread reminds me of Hitler in his bunker, insanely ordering the disposition of imaginary regiments long after the war is obviously lost.

have you found your village yet ?

Would you like me to link you to that question yet, how many times have you avoided it now ?

nope.

Haven't read it. I'm sure it will be full of people obsessed with finding fault with Shepherd and telling us how you can be successful in football by spending nothing and not running up debts, just like manU, Arsenal and Liverpool do.

nope.

Haven't read it. I'm sure it will be full of people obsessed with finding fault with Shepherd and telling us how you can be successful in football by spending nothing and not running up debts, just like manU, Arsenal and Liverpool do.

again...for the nth time.....they make operating profits which mean debt is a viable way of financing.

we don't.

you know this but like the "more times in europe" stuff you use it to give an overview of their time as a whole instead of where we were and where we were going at the time they left.

i'll ask again.....at which point do you think it is dodgy to keep on adding to the debts ?

nope.

It's not.  Honest.  You should have a read of it.

Like you haven't fucking read it ;)

nope.

again...for the nth time.....they make operating profits which mean debt is a viable way of financing.

we don't.

you know this but like the "more times in europe" stuff you use it to give an overview of their time as a whole instead of where we were and where we were going at the time they left.

i'll ask again.....at which point do you think it is dodgy to keep on adding to the debts ?

we have to borrow now, don't we ? To get away from the bottom of the league, and if we don't, then its "wasted" money ?

Do you think we should carry on with what we have and hope to get clear, and carry on further for the next few years ? What do they do when the gates and revenue go down as a result of struggling ? How can you give such guarantees in football the likes of which you are looking for ? Competing at the top is all about investmen in players, its continuous investment, all the time. Don't you see this ? Do you think if Shepherd was chairman we would be sitting back and doing nothing ? They would be attempting to get away and quite right too.

nope.

You'll not find one person who say you can be sucessful by spending nothing. Try again.

nope.

we don't.

we have to borrow now, don't we ? To get away from the bottom of the league, and if we don't, then its "wasted" money ?

Do you think we should carry on with what we have and hope to get clear, and carry on further for the next few years ? What do they do when the gates and revenue go down as a result of struggling ? How can you give such guarantees in football the likes of which you are looking for ? Competing at the top is all about investmen in players, its continuous investment, all the time. Don't you see this ? Do you think if Shepherd was chairman we would be sitting back and doing nothing ? They would be attempting to get away and quite right too.

so....do you think we should just keep on racking up debt year on year ?

(you see, i think thats what has got us to the position we are in)

give me a straight answer, a "yes or no" if you will and i'll answer all your questions. it's been all one way so far.

nope.

Christ you've posted some crap on here (haven't we all), but that has to top it all.  Of course you've read that fucking thread man.  :lol:

Although I perfectly understand why you might not want to give an opinion on it.

In 1997 a pile of money was put into the club when it became a PLC. From that date on no individual put any fresh money, all the subsequent finances came from bums on seats, merchadise sales, and Sky.

No member of the Hall family, nor the Shepherd family put any more in than I did.

The great lump of money has now gone, in fact it was gone by the middle of 2006/2007 season. At that point the club had nothing more to borrow against. The sponsorship money had been taken early and we were in the magical position that we were payign interest to our sponsors, for the pleasure of their sponsorship. We had borrowed against the ground, we had borrowed against he academy. In the last year before Ashley bought us we had borrowed against the next season's Sky money. There was nothing left to borrow against. It was easy to spot how nervous lenders were as they were charging NUFC over 11.7% interest on the loan guaranteed by the Sky money.

In the ten years Shepherd was "in control" we had an income of £708m, a fantastic amount. In that time though Shepherd sanctioned the spending of £822m. Now he didn't put any of his own money in to make up that £114m difference, he just spent, spent, spent.

Eventually the banks said stop. Given how easy it was for anyone to get credit at that time this was an amazing state of affairs. It was clear that all we were doing was borrowing money, at ever higher interest rates to try and pay for the earlier loans.

