Shepherd Has His Say (Again)

Tooj

Bobby Robson had left the club when we signed Boumsong so I don't see your point, it was up to the manager at that time.

The manager also decided to buy Luque, Shepherd wasnt a scout.

If you think September is the wrong time to appoint a manager, you must have been against the appointment of Bobby Robson I take it ?

Bobby Robson looked at both Balde and Boumsong as possible replacements for Woodgate.

Indeed, Robson told Shepherd Boumsong wasn't worth it on a free, then Souness convinced Shepherd he was worth £8m.  You couldn't make it up :(

so he is saying that the chairman of the club should act on the advice of an ex manager rather than the current one, and you are agreeing with him ?

haha, you couldn't make it up.

I don't expect to see you accusing the chairman of the club interfering in transfers in future, having now said you think he should  bluelaugh.gif

I think the point is more that you back the right manager.  Or "Top Boss" if you prefer ;)

oh well, I don't think the club, or any club, deliberately appoint a manager they think will do a poor job.

You've still got your unrealistic hat on today haven't you  :laugh:

Most people who ask you a question on here must wear that unrealistic hat.

Have you been in the finances thread yet?

nope.

Haven't read it. I'm sure it will be full of people obsessed with finding fault with Shepherd and telling us how you can be successful in football by spending nothing and not running up debts, just like manU, Arsenal and Liverpool do.

mackems.gif

I'm not sure what you find so funny, but you should read up your history of the club, league positions and value of it pre-1992.

It might help you realise that the Halls and Shepherd didn't bring an end to decades of glorious success, unless you count challenging for the 2nd division title.

Guest sittingontheball

According to Robson, he didn't want Stephen Carr or Nicky Butt. But we signed them anyway.

We also got rid of Speed, apparently to Robson's chagrin.

We didn't strengthen in 2003 even though everyone knew it was necessary. Instead Shepherd boasted

“We have put them in their place, and are now widely recognised as the third-biggest club in the Premiership. That’s not just in this country, not just in Europe, either, but worldwide.”

So there you go, one season above them and we're bigger than Liverpool worldwide.  :kasper: :idiot2: mackems.gif

Souness has also spoken of interference in transfers. There is clearly plenty of fire for all this smoke.

In case anyone has forgotten, all the controversy about Keegan revolves around financial support and who does the buying and selling.

Robson especially could have walked for the same reasons.

Luque's comments about signing echo Seth Johnson's at Leeds. He couldn't believe the ridiculous wages he was offered and gladly accepted.

Shepherd inherited a successful money-making team. Ashley bought a debt-ridden mess. He's had a year and a half, but all we've seen is further instability and no progress, except for the wages %. For all the heartache, humiliation and joke of a manager though, we're still midtable with the same number of points we normally have, give or take two or three. Our situation now is nothing new. Just two years ago, the team of "internationals" Shepherd left us got 43 points and would have been fighting relegation till the last game in that season had we not scraped a 2-1 against Sheff Utd with a few to go. Those internationals include names like Craig Moore, Gooch, Stephen Carr, Babayaro....

Please don't come on to the finances thread, NE5. The reality of the club's financial position is depressing enough without having to watch you flail around looking for ways to ignore it.

have you found your village yet ?

Apparently he tried Scarborough but they said the vacency was already taken.

getting excited are we  mackems.gif

According to Robson, he didn't want Stephen Carr or Nicky Butt. But we signed them anyway.

We didn't strengthen in 2003 even though everyone knew it was necessary. Instead Shepherd boasted

“We have put them in their place, and are now widely recognised as the third-biggest club in the Premiership. That’s not just in this country, not just in Europe, either, but worldwide.”

So there you go, one season above them and we're bigger than Liverpool worldwide.  :kasper: :idiot2: mackems.gif

Souness has also spoken of interference in transfers. There is clearly plenty of fire for all this smoke.

