Ryan Taylor

Dave

The only games this season I can remember him starting right wing were, Man U, QPR and Villa. 

Man U he was pretty poor, but nobody really deserves criticism after that result.  Despite that, many rightly pointed out he was our worst player on the night, misplaced a lot of passes, caught in possession, didn't offer much going the other way.  Many were still just pleased to see Obertan out the team.

Against QPR wide right he was horrendous, there was no link up whatsoever between him and Simpson or the rest of the midfield.  His crossing from open play isn't actually all that and he's slow and one dimensional.  The performance improved massively once we shifted to the 4-2-3-1 and Raylor came off the right wing.

Villa he was marginally better, but all the points in the above paragraph are still valid.  Again, we improved massively once he came off the right wing (and pitch this time).

If he starts against Wolves, which he probably will, I expect a drab, cagey affair.  Do we really need to start two wingers that virtually play as second full backs at home to a team like Wolves?  No, but we probably will.

I don't mind Raylor.  He'll score some class goals, he can cover numerous positions, seems to have a great attitude and his set pieces are an added bonus.  Not going to lie though, when I see his name on the teamsheet at right wing for home games, I get pretty f***ed off.

Good post  :thup:

The only games this season I can remember him starting right wing were, Man U, QPR and Villa. 

Man U he was pretty poor, but nobody really deserves criticism after that result.  Despite that, many rightly pointed out he was our worst player on the night, misplaced a lot of passes, caught in possession, didn't offer much going the other way.  Many were still just pleased to see Obertan out the team.

Against QPR wide right he was horrendous, there was no link up whatsoever between him and Simpson or the rest of the midfield.  His crossing from open play isn't actually all that and he's slow and one dimensional.  The performance improved massively once we shifted to the 4-2-3-1 and Raylor came off the right wing.

Villa he was marginally better, but all the points in the above paragraph are still valid.  Again, we improved massively once he came off the right wing (and pitch this time).

If he starts against Wolves, which he probably will, I expect a drab, cagey affair.  Do we really need to start two wingers that virtually play as second full backs at home to a team like Wolves?  No, but we probably will.

I don't mind Raylor.  He'll score some class goals, he can cover numerous positions, seems to have a great attitude and his set pieces are an added bonus.  Not going to lie though, when I see his name on the teamsheet at right wing for home games, I get pretty f***ed off.

In any case though, I'd have Raylor over Obertan any day. But of course, to my mind, Ben Arfa should be ahead of both but I do have a belief that Raylor might be useful out there (primarily as protection for Simpson and I do think his crosses are decent enough like I said above) if Pardew decides to deploy a conservative system. I also thought he linked up well with Simpson actually (only at times though) in the Man U game at St. James'.

Though, the best case scenario would be for Ben Arfa to get an extended run of games in the starting lineup whereby he'll properly understand/have a feel of his responsibilities (attacking and defending) in the team. Alternatively move Jonas to the right to give Simpson protection and start Ben Arfa on the left.

He's played every position he has been asked, scored a couple of vital goals from left back, and made several vital goal-line clearances. Yes.

:lol: ffs. Where would we be without Demba Ba this season?

Where would we be without Ryan Taylor this season?

Have we won a game when he hasn't played? Serious question.

No - don't think so. But we haven't played many games without him.

Fair dues, but we have won games without Ba, if I remember correctly.

It's easy for anyone to say Ba because of his goals, but actually our strong defensive unit was our platform for our success. From anything up until around Tottenham at home.

(this isn't a go at you btw, or anyone for that matter.)

It's easy for anyone to say Ba because of his goals, but actually our strong defensive unit was our platform for our success. From anything up until around Tottenham at home.

Ryan Taylor has only ever been a hindrance to a defensive unit.

Ryan Taylor has only ever been a hindrance to a defensive unit.

No more so than Williamson, Simpson or Santon.

EDIT: ...and before the Santon wankfest starts, he is undoubtedly a better player than Taylor, and offers more attacking threat in general play. Nevertheless, Ryan Taylor has still scored more, created more and blocked more thus far this season.

Can't knock him when he's not left back tbf to him. Played central midfield at Rovers and our first goal came as a result of it, right midfield against Villa and he made the first, he's offered far more than just a dead ball threat. Can definitely see him wide right in a similar team to what beat Man U.

Ryan Taylor = Player of the season.

This is a joke?aren't you a shola fan as well Heza.Raylor massively affects our fluidity,passing,movement and shape.I only want to see him getting sub appearances

I'm not a Shola fan, I'm more of a "Don't follow the general consensus because it seems the popular thing to do" kinda guy. Obertan and Shola are undoubtedly our scapegoats, regardless of the good things they sometimes 9and I appreciate rarely) do. People like Ben Arfa and Santon get wanked over, but in reality it's our lesser players this season who have 'upped their game' who made the difference. We have a quaity spine in our squad with very good footballers - Krul, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and possibly Cisse, but like it or not it's the Jonas', Simpsons' and Taylors of our squad who have made us excel better than we had originally expected.

Players might not be the best in terms of ability, but football is more than simply just that.

Yup. We've had to rely a lot on squad players this year and to be fair the likes of Raylor, Guthrie and Perch have rarely let us down.