As someone said elsewhere earn £40k a year and spend £50k a year and for a while you'll have a great lifestyle. You look like you can pay back your loans so people lend you ever more money. Eventually someone notices and refuses more loans. The wife complains bitterly because you've stopped spending on her the way you always did.

If the money put in at the PLC launch had been used to pay off the stadium mortgage at ~£4m a year, there would have now been nothing left to pay. The £4m a year was spent elsewhere, more deserving.

The decline in worth of the club is shown below. It could easily be argued Shepherd knew what he was doing up to 2005.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2008/assets1.gif

Freddy Shepherd's message to Toon owner Ashley

Jan 25 2009 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

FORMER Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd last night called for current owner Mike Ashley to take responsibility for the club’s dire predicament . . .

By returning to St James’s Park and taking a hands-on role in United’s fight for Premier League survival.

And Shepherd blasted Magpies manager Joe Kinnear for blaming “everyone but himself” for his side’s problems.

In a wide-ranging and often damning evaluation of Ashley’s running of Newcastle, Shepherd also:

:: URGED Ashley to replace managing director Derek Llambias with someone experienced in running a Premier League club.

:: INSISTED Ashley deserves no sympathy amid United’s deepening crisis, maintaining he “got the club on the cheap”.

:: DESCRIBED the possible repercussions of relegation as “unthinkable”.

:: DEFENDED his own overall legacy at St James’s Park.

With Newcastle in apparent freefall towards the relegation zone, struggling to strengthen their threadbare squad this month and at risk of losing stars like Shay Given and Michael Owen, their prospects look bleak.

But although Ashley has said United are no longer for sale, he has not been seen on Tyneside for the near five months since Kevin Keegan quit St James’s in September.

That has to change, according to Shepherd — as does Ashley’s choice of man to run the club in his absence.

“It’s clear that many fans are fearful over what they see as the lack of leadership at the club,” Shepherd declared.

“The owner has to restore confidence by showing himself in public at St. James’s Park and taking a hands-on role.

“He’s had a lot of flak from disgruntled fans, but they have a right to call it as they see it.

“I got plenty of stick during my time in charge, but not even my sternest critics can accuse me of hiding. I was always there in the firing line.

“You’ve got to be brave enough to step up to the plate. Mike Ashley must show leadership in the tricky months that lie ahead.”

And a good leader should delegate responsibility to the right people, according to Shepherd.

“The single most important thing he (Ashley) must do is to immediately recruit someone to run the club who has a background in top football administration.

“The club is crying out for a chairman or a chief executive who has experience of running a big football club.

“That’s not a job application because I’ve had my time. But Ashley must find someone who knows how to run a football club.”

Amid the crisis, United’s latest published accounts have prompted sympathy in some quarters for Ashley, who has loaned the club £100 million — and is understood to have taken out a new mortgage-style bank borrowing — to keep it afloat.

Shepherd sees things differently.

“No one should feel sorry for Mike Ashley,” he said. “He got the club on the cheap.

“He got a fantastic deal when Sir John Hall sold out and set the price at £134 million.

“The value of the property and the playing assets that he got was at least three times what he paid for the club.

“He got a state-of-the-art 52,000-seater stadium — which you couldn’t build today for less than £400 million — as well as a brand new training complex, an Academy and a squad of players that was bursting with internationals.”

And Shepherd is insistent that a basic lack of planning has cost Ashley dear — as have several key mistakes.

“There is no use him (Ashley) bleating about the debt he inherited,” said Shepherd. “Had he bothered to check he would have known that there was a £57 million securitisation settlement required when Sir John Hall sold.

“And when he sells the club, there is an agreement that the money he has loaned the club will all be paid back to him.

“I have never to this day understood why he didn’t undertake due diligence.

“The simple truth is that Mr Ashley didn’t do his homework before buying.”

Shepherd added: “They (Newcastle) have been unlucky in some respects — it isn’t all down to bad management — but mistakes have clearly been made.