In case anyone has forgotten, all the controversy about Keegan revolves around financial support and who does the buying and selling.

there was nothing to stop him doing it if he had felt like Keegan did.

nobody leaves when they get support like this, although some people who are obsessed with slating the fat bastard still insist he really wanted Anelka

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Souness added: "The chairman nearly fell off his seat when I handed him a piece of paper saying this was the man I wanted.

"There are few people capable of filling Alan Shearer's shirt, but Michael is one of them.

"Our fans will love him because he's an honest lad and a world-class goalscorer, and he will be great in the dressing room.

"It was great before but it will be even better now - we've really done the business with this one."

By the way, you aren't the first person to forget we signed Woodgate in 2003, if it doesn't suit your opinion, google for the date  bluelaugh.gif

nobody leaves when they get support like this, although some people who are obsessed with slating the fat bastard still insist he really wanted Anelka

Souness added: "The chairman nearly fell off his seat when I handed him a piece of paper saying this was the man I wanted.

"There are few people capable of filling Alan Shearer's shirt, but Michael is one of them.

"Our fans will love him because he's an honest lad and a world-class goalscorer, and he will be great in the dressing room.

"It was great before but it will be even better now - we've really done the business with this one."

Surely him claiming everything was alright back then is similar to Keegan claiming everything was alright when he was still here?

The reason Souness didn't walk out is the same reason he didn't when it was clear his time was up here, to get his hands on the money.

Bobby Robson had left the club when we signed Boumsong so I don't see your point, it was up to the manager at that time.

The manager also decided to buy Luque, Shepherd wasnt a scout.

If you think September is the wrong time to appoint a manager, you must have been against the appointment of Bobby Robson I take it ?

Bobby Robson looked at both Balde and Boumsong as possible replacements for Woodgate.

Indeed, Robson told Shepherd Boumsong wasn't worth it on a free, then Souness convinced Shepherd he was worth £8m.  You couldn't make it up :(

so he is saying that the chairman of the club should act on the advice of an ex manager rather than the current one, and you are agreeing with him ?

haha, you couldn't make it up.

I don't expect to see you accusing the chairman of the club interfering in transfers in future, having now said you think he should  bluelaugh.gif

I think the point is more that you back the right manager.  Or "Top Boss" if you prefer ;)

oh well, I don't think the club, or any club, deliberately appoint a manager they think will do a poor job.

You've still got your unrealistic hat on today haven't you  :laugh:

Most people who ask you a question on here must wear that unrealistic hat.

Have you been in the finances thread yet?

nope.

Haven't read it. I'm sure it will be full of people obsessed with finding fault with Shepherd and telling us how you can be successful in football by spending nothing and not running up debts, just like manU, Arsenal and Liverpool do.

mackems.gif

I'm not sure what you find so funny, but you should read up your history of the club, league positions and value of it pre-1992.

It might help you realise that the Halls and Shepherd didn't bring an end to decades of glorious success, unless you count challenging for the 2nd division title.

Hey, don't get me wrong, a part of me is a big fan of the Halls and Shepherds. They saved us and pushed us upwards, and (while lately they pretty much royally fucked us, right) there were some good time, really good times.

Was just surprised that you hadn't even looked at a thread that concerns issues that have a rather large bearing on the club at the moment.

Surely him claiming everything was alright back then is similar to Keegan claiming everything was alright when he was still here?

The reason Souness didn't walk out is the same reason he didn't when it was clear his time was up here, to get his hands on the money.

is it your time of the month again

I wish Shepherd would keep his trap shut.  His time is over, I doubt Ashley is going to listen to his advice, and he won't sway his critics.  We'd all be better off if he kept a dignified silence tbh rather than putting ammo in Fleet Street's shit cannon to fire at us.

Guest sittingontheball

Nobody's forgotten Woodgate.  He played in the 6-2 defeat to ManU at SJP in April 2003. Unlike some of our recent toastings, we were actually at near-full strength that day (no Speed or Robert only) and it was already 4-1 at half time. Our response to that game and its many shortcomings was a single signing, Bowyer on a free.  Now if it were not risky enough signing a single player for the next campaign, we went and got about the only lad in the country facing a long European ban and then did not even register him so that the ban would be served. The predictable result was bye bye CL and bye bye CL revenue.