“Some of the losses on the latest accounts are the result of decisions taken by the owner.

“He decided to sack Sam Allardyce as manager after just 24 games, and that cost £4.6 million.

“And the events that led to Kevin Keegan’s departure could also have serious financial consequences for the next accounts.”

Kinnear‘s suggestion that Allardyce and Keegan are to blame for Newcastle’s on-field problems also got short shrift from Shepherd.

“I thought it was extremely unfair to blame the two previous managers for the lack of depth in the present squad,” he rapped.

“I know those two guys well and they, like all my other managers, would have always been fighting to squeeze as much money for signings as they could.

“Kinnear has blamed Keegan, blamed Allardyce, moaned that the squad isn’t good enough and complained that the fans don’t understand.

“It seems that Joe Kinnear blames everyone but himself.”

On a similar theme, Shepherd admitted: “I know I made mistakes during my time, but I am still proud of my legacy.

“During my time, we went from a struggling team in the Championship playing in a ramshackle ground to a club that almost won the Premier League and ended up in one of the best stadia in the country.

“We signed world-class stars, attracted top managers, played 120 matches in Europe, got to two FA Cup Finals and had four Wembley appearances.

“The proof that we were doing something very right was in the house-full signs that we had up for nearly 15 years.

“If Mike Ashley could achieve that sort of transformation he would have done remarkably well.”

And Shepherd insisted: “It saddens me like any supporter to see the plight the club is in.

“Like every Newcastle fan I am praying that they can survive this season because the repercussions of relegation are unthinkable.”

:clap:

nope.

mackems.gif

Please don't come on to the finances thread, NE5. The reality of the club's financial position is depressing enough without having to watch you flail around looking for ways to ignore it.

nope.

Christ you've posted some crap on here (haven't we all), but that has to top it all.  Of course you've read that fucking thread man.  :lol:

Although I perfectly understand why you might not want to give an opinion on it.

sorry to disappoint you but the answer is still nope, I haven't.

In 1997 a pile of money was put into the club when it became a PLC. From that date on no individual put any fresh money, all the subsequent finances came from bums on seats, merchadise sales, and Sky.

No member of the Hall family, nor the Shepherd family put any more in than I did.

The great lump of money has now gone, in fact it was gone by the middle of 2006/2007 season. At that point the club had nothing more to borrow against. The sponsorship money had been taken early and we were in the magical position that we were payign interest to our sponsors, for the pleasure of their sponsorship. We had borrowed against the ground, we had borrowed against he academy. In the last year before Ashley bought us we had borrowed against the next season's Sky money. There was nothing left to borrow against. It was easy to spot how nervous lenders were as they were charging NUFC over 11.7% interest on the loan guaranteed by the Sky money.

In the ten years Shepherd was "in control" we had an income of £708m, a fantastic amount. In that time though Shepherd sanctioned the spending of £822m. Now he didn't put any of his own money in to make up that £114m difference, he just spent, spent, spent.

Eventually the banks said stop. Given how easy it was for anyone to get credit at that time this was an amazing state of affairs. It was clear that all we were doing was borrowing money, at ever higher interest rates to try and pay for the earlier loans.

As someone said elsewhere earn £40k a year and spend £50k a year and for a while you'll have a great lifestyle. You look like you can pay back your loans so people lend you ever more money. Eventually someone notices and refuses more loans. The wife complains bitterly because you've stopped spending on her the way you always did.

If the money put in at the PLC launch had been used to pay off the stadium mortgage at ~£4m a year, there would have now been nothing left to pay. The £4m a year was spent elsewhere, more deserving.

The decline in worth of the club is shown below. It could easily be argued Shepherd knew what he was doing up to 2005.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2008/assets1.gif

do you still think anybody but Shepherd would be better for the club, in particular Adam Crozier, who you named ?

Please don't come on to the finances thread, NE5. The reality of the club's financial position is depressing enough without having to watch you flail around looking for ways to ignore it.

Apparently he tried Scarborough but they said the vacency was already taken.