The rest is all old ground so I'll leave it here.

Nobody's forgotten Woodgate.  He played in the 6-2 defeat to ManU at SJP in April 2003. Unlike some of our recent toastings, we were actually at near-full strength that day (no Speed or Robert only) and it was already 4-1 at half time. Our response to that game and its many shortcomings was a single signing, Bowyer on a free.  Now if it were not risky enough signing a single player for the next campaign, we went and got about the only lad in the country facing a long European ban and then did not even register him so that the ban would be served. The predictable result was bye bye CL and bye bye CL revenue.

The rest is all old ground so I'll leave it here.

:clap: Certainly the gravest error our then powder-puff chairman had made during his tenure. A bigger mistake than hiring Souness and appointing the fans' no.1 choice Glen Roeder.

Sometimes when I think of Ashley and this mess, I feel nostalgic about the Shepherd era and the good times we had back then. But then I remember the total shambles and cobblers of a job he'd done to send us into a spiraling free-fall and thank the lord someone was stupid enough to buy him out and rid the club of him.

Guest toonlass

Oooooh NE5, is your nose getting bigger? Are your pants on fire? If you haven't looked at the finances thread why was your name in the users currently looking at it several times?

Oooooh NE5, is your nose getting bigger? Are your pants on fire? If you haven't looked at the finances thread why was your name in the users currently looking at it several times?

:lol: you know he's telling fibs. he just can't justify his undying support for someone who's been shown to have been dragging the club down into a deep dark abyss. i'll be very surprised if he actually gives in and posts in that thread tbh

:lol: you know he's telling fibs. he just can't justify his undying support for someone who's been shown to have been dragging the club down into a deep dark abyss. i'll be very surprised if he actually gives in and posts in that thread tbh

from where we came, in the interests of balance...not like we had decades of top flight stability is it?

from where we came, in the interests of balance...not like we had decades of top flight stability is it?

which was relative obscurity was it not?

which was relative obscurity was it not?

uhuh, which is where we'll end up again imo, i'm saying it's not as if FS has contributed so much to the demise of arsenal, say, who've never been out of the top flight (and everton iirc)

Considering Shepherds record on managers (he went for Allardyce - and paid MORE to get him too - instead of Martin O'Neill who was WAITING for the call) and a host of other reasons, he's got a bit of a cheek

Yes, Ashleys made an absolute mess.

But so did Shepherd, from a FAR better starting point.

I haven't looked at it. By the way, I've responded to some of your previous posts directed at me, and predictably you have joined the list of those who are unable to reply and prove me wrong, when you would love to if you could.

Are you someone else that insisted we would be better off without the fat bastard [for anybody] ?

I'll save you the bother of speculating. I've said why I've no intention of reading it, which should in all honesty suit those who say I spoil every thread by debating about the old board and why the new one pales in comparison.

How long do you think it will be until someone, anyone, including Mike Ashley, matches those european qualifications that the shite board did ?

Not only has Sir Fred Shepherd gave us more European football than the top 4, he is on the front of the Chron the day & is going to sort the region out 3K worth of jobs.

things will be just great when we are running a solvent club in the league position that the likes of Sheff Wed are in. Just what people want, it would seem.

Guest toonlass

I haven't looked at it. By the way, I've responded to some of your previous posts directed at me, and predictably you have joined the list of those who are unable to reply and prove me wrong, when you would love to if you could.

Are you someone else that insisted we would be better off without the fat bastard [for anybody] ?

Which questions have you asked me, sorry if I missed them but your perpetual arse kissing of Freddy Shepherd sends me to sleep.

Which fat bastard are you on about, Shepherd or Ashley?

Which questions have you asked me, sorry if I missed them but your perpetual arse kissing of Freddy Shepherd sends me to sleep.

Which fat bastard are you on about, Shepherd or Ashley?

well, we are certainly not better off since the last ownership change are we, but I thought that soopa Mike was going to be the saviour to end all those embarrassing days of qualifying regularly for europe ?